PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi All

I know theres some Photography Buffs on here :happy: So i'm hoping to get some good advice :thinking: But nothing to deep and headaching technical :speechles

I am replacing my last Digital Camera(Which has given up the ghost) and want to replace it with a capable Digital SLR.. :happy:
I want the ability to fit different lenses or upgrade lenses when i require them. I don't mind a 2nd hand 1, if i am going to be able to get more spec for my money ! My Budget is £300 :inquisiti

Any help is good help :scholar: But remember... Not to technical :pimp2:

Hows this 1 for instance ??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SAMSUNG-PRO-815-DIGITAL-SLR-LIKE-CAMERA-60X-ZOOM_W0QQitemZ290063183549QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290063183549

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SAMSUNG-Pro-815-8MP-SLR-LKE-DIGITAL-CAMERA-60X-ZOOM_W0QQitemZ180065543858QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31388 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180065543858

I-S
20-12-2006, 10:03 AM
What you linked is not a DSLR and does not have interchangeable lenses.

By far your best bet is to buy a second hand canon or nikon:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-10D-Digital-Camera-and-28-80-Canon-lens_W0QQitemZ110068969496QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31388 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a good example of a much better buy. The point about the canon and nikon systems is that you will find much more, much better quality second-hand equipment available (lenses, flashguns, etc) than any other DSLR system.

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 10:14 AM
What you linked is not a DSLR and does not have interchangeable lenses.

By far your best bet is to buy a second hand canon or nikon:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-10D-Digital-Camera-and-28-80-Canon-lens_W0QQitemZ110068969496QQihZ001QQcategoryZ31388 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's a good example of a much better buy. The point about the canon and nikon systems is that you will find much more, much better quality second-hand equipment available (lenses, flashguns, etc) than any other DSLR system.

Hmmm... Maybe i don't want a DSLR with interchangeable lenses now /help
The Missus has said she doesn't want summat to Techy and Faffing around with different lenses /Grrr
So what i need is something that can do most of what a DSLR can do, but in an all in 1 package :5shots:

Sorry for the Faffing /pan

I-S
20-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Depends what you mean by most of...

My choice would then be http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-POWERSHOT-PRO1-DIGITAL-CAMERA-8MP-PRO-1_W0QQitemZ300060324950QQihZ020QQcategoryZ31388QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thecustomer
20-12-2006, 10:41 AM
if you've already got lenses from an analogue SLR, then why not buy just the body of a digital slr?

If you're looking for an all in one package then you're into religion... one man's Nikon is another man's Cannon.

I've used Sony dsc cameras for a while - and it's very handy having a decent video function built in. When the family's fully laden with clobber it's good not to have to choose whether to take still or video camera - and I'd never lug both.

Something like this Minolta (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONICA-MINOLTA-DiMAGE-A2-DIGITAL-CAMERA-8MP-A-2_W0QQitemZ290063942463QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388QQt cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) would fit your budget.

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 10:46 AM
I knew this would happen :inquisiti Toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many choices /help Why is there not just 1 camera :speechles then i would just go and buy that 1 /Camera

So is the 1 i 1st linked to, any good :book:

HJM
20-12-2006, 10:54 AM
TBH a lot of it depends on what you want it for. We had a Samsung which was great for outdoor snaps - not so brilliant indoors, but it wasn't an expensive camera.

We then 'upgraded' to a Kodak summat or other, which had 10x optical zoom, etc and was great to a point.

I don't know if I have ever mentioned this, but I like to take the odd track pic :thinking: It was only then I realised just how inadequate our camera was - it just wasn't fast enough! Hence the next step to the 20D, which has continuous shooting and can take 5 frames per second.

But if you are only going to take pictures of stationary or slow moving objects, then it won't matter.

Not much help really, but hey :happy:

J :)

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:02 AM
TBH a lot of it depends on what you want it for. We had a Samsung which was great for outdoor snaps - not so brilliant indoors, but it wasn't an expensive camera.

We then 'upgraded' to a Kodak summat or other, which had 10x optical zoom, etc and was great to a point.

I don't know if I have ever mentioned this, but I like to take the odd track pic :thinking: It was only then I realised just how inadequate our camera was - it just wasn't fast enough! Hence the next step to the 20D, which has continuous shooting and can take 5 frames per second.

But if you are only going to take pictures of stationary or slow moving objects, then it won't matter.

Not much help really, but hey :happy:

You are speaking in my speak Jane :5shots: :iloveyou:

I see where your coming from.. :inquisiti

Some of the little compact jobbies can do a lot of ****, as long as you play around with all the settings in manual mode.. And Yes 5 Frames a second would be nice :happy: But thats just for Photographers who can't get it right with just 1 Pic isn't it /help

HJM
20-12-2006, 11:07 AM
But thats just for Photographers who can't get it right with just 1 Pic isn't it /help

Yep and trust me, it helps!!!

The Vee
20-12-2006, 11:10 AM
I've been using a Fuji finepix (S7000) .There are 2 or 3 models to choose from and have been very pleased with it. It's what they call an SLR type. So the lenses are not interchangeable but it goes from a reasonably wide angle to zoom with the fitted lens. Has all the usual manual or auto functions and a good host of effects etc. I'm no techy on these things, but despite all the features, it can be used almost point and shoot.

SGHOM
20-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Just to confuse you even more Glenn ! :speechles :thinking: :thinking:

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/slr-cameras.cfm

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:18 AM
I've been using a Fuji finepix (S7000) .There are 2 or 3 models to choose from and have been very pleased with it. It's what they call an SLR type. So the lenses are not interchangeable but it goes from a reasonably wide angle to zoom with the fitted lens. Has all the usual manual or auto functions and a good host of effects etc. I'm no techy on these things, but despite all the features, it can be used almost point and shoot.

Is it much like the link i have posted in the 1st post ??

SGHOM
20-12-2006, 11:19 AM
and you'll need a decent lense ?? :inquisiti /help

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s25496/0/Lenses/Nikon/800mm-f56-Ifed/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&comp=n

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:21 AM
and you'll need a decent lense ?? :inquisiti /help

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s25496/0/Lenses/Nikon/800mm-f56-Ifed/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&comp=n

"AND YOU JUST STAY AWAY FROM MY THREADS" /Grrr

Si.
20-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Canon 300D suited my similar needs for a DSLR. Got one form ebay with a couple of lenses for about £400.

Really good camera, really easy to use for those that don't have a clue where to start. :afro:

SGHOM
20-12-2006, 11:27 AM
"AND YOU JUST STAY AWAY FROM MY THREADS" /Grrr

so my link to 'which SLR' no good then ?? /pan /pan

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:28 AM
so my link to 'which SLR' no good then ?? /pan /pan

YOU JUST WANT TO CONFUSE ME :inquisiti

Not when my 2nd post says i don't want a DSLR :pimp2:

thecustomer
20-12-2006, 11:30 AM
So is the 1 i 1st linked to, any good :book:

Yeah, I'd buy it.

Will
(does that help?)

The Vee
20-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Is it much like the link i have posted in the 1st post ??

Yes it is, if anything, the one you have linked is better spec. Again it's an SLR type by the looks of it, not full blown SLR, so no changing lenses.

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I'd buy it.

Will
(does that help?)

PS... Do you know anything about Photography :book:

I-S
20-12-2006, 11:33 AM
At Jessops prices I have....

£3120 worth of lenses. /help

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:35 AM

/pan /pan /pan /pan /pan /pan And you wonder why you can't afford a VR4 /pan /pan /pan /pan /pan /pan

HJM
20-12-2006, 11:38 AM

I'm saying nuffink :inquisiti

J :anxious:

Wodjno
20-12-2006, 11:40 AM

At Mitzy Prices i have 50k worth of cars :pimp2:

I-S
20-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Lenses don't quite depreciate like cars thankfully.... and they don't cost anything to run!

It gets better though... I only have 4 lenses (and two teleconverters), and one of them is only worth £90!

Throbbe
20-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I've got a Canon Powershot G3, which is a nice compromise between SLR and basic point and click.

The current G6 is a bit over your price limit clicky (http://www.b4utele.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=298), but you should be able to get a G5 off the 'bay for less.

ariddell
20-12-2006, 01:22 PM
If you go for a DSLR you may find it gives you all the flexibility you need without actually needing to change lenses unless you want to.

Really depends on what you want to do and how much you are going to get into it. I find for 95% of what i do i use the one lens and never have any need to change it, but i like having the flexibility that the DSLR gives you of being able to fully control every aspect of how it takes the picture if you want to. If you you can always just stick it in fully auto like any other camera too.

Other thing to consider is weight, when you start getting into the older but higher end camera at that price point they will be metal body and therefore rather heavy. The 10d is a beast for example and i certainly wouldn't want to lug one around.

I have used a Canon 300d for quite a while and always been very pleased with it, have recently replaced it with the 400d so am selling the old one with an 18-55mm lens, battery grip, etc etc if it's of interest if you do decide to go the DSLR route.

I-S
20-12-2006, 02:32 PM
The 10d is a beast

:inquisiti

The 10D is nothing like a beast...

THIS (my old camera) is a beast:

Rikki
20-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I use the Canon 300D, great camera, no issues with it whatsoever and I think it has recently come down in price.

ariddell
20-12-2006, 04:37 PM
:inquisiti

The 10D is nothing like a beast...

THIS (my old camera) is a beast:

Ooeerrrrr that is indeed a big one. Surprised you weren't walking funny when packing that bad boy.... :)

thecustomer
20-12-2006, 07:38 PM

PS... Do you know anything about Photography :book:

lol
;)

yeah, a bit - got 2 minolta slr bodies & a box of lenses ranging from fisheye to 500mirror: used to use them a lot on safari in Zambia & Zimbabwe. (Amazing what you could afford to do before kids!)

Currently using a Sony f828: next camera will be a dslr that'll take all my old lenses... so that'll be a Sony A10 or whatever they call it...

Will

Brunty
20-12-2006, 08:32 PM
If you aren't desperate to spend £300 I've got a Fujifilm 6900z that's a few years old and was always way more than a 'snapper' like me ever required.

You could then put £250 towards challenging Isaacs lens collection.

Sorry this /Hijack is now over.

Kieran
20-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I use the Canon 300D, great camera, no issues with it whatsoever and I think it has recently come down in price.

Another vote for the 300D here. It's capable of very good results, but I found as a photography twit that it's easy enough to be used by a beginner too - if you leave everything 'Auto', you can use it like a 'point and shoot' camera and still yield great photographs!

timiano
21-12-2006, 02:58 PM
As thecostomer said, If you are concerned about lugging a video camera around too, I'd be looking at a digital camera that does mpeg-4 recording.

The current crop of Sony's is mpeg-1 which isn't very good (in comparison) and Canon's and the rest record to a minimally compressed avi (m-jpeg) or mov. Problem with them is that the videos are good quality, but they fill your card up in a nanosecond and aren't very good for hols. Good example of good stills and movie cam is Samsung NV10, which has a rather mad touch screen control thingy. It can be had for just under £200 from most places.

If you want an SLR type camera, your 3 best choices are:
Nikon 6500fd - £225
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 - £340
Canon PowerShot S3 IS - £240
Sony DSC-H5 - £250

Out of them, the Panasonic would probably swing it just over the Nikon, having Optical Image Stabilization, which is very handy on lenses that can reach toward 400mm end of things. I'd be more tempted for the Nikon if I wasn't shooting long all the time as it'll shoot happily up to ISO 800, and then upto 3200 providing you shoot RAW, cos it'll look crap in-camera.

Tim

Wodjno
08-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the info given above :2thumbsup

But i went for the original Samsung i linked to in the first post. /help

The reason being was that it seemed to do all that i wanted and more, and althogh your information was much appreciated :iloveyou: There was that much that i got confuddled :speechles To much info for me to process :book: So rather than go for summat that wasn't to sure about, i went for something i have completely no idea about :pimp2:

But at lease if i don't like it, the only person i can blame is myself :scholar:

Thanks again...:iloveyou: And will report my findings of the camera when i can work out how to get it out of the box /pan