PDA

View Full Version : What should go first?

ReggieK
18-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Out of curiosity as the VR4 is 4WD...

If you tank it around a roundabout what would you expect to breakway first the back or the front? Ie Under or Oversteer?

zedy1
18-11-2003, 08:26 PM
me thinks the back

Roadrunner
18-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Depends. Mostly, 4WD cars will understeer INSERT INTO post VALUES (look at Subarus! ;) ). On the VR-4 with AYC, it's actually very difficult to get it to under- or over-steer, it has a tendency to four-wheel drifting. What will upset it, though, is changing the dynamics while the car is subject to lateral force - if you tank it into a roundabout and keep the power in, it'll tend to drift INSERT INTO post VALUES (and eventually drift right off the roundabout and into the field if you're completely daft :arse: ); if you tank it into the roundabout and lift off suddenly, it might swap ends quicker than you can blink :p . Other influences have an effect - suspension, tyres quality and pressure, road surface, etc. but, at the end of the day, you can't overcome the laws of physics and you can only go so fast before it'll lose grip somewhere. Good fun finding the limit, but best done on track - less embarrassing ;) :)

Brian

Nick Mann
18-11-2003, 10:51 PM
The only thing I have had which suprised me so far is lifting off half way round a corner which I was powering round. I decided I was going too quickly, and there was not much room for error, so I tried to lift off. This actually gave me understeer! I have never experienced understeer when lifting off mid corner before. Changed the colour of my pants, planted my foot back on the go pedal and the car just went back into balanced minor drift.

I would guess after the event INSERT INTO post VALUES (now I've had time to think) that the AYC can't help in the same way if there is no power driving the wheels. Seems logical. It felt like the back of the car was helping to turn th front under power, and stopped when the power did. After the event I am a bit nervous about taking it near the limit without plenty of space to catch it if it goes wrong!

I guess I am basically agreeing with H.7!

Brind
18-11-2003, 11:02 PM
I've hamoured around a tightish roundabout at about 60mph, tyres were squeeling a tad but it didn't feel like it was doing anything really nasty but it was obviously trying to drift if the tyres were talking.
Haven't really tried it since and would prefer yo use a track to see where the limits are.
The AYC will do its job even if you back off as its electrically pumped and therefore not really influenced by the state of engine revs... I think?

Nick Mann
18-11-2003, 11:09 PM
I don't understand what I felt - just trying to explain it.

I have driven front and rear wheel drive cars in the past, and lifting off round a corner when near the limit has ALWAYS produced oversteer. Understeer scared me because I wasn't expecting it. I have always caught understeer by lifting off, but I had already done that!

Anyways. Limit finding = track time. Perrlenty of space to work it all out!

enigma
18-11-2003, 11:11 PM
I have managed on several occasions to get huge oversteer followed by gentle 4 wheel drift and sphincter flutter. :nervous:

Nick Mann
18-11-2003, 11:27 PM
I've only managed oversteer twice, and both times pulling out of a junction hard - i.e. hardly moving and plenty of petrol in 1st gear! Not done it yet at any kind of speed! How fast were you going Dave, if you got sphincter flutter? :scared1:

Mind you, with all that power......

Kieran
18-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Never managed to overcook the GLS too badly, but it's understeer-tastic all the way when you do INSERT INTO post VALUES (as you'd expect!!). The rear suspension does get an 'A' for effort though - you do feel the weight loading up over the back at times, but it's kept in check nicely! Never bitten me back, but I don't drive in a manner that would encourage it to really.

A track day would be interesting though:D:devil5: