PDA

View Full Version : Best figures .

colVR4
18-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Okay, I know this is a bit geeky but I thought I would share anyway..

Just ran the tank down until the fuel light started flashing. Filled up as soon as I could on Optimax.

The figures are as follows:

343.6 miles from last refill
50.69 litres to fill it back up
£40.50 @ 79.9p per litre

They are definately the best figures I have had so far. I wasn't driving any less enthusiastically either, but I have put some redex..or whatever it is.. through my system recently and replaced the air filter with a K&N panel replacement.

Only hope that this keeps up :D

Nick VR4
18-11-2003, 01:58 PM
Good info Col

Can't see me getting 343.6 miles on a tank ;) :D

enigma
18-11-2003, 02:03 PM
I have done about 260 miles in my VR4, but I reckon 210 is more normal. However I never run it that empty, with about 47 litres the maximum I have ever put in.

colVR4
18-11-2003, 02:27 PM
I usually only run it into the last quarter before filling. I read somewhere that letting it run too low can drag all the crap from the bottom of the tank through the filter blocking it up and restricting fuel flow which can seriously affect power.

Maybe a new fuel filter will add more 'GLS power' Kieran :D

Kieran
18-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Hehehe! You can never have enough GLS Power:D:D

Hmm. I did have a severe arse-clenching "no petrol" moment when I got stuck on the M1... I'd already done 35 miles with the fuel light on!!!:eek: God knows how I got another 10 miles out of it before I got to a petrol station!
On that basis, the filter could well be crapped up.

Christ, those figures INSERT INTO post VALUES (works out at 30mpg) are what I used to get, and it's dropped some since then!:mad: Something ain't right!:nono:

Is your V6 a manual or auto Col?

colVR4
18-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Its auto with the invecs-II 4 speed. I have tried it in both trip and auto to see if there is a difference with economy, but I haven't noticed any significant change in MPG. I thought that using it in trip would mean that my foot was not constantly on the floor when accelerating.....but I did it anyway using the trip :rolleyes: .

Like I said Kieran, when I put the cleaning stuff through and put in the new filter, combined with using only Optimax now as well, the fuel economy was hugely better.

I have been contemplating getting the fuel filter checked out after I read the article, which I still may do. Plus I am going to improve the earthing to see if that helps INSERT INTO post VALUES (don't know why it would but what the hell :D )

ReggieK
18-11-2003, 05:09 PM
He he he....

I got 26 mpg the other day :D :D

All motorway of course and didn't go above 80. But had done 292 miles when light came on, filled up straight away and only got 50l in 60l tank. :cool1:

That means I had another 50 plus miles I could have done :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

zedy1
18-11-2003, 05:45 PM
the max ive ever had is 240 on a tank will check properly,

Kieran
18-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Mmmm!

The GLS is being given an 'Italian' tune up at the moment INSERT INTO post VALUES (Redex injector cleaner + late gearchanges to get it blown through!):devil5:. This certainly helped in the past - when I first rescued the GLS it was a bit thirsty too. I think you have to use it [Redex] every so many thousand miles don't you? I can't say I've been doing this!

Next stage is to check the air filter housing and element to see if it's blocked - this Sunday I feel, followed by an ECU reset - Glad I saw that post about puting the alarm into valet mode!!

I think a free-flow filter will certainly help, but I want to get back about 30mpg first. Just so I know there's not a problem brewing.

ritch_w
20-11-2003, 10:55 PM
dont know how many miles per tank - i work it out from my fuel card reciepts - but i get an average of 30mpg out of town driving and 80mph INSERT INTO post VALUES (150mile commuting) which i thinks pretty good for a 2.5 v6!

Kieran
28-11-2003, 12:14 AM
DISCLAIMER: I assure you that i'm not bull****ting here!...

The Journey down to Croydon today was fairly clear on the way down. As I was in no rush, I stuck to the slow lane in the main and set the cruise to 55mph. Hardly a realistic indicator of the GLS's combined MPG figure, but I wanted to see just what was possible if I drove it *really* gently.

And, for the first leg of the journey down there, I achieved the following: 270 miles on 29.15 litres of petrol, with some STP injector cleaner chucked in there as well.

This works out at....

42.1 MPG!!! :thumb::bow: :thumb1: :adore:

zedy1
28-11-2003, 12:18 AM
im really getting that close to put an lpg xonbersion on one off my vr4

Brind
28-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Kieran
DISCLAIMER: I assure you that i'm not bull****ting here!...

The Journey down to Croydon today was fairly clear on the way down. As I was in no rush, I stuck to the slow lane in the main and set the cruise to 55mph. Hardly a realistic indicator of the GLS's combined MPG figure, but I wanted to see just what was possible if I drove it *really* gently.

And, for the first leg of the journey down there, I achieved the following: 270 miles on 29.15 litres of petrol, with some STP injector cleaner chucked in there as well.

This works out at....

42.1 MPG!!! :thumb::bow: :thumb1: :adore:

Was it really worth humiliating the power of the ultimate GLS power by driving it like that?
You really are a Witch! :nervous:

colVR4
28-11-2003, 09:39 AM
..but I'll stick to planting the throttle and trying not to grin like a cat thats got the cream!!

I am now averaging about 300-310 per tank, which is better than I was getting when I first got the car. This all came about after a bit of redex flush!! I don't think the previous owner bothered with this :nono:

Great figures though Kieran. At least it shows what you could achieve if you had your "speed demon" cortex removed through invasive brain surgery :D

Kieran
28-11-2003, 10:01 AM
:devil5:
Hehehe...

Back to normal INSERT INTO post VALUES (ie: ~30MPG) today I think:D

GLS Power Strikes Back:D

colVR4
28-11-2003, 10:19 AM
I have been using 97 RON Optimax for a while now, but recently I had to fill up with standard premium 95 RON because I had run it a little low. I put a full tank in and have been running it for a while. I seem to be getting less mileage out of the 95 RON, so it just shows that it is worth paying that little bit more for the 97 RON to get the extra power and better fuel efficiency.

It could also be due to the cleaning agents that they put into the Optimax which is acting in a similar way to the redex?? :Ponder:

LANCERMIVEC
28-11-2003, 04:49 PM
42 MPG MITSUBISHI WOULD BE PROUD!

zedy1
28-11-2003, 08:39 PM
thats more than twice as much what i get from the vr4

jtfleming
29-11-2003, 05:13 AM
Got 911k from 58 litres with A/C on and 2 adults and 2 kids. Cruising about 110ks and full throttle overtaking. Now thats cheap running!!!:D :D

LANCERMIVEC
30-11-2003, 10:10 PM
I would love if we had the 1.8 GDI over here in britain but Mitsubishi decided not to import them here!