PDA

View Full Version : Australian car industry are in trouble.

KiwiTT
22-12-2006, 09:12 PM
After years and years of building only bigger and bigger cars and importing rubbish like Kias and Daewoos re branded as Fords and Holdens respectively to fill a small car segment, and even though they re-branded some quality products from Europe and Japan, they have only themselves to blame. The new VE Holden is just too big, the 380 (9G US Galant) is a dog and the Falcon is years old. Even Toyota have some lump they call an Aurion.

The big car market is collapsing in Australia (and the US), like it has already done in Europe (Ford Granada, Opel Senator anyone), due to the high prices there. They must of been either naive, hopefull or very stupid not to see the trends already established in Europe/UK and for that matter the rest of the world.

Now they want the Government to bail them out with AU$1 Billion and freeze tariffs at 10% (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10416226). I wonder how many people will want their taxes spent these days supporting a badly managed industry,

Rossco Type-S
22-12-2006, 09:43 PM
What happens with the Toyota Aurion will be interesting, as it was designed with the knowledge that the market was falling, so is more econimical etc.

I guess the one positive thing you have to say is that bang for your buck it is hard to beat the Aussie 8's (even thought their performance is overated is below many japanese performance cars). Realistically, their non-aussie competitors' cars are at least twice the price.

VR-04-TT
23-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I want to see australian manufacturers close to be honest. All they do is build "bigger and better" (using the term better very loosely) rubbish. Large cars are a pain in the arse and imports are exceedingly popular. So popular, in fact, that the Oz car market is scared of them.

My opinion is if they were building what we wanted, not the **** they keep expecting us to buy, they wouldn't be in a stitch right now.

I have no sympathy for the companies themselves, only for the workers on the assembly lines.

bradc
23-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't see a problem with the new Commodore at all, holdens problem is all of the crappy daewoo cars they are selling

KiwiTT
23-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't see a problem with the new Commodore at allI beg to differ (http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,20721492-5009380,00.html). They are alreading starting to discount after just 2 months on the market.

More gloom for large cars here (http://editorial.carsales.com.au/car-review/2182876.aspx)

bradc
23-12-2006, 10:41 PM
They allways discount their cars :) If I had that much moeny to spend on a new car it would be a HSV GTS.

VR-04-TT
24-12-2006, 12:11 AM
It's not the actual commodore I have a problem with at all. My problem is that Australia always gets the second rate crap. Best example is the 2nd gen magna (1st gen diamante), in all countries other than australia the DOHC 24v 6G72 3.0l V6 was available but only with an auto transmission. They were even available in AWD!!!

It wasn't untill about 2003 (I think?) that we got an awd magna. One decade behind...which pretty much sums up the whole australian car market barre imports.

bradc
24-12-2006, 05:00 AM
Magna's were never sold here new with 4wd, we basically the magnas you guys got, but no 4wd versions at all and only a few ralliart ones

VR-04-TT
24-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Ah fair enough. You guys have no local manufacturer though am I right? So everything is imported meaning you could've imported one if you could find one? I've definitely seen an awd diamante for sale in NZ on www.trademe.co.nz, I was considering importing it as parts to do an awd conversion to my magna...but it was far far too expensive so I got the vr4, a much better option ;)

Rossco Type-S
25-12-2006, 10:12 AM
AWD Diamantes are all Jap imports aren't they?

bradc
25-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah it probably was an import, we see lots of Magna imports here (and how do you think all the Legnums got here?)

Xeroid
26-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Geez Brad you're one eyed, Holdens are still being built with block that was designed in the 1970's, the head comes from about 1980's and the quality of the build is crud. Over 4000 rpm and the engine sounds like it's about to haemorage all over the place. Ford is a bit better but the real beef is they haven't kept up with the consumer requirements which is smaller more efficient cars which the japanese seem to have done right.
The USA car manufacturers are in the same boat, bigger and better Hummers that use more fuel. It's head in the sand stuff, Bush would be proud of them all. Last car I'd buy would be a Aussie Holden or Ford, the industry has only got itself to blame with all it's protectionism over past years and not biting the bullet like NZ did ages ago and sorting out the in efficiencies.

KiwiTT
29-12-2006, 09:47 PM
BTW: Brad, there were actually AWD AUS Diamantes (called Magna in AUS) sold here. Don't you remember the Commercial on NZ TV with it out-cornering Holdens and Fords because it had 4WD. That more than anything tells me they were sold here as well. Also some of our Managers had AWD Leased cars.

bradc
30-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Actually no I don't remember those ads Richard, but I do know they sold them in Aussie.

Xeroid, yeah I do like Holdens, but I'd prefer to have the VR-4 than just about any Holden :)

Rossco Type-S
30-12-2006, 01:01 AM
BTW: Brad, there were actually AWD AUS Diamantes (called Magna in AUS) sold here. Don't you remember the Commercial on NZ TV with it out-cornering Holdens and Fords because it had 4WD. That more than anything tells me they were sold here as well. Also some of our Managers had AWD Leased cars.

So there was, there a few for sale on trademe.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=79697262&key=125738

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=79642044&key=125738

Before my first VR4 I had a jap import 4wd Diamante, it was bloody nice to drive. It handled reasonably well. Slight tendency to understeer which could be corrected with a little throttle. However, unlike the VR4 (which weighs slightly more), you could feel that it was a heavy car (partly because of soft suspension I would imagine) if taking bends at higher speeds.

bradc
30-12-2006, 02:02 AM
What engine was yours Rossco? Have you had any experience with the 30M Diamante's? I think they were only FWD, but what an engine :D

Rossco Type-S
30-12-2006, 10:25 AM
What engine was yours Rossco? Have you had any experience with the 30M Diamante's? I think they were only FWD, but what an engine :D

No I have never driven a 30M, one of the managers at work has one, and he loves it. Yes they are FWD. 200KW to the front wheels must be a handful in the wet.

Mine was a 2.5 Litre with 5sp Tiptronic. It was a 25SE so its motor was slightly uprated to 200Hp and 250Nm. Went pretty well but engine was a little peaky. Very economical compared to VR4, and it wasn't a GDi either.

bradc
30-12-2006, 11:24 AM
200kw to the front must be a lot of fun :) Pity Mitsi never made a 4wd version, or even a 3.5l v6 with mivec and 4wd.

Rossco Type-S
30-12-2006, 11:33 AM
200kw to the front must be a lot of fun :) Pity Mitsi never made a 4wd version, or even a 3.5l v6 with mivec and 4wd.

Yeah they should have used the Pajero Evoultion engine.

Mitsibushi Australia really are bizzare. Don't know why the Aussie 3.5 Diamantes weren't GDi - economy would have been heaps better. The power output from them should have been better too. For the basic model, output was 5Kw less than 3L motor the Japs were using.

3.8 L Mivec would be interesting!! 380M:)

bradc
30-12-2006, 08:53 PM
gdi's have problems with their fuel pumps though, and when they are a few years old they can have huge problems with economy as well, to be honest I don't think it is the best technology out there.

Mitsi showed a twin turbo 3.8l v6 didn't they? Now that would be fun :D

KiwiTT
31-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Don't know why the Aussie 3.5 Diamantes weren't GDi We don't have the 100 octane fuel that they really need.

Rossco Type-S
31-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Mitsi showed a twin turbo 3.8l v6 didn't they? Now that would be fun :D

Supercharged