PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Clarkson's Sunday Times VR-4 article.

Jamo
30-04-2003, 11:10 AM
Alright all,

Was lucky to find the previous owner had left a few catalogues and bits and bobs in my VR-4 when I bought it.

Included is a photocopy of a Jeremy Clarkson article in the Sunday Times, dated 6th June 1999, titled "Evo's a vulgar girl, but I love her little sister".

Starts out by being a little nasty on the EVO VI, then says why he thinks the VR-4 is superb.

I'll type it up INSERT INTO post VALUES (quite long) if anyone's interested. Not sure a scan would come out.

...Jamo

Nick VR4
30-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Ohh talking about finding things
When i brough the car asked the garage has it got a Cd player ??
Answer was no
I thought ok no biggy
Picked up car and went to put the beige mats in i managed to wangle out of the garage and hey presto 6 cd changer under passengers seat :D
Than a few weeks later noticed the outside brake light was naff
Went to Halfords picked up a bulb went to changed it and found £80 :eek: rolled up and placed between the wiring :D
Happy or what :D
I drove home and searched every nock and cranny for any more goodies........ found some of those bungie cords that was it
Im guessing the guy who had it before me put the ££ there for emergency use

BraindG
30-04-2003, 11:57 AM
nice finds :D

/heads out to car to search it....

...errr crap, car isnt here.. :Cry1:

Brind
30-04-2003, 06:20 PM
I have the first issue of 'GOOD CAR BAD CAR' written by Clarkson for The Sunday Times.

It basicly tells you his top 5 cars he thinks are best in every vehicle class.
The Galant VR-4 is amongst the Executive Perks test.

1st, BMW 5-Series
2nd, Audi A6
3rd, Galant VR-4
4th, Jaguar XJ
5th or "NO WAY!" it reads: Peugeot 607.

The snippet under the VR reads:
IF SPEED IS THE MAIN THING Most Mitsubishis have the appeal of lettuce, pootling around the streets unnoticed, but drive the rally-bred, four-wheel-drive, turbocharged 276bhp VR-4, and you'll be a Tommi Makinen among IT consultants. It goes and turns like a whippet, and the price includes everything on the spec list, one of the most surprising cars around.

Prices.....£15,995-£32,995
Engines...2.0-2.5
LxWxH....4740x1760x1450
VR4........£31,995
Engine....V6/2498cc
Power.....276bhp/5500rpm
0-60......6.9sec <--- whats that????? :nono:
Top Speed 149mph

He also says:
So why, then, have I included a Mitsubishi among obvious contenders from BMW, Jaguar and Audi? well the fact is that a VR-4 is a little bit different, shark-like saloon car with a twin turbo V6 and four-wheel drive. A Rottweiler among Labradors. The fuel consumption can be horrific - expect no more than 18mpg - but for the sheer thrill of driving there is nothing in the class that comes close!. Not even the 5-Series BMW....

Brind
30-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Nice one Nick, :thumb:

JonRB
02-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Brind The fuel consumption can be horrific - expect no more than 18mpgIs that a realistic day-in day-out value or abnormally low? It's just that I can get that out of my 5 litre TVR and I was hoping to get a VR-4 as my daily driver. This could alter my plans a little. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/eek.gif

Roadrunner
02-05-2003, 11:28 PM
In normal daily INSERT INTO post VALUES (fairly rapid) driving, I average around 20mpg. Never better than 21mpg, never usually lower than 18mpg, unless I'm on track, when it's been as low as 7mpg :eek: . Only ever use Optimax or Super Unleaded. It's not cheap, but it's more fun than a diesel Astra .... ;)

Brian

Brind
02-05-2003, 11:30 PM
I think you'll find it depends alot on how you drive it.

The same engine without the turbos can return about 31mpg.
If you drive the VR-4 without putting your foot down at every junction you could see a return of about 25mpg.

Roadrunner
02-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Where's the fun in that ....?? :D

Brind
02-05-2003, 11:49 PM
There isn't!!!!! :D

JonRB
03-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Well it depends on what you're buying the car for really, doesn't it?

I'm looking for a fast family / loadlugger daily driver that is equal to or better than the Corrado VR6 in perfromance. I'd hoped that the Galant VR4 Estate might fit the bill.

I already have the TVR for 18mpg weekend fun. http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/evil.gif

Guess I'm really going to have to see / drive one before I can make the decision on whether it's a viable option or not.

Thanks for the help guys
Jon

ITMATT
06-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Just rushed out side....Didn't find no cd changer or cash:Ponder:

Brind
06-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ITMATT
Just rushed out side....Didn't find no cd changer or cash:Ponder:
I did the same at the time!:D all I found was the paper that was put on the floor to protect the mats when it was test driven shoved under the seat.:INSERT INTO post VALUES (