PDA

View Full Version : Wi-fi worry

Nick VR4
13-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Some schools are removing wi-fi networks after complaints from parents that their children suffer headaches. In what sounds like a re-run of mobile phone radiation panic, is there evidence for harm?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6172257.stm

I-S
13-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I suggest that all the worried parents put tin foil hats on to protect them from it.

While the rest of us get on with real life.

tig202
13-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Just make sure those tin hats are painted with special lead paint eh?:afro:

timiano
13-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Absolute horse Sh!t!

Might have something to do with all the crap that they let their kids eat, and then serve up menu master and chips at home, fizzy pop and sugary crap in the evening.

Another confirmation that the world has gone mad!

Utter idiots

Tim

Paul Beazer
13-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Hmm sounds like a classic example of "my sisters brothers niece once had a headache at school the day the wi-fi was switched on, i took her out of school and she's still off until the headmaster can prove to me its safe"!

A study was recently published which basically said the was little or no risk for mobile phone useage, this surveyed a huge selection of people, some of which had been using mobiles for 20+ years!:scholar:

I-S
13-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Let's see... a mobile transmits at up to 2W for GSM900 or up to 1W for GSM1800 and is held against the side of the head. A wireless access point with dual aerials and high-power transmitter transmits at max 320mW, typically less than 100mW, and is at least a few feet away, if not tens of feet. The power received at a single point is proportional to the inverse square of the distance, so just getting a few inches away massively reduces the power that hits you, let alone getting a few feet away.

These people have obviously had their brains fried by the excessive radiation from their televisions.

Nutter_John
13-12-2006, 11:42 PM
These people have obviously had their brains fried by the excessive radiation from their televisions.

What TV's produce radiation , does that mean a terrorist can create a radioactive bomb from lots of tv's :D

ANTHONY
13-12-2006, 11:45 PM
i speng all my life around wi-fi and it never wheres that horse going has any impact on pass me a carrot me

Kieran
13-12-2006, 11:57 PM
i speng all my life around wi-fi and it never wheres that horse going has any impact on pass me a carrot me

Sounds like an Avalanches Record!

'That boy needs therapy'....

I-S
14-12-2006, 12:09 AM
And he also made false teeth.

Earl
14-12-2006, 01:33 AM
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES - THE SKY IS FALLING /help

Lucas
14-12-2006, 06:00 AM
Let's see... a mobile transmits at up to 2W for GSM900 or up to 1W for GSM1800 and is held against the side of the head. A wireless access point with dual aerials and high-power transmitter transmits at max 320mW, typically less than 100mW, and is at least a few feet away, if not tens of feet. The power received at a single point is proportional to the inverse square of the distance, so just getting a few inches away massively reduces the power that hits you, let alone getting a few feet away.

Yeah they're morons! I work with radars most days and take this for example. The safe distance from a rotating 4kW radar is 1metre (if it was stationary the safe distance would have to be increased but still you're getting zapped 30 times per minute) So I think that in order to be harmed by 320mW you'd have to be within the radius of an ants foreskin to cook yourself! /pan

Personally I prefer not to stand in front of transmitting radars regardless off safe distance however :scholar:

I-S
14-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Lucas - sounds like a good way to warm up in the morning.

Lucas
16-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Lucas - sounds like a good way to warm up in the morning.

Haha! yep, I used to be in the Navy. Back in the day they used to do just that to warm up when it was cold. Had a 30kW radar when I was serving and that's alot of juice! I'd rather stay cold :scholar: