PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Handsfree Phone Kits

ReggieK
18-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Anyone got one of these fitted? If so....

** Where abouts?
** Have you had to screw into dash?
** What's it look like?

I need to get one. Just cannot decide on model or where to put the damn thing. On the Mondeo I had it on the left side of centre console. But I have found that to put phone in same place on VR4 means reaching much further over.

Roadrunner
18-11-2003, 08:54 PM
I have a Nokia one fitted - no screws, it is fixed behind the left side of centre console. Easy to reach the phone from the driver's seat without stretching. Shakes a bit because the fitter fitted an extender to bring the phone nearer the driver but works fine.

Nick VR4
18-11-2003, 09:12 PM
I got my old company to pay for this , said I wouldn't answer call if they didnt ;)
No screws used either clips into center console
Also mutes radio when in use

Have a look for a local hifi car shop as some do fitting

Found this webiste too

http://www.carphonekits.com/home.asp

ReggieK
18-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanks chaps,

Just what I was after.

Spirit
18-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Or if your phone is capable get a bluetooth headset - they now retail for as little as £45 from Carphone Warehouse and no kits/cables involved. You look like Madonna but damn useful :D

Nick Mann
18-11-2003, 11:29 PM
Conical Boobs?

:biglaugh:

Spirit
18-11-2003, 11:30 PM
:lolz:

Roadrunner
19-11-2003, 01:22 AM
from spirit979:
get a bluetooth headset
er, except using these may become illegal on December 1st :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( . Don't get caught using anything other than a fully-plumbed-in hands-free kit after then or you're looking at a £30 fine INSERT INTO post VALUES (soon to be £60 and 3 points :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( ). See the official line here (http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_025216.hcsp). I'm not convinced that a bluetooth headset won't be considered to be the mobile phone, and therefore illegal under this law. Besides, wearing a headset will just give Plod an excuse to pull you in ...

Brian

adam_shaw
19-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Hi,

In the last Galant I put in a Nokia kit myself, putting the cradle in the tray under the armrest, one hole through a plastic tray that can be replaced for about 35 quid, the speaker I put uder the centre console INSERT INTO post VALUES (just where the cup holder is - great unless there were coins inside!) and the interface box went under the little bin thing under the armrest.

Run a few wires INSERT INTO post VALUES (power, radio mute, microphone) back along the tunnel, routing the microphone cable up the driverside door pillar to sit just where the plastic moulding meets the head lining.

Total holes: 1
Extra Strong Velco: 3 stips INSERT INTO post VALUES (2 for speaker, 1 for interface box)

Phone is hidden away, I don't make calls anyway - just receive the odd call in the car, so have it on auto answer

Feel like I may do this again INSERT INTO post VALUES (just when I'm ready to start messing with the new toy) so if I do I will take some piccies along the way.

Robert is your fathers brother.

Spirit
19-11-2003, 08:35 AM
The bluetooth headsets will NOT become illegal. Just an easy way to make/handle calls if you have a voice activated phone. :D

Roadrunner
19-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Just make sure you never touch the phone with the engine running or it'll be deemed "hand-held" and you'll be in deep doos ;)

Ain't it wonderful how cr@p legislation becomes law ...

zedy1
19-11-2003, 10:19 AM
its just asnother idea to get money out of us guys :Cry1:
now its getting quite understandble why the front windows cant be tinted

Brind
19-11-2003, 07:05 PM
The new law:

On the phone fine
In two weeks a new law comes into force banning drivers from using mobile phones while at the wheel.

Traffic police are going to have their work cut out from December 1st, when new laws come into effect clamping down on drivers who continue to phone and drive.

According to research by a mobile headset manufacturer Jabra, a quarter of drivers who know about the law will ignore it,. They also found 40 per cent of motorists were unaware of the new law, designed to promote road safety.

There is also confusion as to what is illegal.

Initially, the government had sought a blanket ban on all drivers using mobiles, however, the final legislation is more relaxed. But that has led to claims it is too confusing.

Allow us to make the new legislation a little clearer.

Can I use my ordinary mobile handset?

If you need to hold your mobile handset then you will be in breach of the new law and liable for a £30 on the spot fine if spotted.

What if I use a hands-free kit?

It all depends on whether you have to hold the phone, for example, to dial a number or even just to press the "receive call" button when someone calls you.

So do I need a factory fitted mobile?

No, a cradle that holds your mobile and is fixed to the dashboard will satisfy the law. You will need a hands-free kit to continue the conversation, such as an earpiece and microphone or a Bluetooth headset. Interactive PDAs and navigation aids will also need cradles. Using a hands-free device with voice dialing and auto-answering would also be fine.

What if I cradle the phone on my shoulder?

Propping a mobile between your shoulder and chin will not be allowed as you are still holding the phone, albeit not with your hands.

What about texting?

Texting is not allowed, although it seems tapping out a text would be allowed if the phone remained fixed in a cradle. But this is likely to fall foul of the existing rules that you must drive with due care and attention.

So do I have to switch my phone off?

No. Phones can be turned on, but unless you have hands-free kit, if you are driving when it rings you must ignore it or pull over before answering it.

What if I'm waiting at traffic lights?

You are still legally driving. The same goes for if you are stuck in a traffic jam. In really bad jams, however, you would not thought to be driving if your engine was turned off.

What about an emergency call?

There is an exemption for calls to the emergency services where it is unsafe or impractical to stop.

I've got to use a phone for my job

No excuse. If your boss has insists you take calls while driving he or she could also be breaking the law.

What about CB radio?

Two-way radio is not covered by the law, so it's not an offence to have a conversation while driving, using a hand-held CB radio microphone. You cannot use a two-way radios that double up as mobiles though.

adam_shaw
08-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi all,

So the Car Kit is ordered and should be in my sweaty little hands in the morning, I've gone for the bluetooth one this time, so whenever the phone is in the car I just have to press a button on the dash to make/receive a call.

I'm planning on doing the install in the next couple of days, is it any use if I write up what I do as I go along, if someone wants to do the same later?

Adam

SGHOM
18-12-2003, 03:55 PM
call me tight, mean, scrooge, call it ugly if you want ! but at 2 for a tenner !! this is my hands free kit :-D :-D

Nick VR4
18-12-2003, 04:00 PM
Mmm well its not the most prettiest thing I have seen ;)
But if it does the job thats :cool1:
I hope thats not ciggy ash on the wood at the bottom right :noshake:

SGHOM
18-12-2003, 04:03 PM
I hope thats not ciggy ash on the wood at the bottom right :noshake:

err.. :$ :$ might be ?? :$

adam_shaw
18-12-2003, 05:37 PM
I'm sure Kieran will be most distressed by that 'use' of the MMCS...

Spirit
19-12-2003, 12:48 AM
:lolz:
I'm sure Kieran will be most distressed by that 'use' of the MMCS...

Kieran
19-12-2003, 12:52 AM
:noshake: I hadn't spotted that before!!! :sick:

:io: :wtf: :gun2: :soapbox:

BURN HIM!!! BURN HIM!!!!

zedy1
19-12-2003, 02:58 AM
there not too bad are they

HMG1K
16-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Sorry for resurecting this thread again - I'm looking to install a hard wired Nokia Bluetooth kit:

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=122467#moreinfo

OR

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=117357

Are they as 'simple' to install as it seems in the manual's diagrams? The manuals say to have them professionaly fitted, but at £100 a pop could I do it?

I've wired up my car stereo, single DIN graphic EQ, amp with power cable back to the battery and sub. My Kenwood stereo also has a brown 'phone mute' wire.

Thanks in advance for any stories of experience!

Nick VR4
16-08-2008, 10:46 AM
If you have wired up Stereos etc I would think this would be the same

On some Stereos you can also put the sound through the speakers

Mine cuts off the radio etc when its in use

Kryton
30-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Thread resurrection again. Fed up with my stereo bluetooth not picking up my numbers so looking to get a mount.

Requirements:
Needs to hold iphone 4 without case
Needs to be able to revolve / spin
Be permanent so not on the vents or windscreen
No screwing / drilling / damage

Anyone got anything that ticks all the boxes & can advise on where to get one? Only I can find a pro-fit swivel mount but just wondered if there are any other options

On another note, whilst looking I did find this /haz

http://www.chipchick.com/2011/12/live-evergreen-dock-iphone.html

Think that would look quite sexual on the dash :)