PDA

View Full Version : That would be a single turbo 6a13 (SOHC) custom manifolds...

valmes
14-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Check it out:

http://www.3si.org/forum/showpost.php?p=3945518&postcount=1

Well, he might be able to go one step further and make TD05 or Garrett manifolds for VR-4 6a13 DOHC engine... what do you think?

MPBVr4
14-12-2006, 01:18 PM
A work of art in my opinion........ but then I'm a sad old engineer/pan

Eurospec
14-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Isnt that the guy in Romania?

There are already TDO5 adaptor plates and manifolds for the 6G72, adaptor plates, whilst of course not great, fit the std TD04 footprint which is the same as TDO3 IIRC.

There are a few guys making big singles now, including one which is up and running with a GT42RS, which is bigger than my house!

I can tell you from experiance 2 x TD05's on the 6G72 is serious stuff, on the 6A13 it would be absolutely mental!

Cheers,

Ben.

Paul Beazer
14-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Mmmm dribble.............

bradc
14-12-2006, 07:49 PM
looks good, I imagine that would fit onto a 6a13tt as well. You could get the same basic design made up but with a flange for larger turbos.

psbarham
14-12-2006, 07:50 PM
where do i order ????:afro: :pimp2:

Kieran
14-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, he might be able to go one step further and make TD05 or Garrett manifolds for VR-4 6a13 DOHC engine... what do you think?

I certainly think so Val, those look very nicely made items!

Nick Mann
14-12-2006, 10:36 PM
looks good, I imagine that would fit onto a 6a13tt as well. You could get the same basic design made up but with a flange for larger turbos.
Errr..... unless I'm being thick, that picture is of a single turbo set up for a 6A13? The guy is talking about a GTO engine, but using other pictures to compare?

valmes - are you meaning a single turbo conversion, or getting him to make manifolds for a twin upgrade?

enigma
14-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Looks pretty, but overly complicated in my opinion :scholar:

Paul Beazer
14-12-2006, 11:19 PM
I thought it was for a single turbo on a 6G72 as well.

bradc
14-12-2006, 11:36 PM
it says 6a13 sohc at the top of the thread, so I assumed it would be the sort of kit psb and Paul would be most interested in :)

valmes
15-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Errr..... unless I'm being thick, that picture is of a single turbo set up for a 6A13? The guy is talking about a GTO engine, but using other pictures to compare?

valmes - are you meaning a single turbo conversion, or getting him to make manifolds for a twin upgrade?

Yes, he posted those pictures on 3si, to show the quality of work and of course in hopes that this "builder" can do something for 6g72, but those pictures are of custom single turbo manifolds for 6A13 (2,5L SOHC 163bhp - 8G FWD Galant for Europe), not 6g72... Well in any case, right now, we don't have ANY options, except as was mentioned before - adapter plates, single turbo conversion "Dave style" or slapping Subaru turbos on. This "builder" guy might be the man to ask for some td05 manifolds for 6a13 DOHC engines...

I would certantly want an option to just slap on some aftermarket manifolds and get some bigger turbos in there in the future... like like E316G...

Btw have you seen the latest numbers for 6g72? You can make an informed assumption on what HP our engine block and crank are capable of holding...

Let me find it...

valmes
15-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Original thread has been deleted for some reason, but I managed to make a copy while it was available... here it is:

i just posted a nice huge responce filled with detail but the server ate it and now my patience is gone...

summed up version

Nelsons engine had the center mains pounded out as i suspected. this is caused from the crank bending due to being run to the highest possible hp and getting slight knock.

what there is to be learned from my thousand hours over years figuring all this out...

3.0 6G72.. 875-900awhp (man trans) the crank is running on edge from the power. andy slight knock from change in weather or whatever and the mains will need replacement. you cant log knock at that power level. once you see some knock the bearings will already show copper and may even be flat.

3.5 6G74.. 1075-1150awhp (estimated though manual 935 auto) due to the larger diameter crank the threshold here is moved up. once you reach these numbers the same applies. if you log some knock its already too late.

ive seen that on 3.0s that have less then 750awhp you CAN log knock and still be ok.. besides blowing some coolant. but any higher than that and you will be cracking timing tensioners loose and pounding out mains (which can be changed in the car if caught unlike rods)

will all the big power setups you guys have in the works REMEMBER WHAT IM SAYING HERE. ive proven this over and over on the dyno pushing the limits with my car. i found a happy spot with my car where it works. when im running the 875hp i have to make sure it gets NO knock or its bearinf time.

what does this all mean? it means that the these things are super strong for a 60 deg V6. the only way to find the limits and push the farther is to break things. Nelsons new billet crank will allow us to go even farther.

Ray P

http://www.3si.org/forum/showpost.ph...1&postcount=53

2.5 6A13.. 650-675awhp??? (750-800bhp) :scholar:

800 HP Legnum, I like how it sounds!!! :inquisiti :thinking: :5shots:

valmes
15-12-2006, 08:22 AM
http://www.dogtuning.ro/

Eurospec
18-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Heres mine, run at 1.65bar of boost:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/benh/scan0001-1.jpg

All forged internals, and a bucklet load more. Twin TD05's.

My max boost setting is over 2 bar, but so far i have only run it as far as 2. I am still logging at these power levels and i tune for zero knock.

Cheers,

Ben.

Eurospec
18-12-2006, 10:23 AM
To be fair, you are picking out the leading edge of 6G72 development when looking at Nelsons results with Ray. Nothing else has ever dyno'd that high. The 935 hp is the 3s world record, albeit on a 6G74 engine.

Ray undoubtably is correct, the limit is the crank. It actually flexes and chews out the centre mains! I think that is with a billet crank as well wich is a very big ticket item.

Nelsons cars though have everything done to them.

The other people to look at are Matt monett, with his 9.66/151mph 3s- he is breaking the belt tensioners loose, and the 3sx cars, T2 and T4. T4 just ran 118mph at the 1/8th mile over the weekend.

For me, Matt and Ray are the ones to watch and have the most experiance.

The blocks are strong, if you can uprate the internals to cope, but eventually the crank will be what lets go.

TD05's are a world away from the std TD04's. I have run with TD04 15 G's prior to my current set up and they were great. Retained reasonable driveability with piggy back controllers. Now i am on TD05's the difference is astounding- i really cant tell you just how big the difference is, they are simply astounding. When the boost hits you are catapulted forward with a force that is simply unbelievable.

If you could get twin td05's onto the 6A13 it would be an absolute animal- i mean really really fast. I would suspect you will start getting drive train failures in short order. (for example i can snap an output shaft in short order on my car, and it is comparable in thickness to the input shaft on the clutch of a galant.)

Cheers,

Ben.