PDA

View Full Version : Results of bodywork repair ...

White Lightning
09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Got the car back from the bodyshop yesterday having put it in to have the corrosion on the turret section sorted. For those of you that had seen it in the flesh you can tell from the photo how good a job they did. :happy:

Spoke to the guy that did the work and bodywork here actually has three skins. The skin in the wheel arch, the one of top (that had the visible corrosion) and an inner skin that actually is part of the suspension top where the strut brace goes on. The problem on the Galant is that there is a gap in the wheelarch where water can get in and it corrodes the inner skin. This is because the inner skin is only spot welded and water gets between the spot welds. Mine was gone there. And then the corrosion spreads to the outer skin inside the engine bay.

On mine, both of the top two skins have had plates welded in place and the whole thing repainted. I've also had the bit in the wheelarch sprayed with WaxOyl to stop it happening again.

Mine is also just starting to show signs of corrosion on the other wing. Nowhere near as bad but I am going to get it sorted in the New Year. Unfortunately, it means that the air con has to be discharged to move the pipes out of the way.

I think the reason mine was particularly bad was that it spent the last 4 years of it's life living near the UK coast and obviously the salty road spray did the damage I think. Also, it is an import so maybe the UK cars have better corrosion protection.

So those that saw it before, what do you think ?

Kieran
09-12-2006, 02:18 PM
That's a big improvement! Where did you get it done? Was it expensive?

White Lightning
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
That's a big improvement! Where did you get it done? Was it expensive?

A place called DNA Car Body Repairs in Bracknell. Quite a small outfit but they were recommended to me by a neighbour. I am very pleased with the job that they have done and will use them again. The cost was £210 for cash, which I thought was reasonable as it was a tricky job.

psbarham
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
bl00dy hell , they've done a cracking job on that mate

Dan_G
09-12-2006, 06:31 PM
looks like they did an allwhite job... /pan

The Vee
10-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Looks good mate.

Spirit
10-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Yep, looks like they have done a good job there Wayne :2thumbsup