PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsubo Super Legalis R

Dan_G
03-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Righty,

hey all; I ordered a new exhaust back in August from hyperformance took an age to get here, but finally I got it last week... /pan

so fitted the new exhaust and BDA de-cat today... :happy:

the car was fairly quiet for the 1st 4 miles until I opened it up a bit and must have sooted up the straight through silencers... it now sounds rather frisky (as vicky butler henderson may say)... well... :evilgrin:

... with any luck the sound bite I recorded will work... and you can make your own mind up!

if you're sad like me you will appreciate a nice exhaust clip ... :2thumbsup

Axeboy
03-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Sounds quite 'gruff' to me.. :)

Ive only had:

Standard
HKS Superdragger - quite quiet, but raspy at higher revs
Blitz - deeper and louder than above, but smooth

stuartturbo
03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
sound nice think i just found a new message tone for me phone to replace the turbo'd r1

d i c k i e s
03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
sounds aight. sounds like a skyline! just like mine... somtimes u can tell the difference between a VR4 and a skyline. whenever i pull up at my mates he thinks its someone else cos it sounds just like a damn skyline.

Dan_G
03-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I think the sound clip makes the system sound more extreme than it really is when you're stood beside it...

I mean I never heard the big 'pop' when I was revving it until I listened back... :inquisiti

although I've noticed I now have to have the head unit turned up quite a bit more to hear my girls aloud CD's...

"...something kind of toot toot... " ... brilliant. :2thumbsup

Kieran
04-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Ahhh.... Yes. The warm, mellow, almost 'woody' timbre of the Fujitsubo. Very nice.

Having had 3 VR-4 exhausts and heard the other popular two several times both in car and out, this is my take on things.

Ralliart Sports back box - Essentially like the standard, just a bit more 'Gruff'. I've attached a clip of this exhaust from a little while ago - I start off at the back of Ariadne, walk to the front, then back again. At it's loudest, I have the microphone about two feet away from the exhaust tip and the car is also parked with it's back against a wall - hence why it sounds so loud - when I walk to the front of the car you can hear how quiet it is.

Standard - As above really, slightly more quiet and less burbly.

Blitz Realize-TT - Loud at cold idle, much more civilised when warmed up. As Scott says, it's smooth - it has a colder, more metallic tone than the 'woofles' of the Fujitsubo. It sounds pretty similar to the Super Drager when it's De-catted, though not quite as harsh and 'raspy'.

Fujitsubo Legalis-R Type Evolution - Best sounding exhaust IMO. Lovely and quiet on part throttle and unlike many VR-4 performance exhausts, it doesn't "drone" so much around ~2500 rpm. The note is very smooth and the cylinder pulses sound very 'slurred'... A very smooth piece of kit.

HKS Super Drager - This one sounds very gruff to me, and has a harsh, agressive quality to the exhaust tone. It is notable in that at full chat, the exhaust sounds more like a jet - The sound of the gases "shearing" out the back is quite something. Very performance focused noise, though I think it's somewhat of a megaphone around town.

d i c k i e s
04-12-2006, 12:36 AM
wish i knew what kinda exhaust i got?

BraindG
04-12-2006, 01:13 AM
HKS Super Drager - This one sounds very gruff to me, and has a harsh, agressive quality to the exhaust tone. It is notable in that at full chat, the exhaust sounds more like a jet - The sound of the gases "shearing" out the back is quite something. Very performance focused noise, though I think it's somewhat of a megaphone around town.
hmmmm, i love mine. I was even told by Chrissy not to floor it away when i drop her of cos it sounds so scary :2thumbsup

I have heard super drager on auto, and a manual.... but for some reason it sounds totally different on a manual, why i dont know.. but theres something different about it on a manual.. its way more screamy, more aaaarrrghhh....more.... more... meh, i dunno i just cant put my finger on it, it just sounds totally different :inquisiti

Gly
04-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Id have to say the fujitsubo is the best $200. ive spent on my legnum :P
they fit on the non-turbo 4wd legnums too :P

i plan to keep it if i ever get a vr4.

Polabear
04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I have heard super drager on auto, and a manual.... but for some reason it sounds totally different on a manual, why i dont know.. but theres something different about it on a manual.. its way more screamy, more aaaarrrghhh....more.... more... meh, i dunno i just cant put my finger on it, it just sounds totally different :inquisiti

Yeah Barry both Pete's and mine sounded very different, Pete's gave out a high pitched hissing howl....as K said just like a jet, mine sounded more of a hissing roar....but either way..,CAF...:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

colVR4
04-12-2006, 10:46 PM
hmm...I think my exhaust is a bit loud then compared to those sound bites. When cold it is a bit boomey, but when warm it scares small children. I will have to make a recording and see what you think :D

Paul Beazer
05-12-2006, 12:05 AM
hmm...I think my exhaust is a bit loud then compared to those sound bites. When cold it is a bit boomey, but when warm it scares small children. I will have to make a recording and see what you think :D
Of what? Scared small children? Arrggghhhh!

Dan_G
05-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Some good discussion on exhaust notes.

Must be said I reckon this thing is getting louder (in a good way)...

First Impressions:-

Decat + fujitsubo Super Legalis R is superb.

I was always of the school of less back pressure equals less torque low down the rpm's so I was expecting a heap more turbo lag until it spooled up. But the actuality of it is the reverse I have more pull from lower down than I did before.

For example cruising at 30mph in 4th gear (manual) approx 2000rpm, when I used to put my foot down absolutley nothing would happen until it hit slowly 2500rpm when it would come on boost. Now it is a different story as it will pull instantly and hit boost so much quicker that its scary. :2thumbsup

did 3 g-tech launches after fitting the system and got consitently 5.7 -5.8 sec (yeah ****e compared to everyone else, but I crap at changing gear :P) before I would be hovering around 6.0-6.2 seconds everytime and would sometimes get the perfect gearchange and get to 5.8(ish).

but anyway I reckon its made a huge difference. The only problem now is the fact I love the sound it makes when you really cane it......... it absolutley howls like a banshee........ so, needless to say I am goins everywhere at full pelt which is not good /help

So; now the majority of the primary performance mods are done to the car (besides tuning the fueling with the AFC) I got the car booked in for its 1st ever dyno session on Thursday evening... no doubt it will be really depressing coz I'll find out it producing less than stock power... but hey I have no idea what to expect ? ... /pan

anyway, wish me luck...

Dan

p.s. (Full exhaust + 0.9bar boost + flow modifications to the intake system) place your bets?

colVR4
05-12-2006, 10:26 PM
As promised, here are some recordings of my new exhaust. The quality is not great as I used my phone.

There are 3 files, the first is with the car idling, the second is revving the car while stationary with the door open, and the third is driving the car.

It nots as loud as I first thought, but still makes a nice noise when pushing it.

edit no 1: okay...how do I attach sound files?

edit no 2: mmm...like this?