PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Belt problems

MGV6
22-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Woke up this morning, started the car and as I turned the steering, huge loud sreeching noise from the engine (for about 10 seconds) and I immediately knew what it was. Power Sterring belt was only replaced 3 months ago so it could only have been the Alternator belt and so I thought maybe it just needs tightening but when I saw it, it was already tight but instead but it had lots of cracks on it. Amazing, its been barely less then a year when it was last changed (by previous owner) it so very strange. However, before I think it had a generic belt (can't remember) so I got one from Mitsubishi (they cost £25) and first I thought I try fitting it myself but when I looked at it, it looked very very tricky to fit in because the alternator belt goes round over the Air-con belt area so making it extra tough to fit it in. I sent it to my local garage and done the job for a tenner.

More misery and expense this Galantee gives :)

Spirit
22-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Basic servicing rather than misery IMO. Maybe an original belt would have saved money in the long run.....not always better to buy cheaper.

psbarham
22-12-2006, 07:24 PM
cheaper can be the same as being shafted by the dealers , gates make most of the OEM belts and 90% of the pattern ones as well so why pay over the odds for one in a mitsu box when one from the motorfactors is exactally the same product . the timing belt i fitted to mine was 1/4 of the price of the mitsu one , but was made by goodyear , so coz its cheaper its sh!t is it ?

stuartturbo
22-12-2006, 08:15 PM
A cracked belt is sign of to tight or loose
Probably due to it being to tight. Possible if they fitted the new one by " rolling it on" to the old tension position
But if it is all glazed/shiny on vee it was to loose.
This is a possibility as a new belt will stretch and should be checked after a period of time since the adjuster is manual.

Spirit
22-12-2006, 08:49 PM
so coz its cheaper its sh!t is it ?

Who said that, just expressed that "maybe" it was a reason, who knows what make the belt was.......touchy :happy:

MGV6
22-12-2006, 09:07 PM
cheaper can be the same as being shafted by the dealers , gates make most of the OEM belts and 90% of the pattern ones as well so why pay over the odds for one in a mitsu box when one from the motorfactors is exactally the same product . the timing belt i fitted to mine was 1/4 of the price of the mitsu one , but was made by goodyear , so coz its cheaper its sh!t is it ?

do you know what their website address is?

psbarham
22-12-2006, 09:09 PM
do you know what their website address is?
local motor factors , have a look in the yellow pages .

caishanvr4
22-12-2006, 09:35 PM
so coz its cheaper its sh!t is it ?

Yeah it is :curtain: /STP /boxing

All my belts got done last year, bought from dealer and squealing like a :bobby2:
Hope to get em looked at some time soon.

Wodjno
22-12-2006, 10:00 PM
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1398p5586