PDA

View Full Version : ECU identification

KiwiTT
19-11-2003, 10:05 PM
I am wondering, if my car already has an upgraded ECU.

I have a 1996 VR-4 Type S. This model comes standard with 260 hp. The previous owner has modified it.
- HKS Air Induction
- 17" Alloys
- Lowered Suspension.

Would he modify the ECU to a newer one, if he went ahead with the other mods.

If not, can my 260hp ECU be upgraded to a 280hp ECU INSERT INTO post VALUES (from a 1998+ model). Also, would I notice the 20hp difference.

Brind
19-11-2003, 10:57 PM
The 20bhp increase is meant to only really make a difference top end..
Not many people know of the power difference so chances of the previous owner changing it could be very unlikely.

Pete INSERT INTO post VALUES (Spirit) has the 260bhp version and there wasn't any difference when were at Santa Pod drag strip, there are other factors to take into account aswell but still, he wasn't lacking any serious power!!

Spirit
19-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Yeah spot on there Mark - makes a small difference top end. Bonsai Boy INSERT INTO post VALUES (Graham) upgraded his and advised us it was not worth the money.

To quickly see if yours is an upgrade then just see if it is metal cased or plastic - if I remember the 260bhp one is metal and the newer ones plastic.

For the cost I would look at the option of a boost controller or aftermarket ECU

zedy1
19-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Yeah spot on there Mark - makes a small difference top end. Bonsai Boy INSERT INTO post VALUES (Graham) upgraded his and advised us it was not worth the money.

To quickly see if yours is an upgrade then just see if it is metal cased or plastic - if I remember the 260bhp one is metal and the newer ones plastic.

For the cost I would look at the option of a boost controller or aftermarket ECU

well mine is plastic on the triptronic and barrys was a manual
:Ponder:

Spirit
19-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by zedy1
well mine is plastic on the triptronic and barrys was a manual
:Ponder:

Is Barry's plastic covered too Mo ?

KiwiTT
20-11-2003, 01:11 AM
:cool1: Leave it as it is. Will check Plastic or Metal though.

zedy1
20-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by spirit979
Is Barry's plastic covered too Mo ?

no thats just has a metal casing