PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter types for a VR-4

Robotnik123
04-12-2006, 07:34 AM
I bought an oil filter from Repco a few months back. I was pretty sure I had the right filter - the salesman even showed me his computer screen - and the filter I got was for an EC5W Legnum. RZ-XXXX or something like that was the part number. Interestingly this code also matched the number stamped on the filter which was on the spare 6A13TT engine I purchased from Kenneth.

Today I took the car in for an oil change and gave the mechanic that filter to use. Anyway, they claim they put it on, but after starting the engine it fell off off and spilt oil everywhere. They say I gave them the wrong filter, so they had to buy the right filter which was $30, plus they charged me a fee to clean their shop floor!

Anyway, is there more than one type of filter used on our cars? Say one type for Jap imports and one for NZ new? I swear I saw the Repco parts screen and it definitely said EC5W Legnum and as far as I know there weren't any NZ new Legnums were there? :inquisiti

mpau009
04-12-2006, 08:24 AM
I bought an oil filter from Repco a few months back. I was pretty sure I had the right filter - the salesman even showed me his computer screen - and the filter I got was for an EC5W Legnum. RZ-XXXX or something like that was the part number. Interestingly this code also matched the number stamped on the filter which was on the spare 6A13TT engine I purchased from Kenneth.

Today I took the car in for an oil change and gave the mechanic that filter to use. Anyway, they claim they put it on, but after starting the engine it fell off off and spilt oil everywhere. They say I gave them the wrong filter, so they had to buy the right filter which was $30, plus they charged me a fee to clean their shop floor!

Anyway, is there more than one type of filter used on our cars? Say one type for Jap imports and one for NZ new? I swear I saw the Repco parts screen and it definitely said EC5W Legnum and as far as I know there weren't any NZ new Legnums were there? :inquisiti

Tell them to get f****d, if they are stupid enough to put the wrong filter on and fill it with oil then they get what they deserve, i have always used repco for filters and oil, and they have always managed to get the right one, and it should be no more than 35 - 40 bucks for oil AND filter.

Sounds like you might have got the wrong filter, which is fine, but for them not to check, and then charge you for their oversight - /Grrr I assume thats why you took it to them in the first place, so you would have the 'professionals' do it right. Kick up a fuss, get an apology, and get a refund. Can't charge you more becuase they were having a bad day...

Subaru ETA
04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
the dude is a retarded hamster! if he wasnt so inbred he would have chech it BEFORE he put it on, not after when its pissed oil everywhere. tell them to get ****ed

Robotnik123
04-12-2006, 10:37 AM
the dude is a retarded hamster! if he wasnt so inbred he would have chech it BEFORE he put it on, not after when its pissed oil everywhere. tell them to get ****ed

Yeah I will go back to them on this.

Does anyone know if NZ new VR-4's or maybe facelift VR-4's use a different sort of oil filter? I am guessing they must do.

Robotnik123
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Tell them to get f****d, if they are stupid enough to put the wrong filter on and fill it with oil then they get what they deserve, i have always used repco for filters and oil, and they have always managed to get the right one, and it should be no more than 35 - 40 bucks for oil AND filter.

Oil and filter for $40? Maybe if you're trade I guess. I didn't pay $30 when I bought the original filter over the counter from Repco, but I think it was maybe $20. Also I gave them fully synthetic Penzoil which cost quite a bit ($70 for 5L I think) - and which they spilt all over the floor. :(

mpau009
04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Oil and filter for $40? Maybe if you're trade I guess. I didn't pay $30 when I bought the original filter over the counter from Repco, but I think it was maybe $20. Also I gave them fully synthetic Penzoil which cost quite a bit ($70 for 5L I think) - and which they spilt all over the floor. :(

True, i normally just got regular type oils for my other cars, and my only service on the VR4 so far was at mitsi, but these were the ones i was thinking of,
http://www.repco.co.nz/services/cat/8.html

You should definately complain, and i am 99% sure there will be no difference between pre and post facelifts, can't imagine why at least, and iv never heard it mentioned before. Perhaps yours is an odd one out, ie retapped or something strange (or more likely i reckon the guys at repco just got the wrong one/pan)

Robotnik123
04-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Yep I gave them Penzoil Platinum to use - the $59 stuff, except it wasn't on special when I bought it.

True, i normally just got regular type oils for my other cars, and my only service on the VR4 so far was at mitsi, but these were the ones i was thinking of,
http://www.repco.co.nz/services/cat/8.html

You should definately complain, and i am 99% sure there will be no difference between pre and post facelifts, can't imagine why at least, and iv never heard it mentioned before. Perhaps yours is an odd one out, ie retapped or something strange (or more likely i reckon the guys at repco just got the wrong one/pan)

Gly
04-12-2006, 07:39 PM
well ive had no issues with filters...

mines a Z411, this is the same as what UCs Facelift VR4 uses,

so the filters between the v6 and vr4 facelift and non facelift should all be the same!

Gly
04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
ask for the wrong filter back and check for your self!

Robotnik123
04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
well ive had no issues with filters...

mines a Z411, this is the same as what UCs Facelift VR4 uses,

so the filters between the v6 and vr4 facelift and non facelift should all be the same!

You See's car is NZ new though. Could there be something in that? :inquisiti

Will have to get the filter back and its box if they still have it.

Kenneth
04-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I would also be a bit suspicious of them just screwing up by over tightening or under tightening.

The filter should be correct, unless there was a mistake at REPCO. In which case you may be able to take it back to them and see what they say. (assuming you have a receipt)

There is no difference in the filter, I got one and it worked fine.

I plan on going all Amsoil from now on (including filter). It's a bit more expensive but the Legnum is worth it :)

d i c k i e s
04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
tru, what idiots... where did u take it bro? so i know not to go there! hahaha...

amsoil
05-12-2006, 01:59 AM
not quite so simple as it might appear. Filterers are a whole new world on their own. not only must you get the correct thread but the diameter must be correct for the seals to deffo seal on the casting and the height must be below what will hit on other things and enought to handle the quantity of oil that needs to bew filtered. Then you need to have return valves or not as appropriate and have blow off valves that are correct for the engine. Not all the correct recommendations are actually correct.
Amsoil (just for example becuase I know about them) filter for the V6 will also fit the 4 cylinder and both may do on either car (even the nissan 350Z one EA012 will fit and all might be happy but..... All you need is a casting that does not have the most generous of extra meat to seal on (with the wrong filter ) and when the pressure builds up you will be awash.
If you get a Mitzi filter you are mearly relatively safe. Good luck.

d i c k i e s
05-12-2006, 02:46 AM
great info amsoil...

Gly
05-12-2006, 04:56 AM
You See's car is NZ new though. Could there be something in that? :inquisiti

Will have to get the filter back and its box if they still have it.

shouldnt be,
mines a jap import...

different brands use different numbers..

mines a extreme brand filter...
part number T1/92, interchangable with Z411

i bought a 6 pack off these off trademe for $35,
good price IMO, had no issues with them

Robotnik123
05-12-2006, 05:10 AM
I rang the mechanic and they confirmed my original Repco filter is a Z411. However, they claim this is wrong and put a RZ426 filter on the car. This is a bit of a worry... :speechles

shouldnt be,
mines a jap import...

different brands use different numbers..

mines a extreme brand filter...
part number T1/92, interchangable with Z411

i bought a 6 pack off these off trademe for $35,
good price IMO, had no issues with them

bradc
05-12-2006, 07:22 AM
so....ummmm...what is the difference between the 411 and 426 exactly? do we know at this stage?

Subaru ETA
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
ok what has probably happened is that the seal off the old filter has come off and was stuck to the mounting surface of the filter. they have wound the new one on and it didnt seal!

i know that 2 different fram filters fit, ive used both and these are for the v6 and the vr4. also the JE5 ford oil filter is exactly the same as the mitsi filter.

my car uses EXACTLY the same filter as my brothers 1500cc mirage! so id imagine that alot of the mitsi oilfilters are the same. with ford alot of cars use different oil filters just because they come from all around the world, however, hyundi use exactly the same filter across the range because all there cars come for the same place! so all galants origanlly came from japan so id say they use the same filter