PDA

View Full Version : Cooked the brakes inside 3 minutes

bradc
05-12-2006, 08:25 AM
I went home tonight via a little back road that is very hilly and has most of its corners sign posted at 25kmh with little straights between them that let you get up to 60 or 80kmh. Most of the corners are completely blind so you actually do need to slow down to 25kmh.

I had the pedal pressed to the firewall about half way through the drive, and when I got to the intersection with the main road I ended up overshooting the intersection and ended up in the middle of the road with smoke coming from all 4 brakes. whoops!

The stock brakes are really crap! I can't wait to get my car back and have big red 4 pots on it!

Kenneth
05-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I went home tonight via a little back road that is very hilly and has most of its corners sign posted at 25kmh with little straights between them that let you get up to 60 or 80kmh. Most of the corners are completely blind so you actually do need to slow down to 25kmh.

I had the pedal pressed to the firewall about half way through the drive, and when I got to the intersection with the main road I ended up overshooting the intersection and ended up in the middle of the road with smoke coming from all 4 brakes. whoops!

The stock brakes are really crap! I can't wait to get my car back and have big red 4 pots on it!

Stock brakes are fine, you abused them and paid for it.

If you want to stop well on standard brakes, you need to change the fluid and use decent high temp pads.

I had pads on mine that would stop the car with the disks glowing red hot. I never had fade with them and I was stopping from around 170KM/h rather than 60-80

So, in saying that... I guess you would be correct to say stock brake pads are crap.

KiwiTT
05-12-2006, 09:20 PM
My brakes are starting to play up now. I am experiencing a bit of vibration now, when I put them on.

I will going to RACE BRAKES and get fluids and pads replaced soon.

Kenneth
05-12-2006, 09:26 PM
My brakes are starting to play up now. I am experiencing a bit of vibration now, when I put them on.

I will going to RACE BRAKES and get fluids and pads replaced.

Vibration usually means the disks need to be machined. If the disks are too thin, it will mean you need to replace them also.

Either way you will be getting new pads at the same time and may as well do fluids too. :)

KiwiTT
05-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks Ken. I'll ensure that that get done as well.

bradc
06-12-2006, 02:41 AM
with auto's you need to be careful about coming to a rest after hard driving and having the brakes on, you will warp the discs fairly quickly if you do that Richard.

And yeah Kenneth I was abusing them as much as possible in that little run for no real need. The next 40 minutes were spent trying to keep the tyres as hot as possible around little hunua ranges roads :D

dickytim
06-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I now have the same pads as Ken did bloody good, still need to do the fluid change tho....

bradc
06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
what are those pads?

Gly
06-12-2006, 09:31 AM
ripco are selling sloted and dimpled zonnelli disks for 370ish (pair) atm for evo4 /vr4s,

some farado ds2500 pads and a brake bleed with some good fluid and you should be set