PDA

View Full Version : New Lancer - Some Photos

d i c k i e s
18-12-2006, 06:12 AM
looks similar to the new holden ss

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2006/08/holden_commodore_ve_drive.jpg

http://www.americancarfans.com/news/2060721.010/2060721.010.1M.jpg

The Vee
18-12-2006, 09:01 AM
I had such high hopes for this car, just that now, it doesn't seem to look as good as the prototype pics we saw. Obviously it's toned down a bit for mass market, but to me, the front doesn't work now - looks like it's drooped somewhat and sticks out from the headlights too far giving it a "snout". Ah well, wait to see it in the flesh

Kieran
18-12-2006, 09:10 AM
I had such high hopes for this car, just that now, it doesn't seem to look as good as the prototype pics we saw. Obviously it's toned down a bit for mass market, but to me, the front doesn't work now - looks like it's drooped somewhat and sticks out from the headlights too far giving it a "snout". Ah well, wait to see it in the flesh

I agree. The back's somehow gone wrong too - it looks a bit bland now I think? I notice that it's built on the same platform as the caliber/sebring.... Thinking about the size of those cars, for the european market, I wonder if that means we've seen the last of the Galant?

That's a shame really. The EVO version had better be good!:inquisiti

I-S
18-12-2006, 11:34 AM
I like it in the blue. The 8g tones are definitely there, with the sloping bonnet line, the grille shape (very similiar to the option grille I have), etc.

I notice that it's built on the same platform as the caliber/sebring....

That's interesting. I know that the Sebring platform was derived from the 9g galant.

I-S
18-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Some more info:

Engines will be 4B11 (2.0 MIVEC DOHC 16v), VAG 2.0 TDI, 4B11T in the EVO (4G63T is at the end of the road in EVO IX then) and either a detuned 4B11T or a 4B12 (2.4) model as the "ralliart" in the USA.

Transmissions for standard models will be 5-speed manual or a CVT with 6-step "manual" mode with shift paddles behind steering wheel. Word on the street is that the EVO will have a DSG gearbox.

Platform is the Mitsubishi GS, which is derived from the 9g galant. It also sees service as the Chrysler JS and is found in Dodge Avenger, Jeep Compass, Dodge Caliber, Chrysler Sebring, etc.

I-S
18-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Another word on the street is that the 10G galant is underway, and will be based on the GS platform also. No more info on that.

Wodjno
18-12-2006, 11:50 AM
NO NO NO NO NO /Grrr

What the Duck have they done.. :inquisiti

Should have stuck with the prototype :scholar:

Front now looks like a cross between a Honda Accord and a Volvo :thinking:

And the rear now looks like an Alfa.. :speechles

Don't Like, Don't Like Don't Like.... IMHO /pan

WildCards
18-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Ford group front end and an Alfa Romeo ar5e. It's looks turd compared to the concepts before

I-S
18-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Actually I quite like it... might consider one of these...

psbarham
18-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Actually I quite like it... might consider one of these...
ditto , especially if they v6 it , if not it'll be the evo for me

jaimz
18-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I reckon it looks like a pretty good 'toned down' version of the Evolution X. All the lines are still there, as are the shapes of the front and rear lights.

Wouldn't be suprised if the Evo X ends up looking exactly like those pictures we know and love - Remember how different the Lancer Cedia looks to the Evolution VIII and IX..!

I-S
18-12-2006, 11:40 PM
The 4B12 is 172bhp. There's also a 4B12T, used in the Dodge Caliber SRT-4.

KiwiTT - isn't the existing 2.4 the 4G69 (160bhp)?

Wodjno
19-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Jjjj

Wodjno
19-12-2006, 12:12 AM
How did they get from This:

To what you see at the top of the page ??

I think Mitzy need a good ducking Slap !!

I-S
19-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Let me explain:

1) Overhanging bonnet over the lights. You'll never, EVER get that to pass pedestrian impact requirements. Gone.

2) LED Headlamps. Cost, and LEDs aren't quite ready for the prime time on headlamps... issues over heat, heating the glass, etc. No doubt the EVO will have HID Projectors, but the bread and butter model was never, EVER going to have anything but halogen filament lamps.

3) LED Tail clusters. Cost. EVO will probably have them, but there's also the fact that the pictures appear to be for US spec cars where clear lensing indicators is not accepted practice (although in the US no yellow indicator is required at the back)

4) Bonnet vents - no doubt will make their appearance on the EVO.

Other than those things, it's really not very different at all. Remember how the 9G galant ralliart looks almost passable when the vanilla 9g is vomitworthy? Make a reasonable comparison here... compare to a current vanilla lancer:

D.J
19-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Compared to some of the euro boxes presently out there, I'd buy it.

Wodjno
19-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Let me explain:

1) Overhanging bonnet over the lights. You'll never, EVER get that to pass pedestrian impact requirements. Gone.

I disagree! They are recessed lights :inquisiti No different to a recessed grill :thinking:

The Led's are not that important to the looks /pan

Not over keen on the clear rear lights, it's just oh so IS200 /pan

The bonnet vent should stay..:happy:

I-S
19-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes it is different. Look at where the bonnet shutline is on the production car vs the prototype. The point there is that the grille surround is soft, deformable plastic, not metal. The bonnet metal is further back. There is still some slight overhang with the plastic bumper material now.

So go on then, list what it is they've changed that you dislike? They look pretty similar to me, and like I said, the bonnet vent will no doubt be there on the EVO. These pictures are just the plain bread-and-butter lancer that sells for $15000 or £10000.

Alex
19-12-2006, 09:30 PM
I might be missing the point, but it looks a bit too american to me IMHO (like the model's been done a million times in the US, and they're dressing it up as a new concept).

KiwiTT
20-12-2006, 02:48 AM
This is the new generation Mitsubishi Lancer to be displayed in next month's Detroit motor show. It is built on the same platform as the company's Outlander SUV and Chrysler's Dodge Caliber and Sebring. As a result, the car is larger than the last one, measuring 4570mm long (35mm up), 1760mm wide (65mm up) and 1490mm tall (60mm up). Its wheelbase is increased by 35mm to 2635mm.

Mitsubishi hasn't revealed full technical details, only saying the North American version will include the same 2.0-liter 16V MIVEC VVT World Engine as its Chrysler cousins. It transmits 152 horsepower to the 6-speed paddle-shift CVT transmission. Looks like the 8G Galant, even it's wheelbase is the same length.

It looks as if my prediction of the Lancer filling the void left by the 8G is coming true.

Interestingly about engine sizes, the NZ/AU lancer already has 2.4 litres and this is not an option known yet on this model.

Now a 2.4 litre DOHC MIVEC motor would be good as opposed to the current SOHC version.

From side on, I think the nose is too long in front of the wheels, which may actually place the engine too forward of the front axle, which will probably effect the handling in the same way as the Peugeot 407 is affect.

Also, I think the body waistline is too high, (something that puts me off the Mazda 6 BTW). Probably because I have always been a fan of Jaguars and they always have a low waistline.

I was seriously considering upgrading to this car in a few years time, but the this design is a serious disappointment and it will be a much cheaper and better option to maintain my VR-4 for as long as possible.

I think in a couple years time, I will get a new paint job and just continue servicing it as heavily as I do. $2,000 per annum on servicing is way less than the depreciation on a new or near new car. (NOTE: If my service costs reach $4-5,000 per annum, I may have to review my position. As to fuel, I don't worry, the difference between $30 per week and $60 per week is not worth worrying about)

Looks like their might be quite a few interesing versions.
Set to enter the UK's mainstream compact family car market for the first time, the new model will be offered here in both saloon and hatchback form, with a full and varied line-up.

The angular new look, showcased by the Concept-X and Concept-Sportback studies in 2005, gives the new model a distinctive front end. Buyers will have the choice of 1.5, 2.4 and potent 2.0-litre turbo petrol engines, plus a version of VW's 2.0-litre TDI diesel.

And at the top of the range will be the Lancer Evolution X. This model gets the turbocharged powerplant, which delivers in excess of 300bhp, and a hi-tech four-wheel-drive system. A new virtually production-ready Evo X concept will sit alongside the standard Lancer at the Detroit expo.

A warm Lancer Ralliart model will also be produced. Named after the firm's racing division, the car uses the Evo X's engine, but it will be detuned to deliver between 180 and 200bhp. The new Lancer could appear in the UK by September in four-door form, although bosses are likely to delay the launch until January 2008, when the Evo X and Ralliart models will also be available.

Prices are yet to be announced, but entry-level models are likely to start from £11,500, with the Evo X expected to weigh in at around £30,000.