PDA

View Full Version : Standard discs - which pads?

Andy Teg
12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm probably going to have to replace the brake pads all round in the not too distant future so I'd be grateful if someone could recommend what pads to use with standard discs. I've done quite a few searches and found a lot of information about what pads to use with discs when upgrading both, but at the moment upgrading the discs isn't really viable with the festive seasons approaching and my available funds rapidly being eaten up by a combination of presents/food/drinks/parties etc!

Any thoughts appriciated!

Cheers,

Andy.

psbarham
12-12-2006, 09:08 PM
one word . carbotechs , you will not be disapointed :afro:

H6NRH
12-12-2006, 09:32 PM
or DS2500's which I have been very impressed with. Depends on price I guess.

Axeboy
12-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Funky now stock endless and project mu pads, might be worth a try...

psbarham
12-12-2006, 10:12 PM
best bet is have a look on www.lancerregister.com and see what they recomend for the evo's , they have the same discs and calipers as ours

I-S
12-12-2006, 11:04 PM
I've tried stock, black diamond predator and EBC Greenstuff. The EBCs are the best of the three, but they do produce a lot of dust. I had problems with one set of predators falling to bits, and other people have had issues with them. EBCs are better all round than predators (when cold, when hot) other than the dust issue.

psbarham
14-12-2006, 06:57 PM
while we are on the subject of brakes , does anybody have any g-tech figures for 60-0 ??

Andy Teg
14-12-2006, 07:04 PM
A few options to be thinking about then. Anyone got details of suppliers for these pad?

SGHOM
15-12-2006, 12:38 AM
to be controversial... & probably stir up a bag of worms, /help I bought cheap pads for my car. [ £25 ]
I took my car to mallory in order to destroy it. /pan It was running like a pig, & I thought a few laps of a track would probably see the engine off. .... but.... I managed around 150 laps of ' no holes barred' racing, & my cheap APEX pads held up. :afro:
I had no brake fade whatsoever, i was able to outbrake other 'superior' cars, & the pads lasted for the duration of the day...... in fact, they are still on the car now. :happy:

after 150 laps I was still able to lock up the front wheels, & 'outwit' the ABS.

so my advice to you is....... dont spend a fortune on so called 'race pads' .... just press the pedal harder. :pimp2: :pimp2:

Wodjno
15-12-2006, 10:38 AM
while we are on the subject of brakes , does anybody have any g-tech figures for 60-0 ??

On 10 back to back 0-60-0mph runs :speechles The best i achieved was 102ft :afro:

Wodjno
15-12-2006, 10:40 AM
to be controversial... & probably stir up a bag of worms, /help I bought cheap pads for my car. [ £25 ]
I took my car to mallory in order to destroy it. /pan It was running like a pig, & I thought a few laps of a track would probably see the engine off. .... but.... I managed around 150 laps of ' no holes barred' racing, & my cheap APEX pads held up. :afro:
I had no brake fade whatsoever, i was able to outbrake other 'superior' cars, & the pads lasted for the duration of the day...... in fact, they are still on the car now. :happy:

after 150 laps I was still able to lock up the front wheels, & 'outwit' the ABS.

so my advice to you is....... dont spend a fortune on so called 'race pads' .... just press the pedal harder. :pimp2: :pimp2:

I can get fade from Apex Pads within 2 mins from cold :inquisiti

WildCards
15-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I can get fade from Apex Pads within 2 mins from cold :inquisiti

Have you got blembo's Glenn? If you haven't that might explain the difference, if you have, then Derek must be driving Miss Daisy.

Wodjno
15-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Have you got blembo's Glenn? If you haven't that might explain the difference, if you have, then Derek must be driving Miss Daisy.

No i haven't ! And Nor has Andy Teg has he ?

I don't need Brembo's ! My brakes have no issues with fade ...

WildCards
15-12-2006, 04:20 PM
No i haven't ! And Nor has Andy Teg has he ?

I don't need Brembo's ! My brakes have no issues with fade ...

Yes, but it would exaplin why D didn't suffer any fade.

Andy, as standard i'd either get the carbotech's as PSB mentioned or the DS2500's if it were my money.

Wodjno
15-12-2006, 04:28 PM

Andy, as standard i'd either get the carbotech's as PSB mentioned or the DS2500's if it were my money.

I haven't any issues with standard size discs and pads, but i'm not using standard discs ! So i can't say how well Red Stuff Ceramics, Yellow Stuffs or Blue Stuffs will work on Standard discs ! All i can say is they work well on EBC TG Discs.
At the moment i'm running Blue Stuffs ! (What's Fade ?)

Thread Hijack ! Anyone want some Red Stuff Ceramic Blembo Rears... If so, drop me a PM :D

psbarham
15-12-2006, 05:00 PM
On 10 back to back 0-60-0mph runs :speechles The best i achieved was 102ft :afro:
i'll dig out the g-tech if i get a chance and have a play this weekend then

Wodjno
15-12-2006, 05:05 PM
i'll dig out the g-tech if i get a chance and have a play this weekend then

102ft was on the 10th run... Brakes were nearly on fire :happy:

And on that run i had no ABS kick in either :pimp2:

PS.. From what i remember ! The worst 1 was 123ft .. :D

Andy Teg
17-12-2006, 02:21 PM

Cheers. The Carbotechs seem to be getting a lot of good feedback from what I've briefly read on MLR. Anyone roughly know the price of them? I take it that the best (possibly only!) person to get them from is the fella who sells them on MLR.

psbarham
17-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Cheers. The Carbotechs seem to be getting a lot of good feedback from what I've briefly read on MLR. Anyone roughly know the price of them? I take it that the best (possibly only!) person to get them from is the fella who sells them on MLR.
trust me you won't be disapointed with them, i paid £104 i think :thinking: , try pm'ing "thetyrant" on here , he is a member on here as well

thetyrant
17-12-2006, 02:44 PM
As Paul says the Carbotech XP8 pad rules for road and track use :) drop me a pm or email for more info on pricing and availabilty :) tqs@btinternet.com

Cheers
Ian

Cezco
20-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I've tried Mintex pads which faded dramtically. I use EBC Redstuff on standard disks and have had no fade however hard I've tried... Practically no dust either...