PDA

View Full Version : Oneworld... wtf?

I-S
04-12-2006, 12:21 AM
So, airline alliances huh? Code sharing, all that good stuff, being able to book through itineraries that cross several airline networks. But what's going on here?

g6acb
04-12-2006, 12:32 AM
not sure what you are trying to say there Isaac, but Delta go out of Manchester via Atlanta to Oregon for 459....

I-S
04-12-2006, 12:40 AM
The point above is that the two itineraries are identical. They're the same flights, but BA want £89 more than AA for them (presumably this all goes into BA's "fuel surcharge. For an AA flight?!?!?!)

Best price I found on delta was £589. I would prefer BMI to AA/DL/US for far better service level... AA and DL are both awful. The real one to avoid out of MAN though is CO, using a 752 transatlantic! ICK!

g6acb
04-12-2006, 12:44 AM
service??? plane...sleep..arrive...change plane...sleep...etc

I-S
04-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Nice in theory, but the MAN-ORD leg is daytime flight... in fact you have to stay awake to get on US time more easily. BMI have such novelties as PTVs, flight attendants and edible food (and ice cream).

Edit: and the 332 is much nicer to fly on than the 763.

g6acb
04-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Any form of transport I am not directly in control of = :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

stayed awake on a flight back from Charlotte once and it boxed my brain in, arrived at airport in daylight, went dark just before plane took off, went light again in the sky before it went dark again, got light the next day before decending into Manchester in the dark, collected luggage and stepped out into daylight again.... its just not right

zentac
04-12-2006, 10:11 AM
yeah but youve got plenty of choice...

£307 - 2 stops with KLM
£413 - 2 stops with air france
£527 - 1 stop with American Airlines
£528 - 1 stop with Continental Airlines
£532 - 1 stop with BA

I-S
04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Zentac - I get 357 + taxes from KLM on those dates, which is £502 inc. Where do you get £307 inc?

zentac
04-12-2006, 02:10 PM
hmm cant find it again now, but Ive found continental airlines for £365 return - 1 stop

Use http://www.skyscanner.net/worldwide.asp?langid=en&from=UK&rtn=1&adults=1& put in your dates then click all 4 search buttons below.

ariddell
04-12-2006, 05:39 PM
If you want service avoid Delta at all costs.... Last time I flew with them was a few years back and will never do so again... Rude staff, ****e food, very tired looking plane...

Never again.

We were in business class and they were still god awful so i hate to think what sort of rancid slop and surly abuse was being thrown at people in cattle.

I generally stick with BA wherever possible, they may cost a bit more but at least you know you'll get there in comfort and with decent attentive service.... Having said that last time we went long haul was with Virgin and they were also v.impressive.

ariddell
04-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow, either I've developed a bizarre clicking disorder or that posted twice...

I-S
04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
DL are pretty dreadful.

BA put themselves out of contention by the fact that if it ain't LHR, they ain't interested. There is only one long-haul BA flight out of manchester! (To JFK, where their oneworld partner has basically no presence at all, so no chance for connecting flights). That, and they're not that good either.

BMI >> BA >>>> AA > DL

I've not flown VS, but their problem is that they're all about O&D, and have no US partner so there's no connecting flights again.