PDA

View Full Version : Pre Purchase 2.5 V6 Sport Queries

IAC77
06-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Hi,

As I'm new to this forum and Galants in general, I was wondering whether someone could answer the following queries I have about a 2001 Galant 2.5 V6 Sport Auto:

1. I love the styling (particularly the front) but would it be possible to get a VR4 spoiler and fit that to the car? Car seems rather ordinary at the back without one. If not, are there any aftermarket spoilers anyone would recommend (without being over the top)?

2. I've noticed the VR4 has dual front fog lamps and the 2.5 V6 Sport has single front fog lamps, how feasible would it be to swap them without any significant electrical work?

3. Are all 2.5 V6 Sport Automatic models Tiptronic? If so, could anyone comment how they drive in comparison with the manual equivalent?

4. Do rear parking sensors come as standard or are they optional?

Cheers

g6acb
06-12-2006, 02:12 AM
/Welcome2

Hi,

As I'm new to this forum and Galants in general, I was wondering whether someone could answer the following queries I have about a 2001 Galant 2.5 V6 Sport Auto:

1. I love the styling (particularly the front) but would it be possible to get a VR4 spoiler and fit that to the car? Car seems rather ordinary at the back without one. If not, are there any aftermarket spoilers anyone would recommend (without being over the top)?

Plenty of choice with spoilers.... my car has the Mitsubishi dealer fitted optional 'Sport Style' spoiler (notice the lack of brake light - still in the rear window)...

Other members have had VR4 'copy' spoilers (with LED brakelight) shipped in from the states via eBay - Mitsubishi also offered a lower, wider spoiler as well - thats before you add in all types of universal spoilers available

2. I've noticed the VR4 has dual front fog lamps and the 2.5 V6 Sport has single front fog lamps, how feasible would it be to swap them without any significant electrical work?

The outer lamps in the VR4 foglights are not foglights, rather turn indicators that light up with indicators..... Physically they will fit, allthough I doubt you will be able to use them as turn indicators, so wiring them as twin fogs is an option........ this is all assuming you can find a set of lights..... last ones I saw go on eBay were knocking on for $600....

3. Are all 2.5 V6 Sport Automatic models Tiptronic? If so, could anyone comment how they drive in comparison with the manual equivalent?

If its a v6 Sport, then it will be Tiptronic, I have manual myself and can't really help with a comparrison....

4. Do rear parking sensors come as standard or are they optional?

Parking sensors would have been after market fitment - IIRC wasn't even on the Mitsu options list

/Welcome

IAC77
06-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply and answering all my questions! /notworthy

Nice car you have there, how much did your optional spoiler cost (parts and fitting)?

g6acb
06-12-2006, 02:45 AM
was on the car when I bought it, although I have the original sales invoice in the history folder and it cost the original owner an eyewatering £500 /pan

These come up on eBay often,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-99-03-Mitsubishi-Galant-OE-Style-High-Wing-Spoiler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQihZ019QQ itemZ7928381806QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I believe others have used the company, the only thing that grates is the shipping is more than the product, $76 + $79 = £80 assuming no customs charges, maybe £100 to spray and fit

bradc
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
I like the VR-4 spoiler on the Sedans myself, and that would be my first option :)

If you really like the dual foglights it is probably cheaper to buy them from NZ, there are lots and lots of Galants and Legnums in NZ. I probably see 20-30 a day!

The Tip boxes are only a 4 speed and they do dull performance. If you can drive a manual I would suggest buying one. The clutch is very light and nice to use, and the gear positions and very tight and precise.

The Vee
06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Think g6acb has covered it all. I used the spoiler people he mentions on ebay and have been very pleased with the result. Don't know your location, but got fellow member rally205 to spray it for me.

IAC77
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I like the VR-4 spoiler on the Sedans myself, and that would be my first option :)

If you really like the dual foglights it is probably cheaper to buy them from NZ, there are lots and lots of Galants and Legnums in NZ. I probably see 20-30 a day!

The Tip boxes are only a 4 speed and they do dull performance. If you can drive a manual I would suggest buying one. The clutch is very light and nice to use, and the gear positions and very tight and precise.

Thanks for the info, I'll bear that in a mind about Tiptronic boxes, perhaps my best bet would be to drive both and decide for myself. The Galant I'm looking at is unfortunately an automatic, but does come fully loaded, black, leather interior, tinted windows etc.

Paul Beazer
06-12-2006, 02:51 PM
The V6 manuals are harder to find, but keep looking and you'll find a good 'un!

chris g
06-12-2006, 08:45 PM
If you go for facelift front lights fog/turn lights, may be useful to think of MoT implications

I have no idea if it wil be an issue but the turn light are aimed at the curb - direction you turn IIRC - and so if wired as fog they may not be set up to the testers choice

Something to think about......

ritch_w
06-12-2006, 08:51 PM
the autos arent much slower than the manuals, the manuals do feel a bit quicker tho - test both and get what suits you best

n13l pm
06-12-2006, 11:53 PM
I felt the same same way about he rear end of the v6, looked too ordinary! I wanted a spoiler but felt the vr4 was a bit too big for my liking. I chose this one:

uploaded/2949/1165444074.jpg

uploaded/2949/1165444099.jpg

I got this spoiler from Smart Spoilers (http://www.spoilersmart.com/showdetails.asp?id=SGA66&s=) based in the US. You will notice they sell the item on ebay for the same price and as g6acb has already said they do the vr4 spoiler aswell. I didnt get charged at customs but I know some members from here have been (just depends on luck) so mines came to a total of £80.

As for the vr4 fogs, I always wanted them but are a mission to get hold of! you can also get the twin fogs which come on some sports v6 models, which are different to the vr4. The vr4 twin fogs are actually one fog and one light which comes on as you indicate, but this can be rewired to have two fogs. If you search for it im sure you'll find more.

Kieran
07-12-2006, 12:04 AM
If you go for facelift front lights fog/turn lights, may be useful to think of MoT implications

I have no idea if it wil be an issue but the turn light are aimed at the curb - direction you turn IIRC - and so if wired as fog they may not be set up to the testers choice

Something to think about......

True - though I think Nick VR-4 has this arrangement and hasn't had any issues (I think). Mind you, if you get a right jobsworth, then who knows!

g6acb
07-12-2006, 01:01 AM

That sounds like an offer to sort out a 'group buy' to me :iloveyou: , while you are at it can you sort out wheel arch extensions, rear wiper, silver diamonds and VR-4 badges, turbo conversi...... ah feck it, add all that lot up and I might as well just get a VR-4 :5shots:

bradc
07-12-2006, 02:02 AM
lol, today I saw a ton on the road all at once.

In the fast lane:
white gdi prefacelift wagon, directly followed by a silver v6 prefacelift wagon, with 2 silver galants about 3 cars back from the legnums.

In the middle lane:
white gdi facelift followed by me in the white vr-4

In the slow lane:
another 2 or 3 Legnums and a galant, didn't really pay much attention because they were at a stand still and I was doing 80kmh.

I was the only VR-4 though :)