PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord VTEC

MGV6
12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Recently, I managed to get rid of few my my old Galants so i am now left with just the one and I will probably keep that one for a while until a I am ready for the VR4 one day :)

I do however in the meantime need a 2nd car now, and it has to be similiar to Galant in terms of value for money. The only one I can think of is the Honda Acord (2001-2002 range). Now we all know about their VTEC engines, lovely sound at 4500+revs (but not better then Mitsui's INVECS II:) )

Now, for those that have owned one of these, what do you make of these cars in general?

Nick VR4
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Couple of Mates had these a few years ago

I was impressed with the quality and the gadgets you got seems to drive ok I was the passenger

MGV6
12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Couple of Mates had these a few years ago

I was impressed with the quality and the gadgets you got seems to drive ok I was the passenger

Nick, how would you think it compares with the likes of say the Galant for example? Of course, in terms of style, there is no match, even the bimmer can't match the Galant looks in terms of aggressiveness, but built quality and handling ability for example?

timiano
12-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Build quality is top notch. I nearly bought a 2.4 Exec 12 months ago, but I thought the sat nav was slow and crap, and the seats were too hard for long motorway mileage.

It was fantastically fast, VTECH opens up well, but all that power in the front its no good for blipping about. 4WD is deffo the way to go. But on the motorway it behaved very well and was fast as long as in the right rev range.

Didn't think the handling was anything special, more so exaggerated with the front wheel drive.

Nick VR4
12-12-2006, 09:24 PM
As above quality was very good one mate had to chop his in for a Audi A4 company car and was not impressed with the A4

H6NRH
12-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Invecs II on the Galant refers to the gearbox, not engine technology such as VTEC. The different cam profile generally comes into play around 5500rpm on most Honda DOHC VTEC models.

I really rate Hondas, the old shape Accord as you are talking about is old enough now to be a very good used buy, you'll find your options are a 1.8i VTEC or a 2.0 slightly more powerful VTEC engine in that shape, either are good, but the 1.8i is the livelier engine.

MGV6
12-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Invecs II on the Galant refers to the gearbox, not engine technology such as VTEC. The different cam profile generally comes into play around 5500rpm on most Honda DOHC VTEC models.

I really rate Hondas, the old shape Accord as you are talking about is old enough now to be a very good used buy, you'll find your options are a 1.8i VTEC or a 2.0 slightly more powerful VTEC engine in that shape, either are good, but the 1.8i is the livelier engine.

The 2001-2003 range was facelifted. Its still no headturner but slightly improved over the 1998-2001 range. The 2003 range onwards looks much much better.

H6NRH
12-12-2006, 10:37 PM
The 2001-2003 range was facelifted. Its still no headturner but slightly improved over the 1998-2001 range. The 2003 range onwards looks much much better.

It was literally just a facelift though, same car underneath. The new Accord 03> was a big leap forward and they facelifted that last year.

flat spot
18-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I can recommennd the new shape if you can stretch to it money wise. I've just got the 2.4 Tourer Type-S. If this deal had fallen through I'd have bought Ritch-W's VR4 but I think I'm happier with this.
It's super quiet and smooth and the handling is really good as the car is quite big. It's got some nice gadgets to mess with.

The colour is graphite grey pearlesant, but just looks flat grey in the pics. Not sure why.:thinking:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/flattyman/accordfront1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/flattyman/accordside1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/flattyman/accordrear1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/flattyman/accordinside.jpg

WildCards
18-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Nice car Flat Spot

MGV6
18-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Yes, the Type-S definately looks hot and comes with a superb bodykit. Interior is good too and build quality is right up there as well.

I am looking at 2 others atm, the first one didnt go too well.

flat spot
18-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I am pleased with it. They're quite rare too, but a hell of a lot easier to find than a galant estate.

ritch_w
18-12-2006, 11:34 PM
GTZ why do you need a 2nd car? is this one for your wife/partner?

MGV6
19-12-2006, 03:48 PM
GTZ why do you need a 2nd car? is this one for your wife/partner?

No, its for my brother but we all use the cars at home.

bradc
19-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Cool that Accord has the type S badge. Want to sell it to me? :P

stuey
19-12-2006, 07:18 PM
I had a 2002 Accord 2.0 SE Exec for 3 years, bought thru friend at Honda. Swapped it for the VR4. Nice car in general, well put together, quiet, economical, well equipped (was top spec one tho) etc. Didn't like the lack of torque, but used to V8's and bigger engines so found it sluggish, only had power when revving the n*uts off which is not satisfying all the time, would reccomend it as daily hack tho, newer (post 2003) i-vtec is bit torquey-er I've been told.

flat spot
21-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Cool that Accord has the type S badge. Want to sell it to me?

No, but I'm sure Honda will sell you one for a substantial sum. /yes

Exbury
21-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda also do a reasonable deal on their cambelt fitting which includes a basic service.

I was going to get one before I settled back with the Galant as the 2.2 Honda I was looking at got the same fuel economy (important when i was doing nearly 200miles a day) as the Galant but didn't look as good, and hey, you only live once!