PDA

View Full Version : minor mod to VR4

KHK
24-12-2006, 05:47 AM
"Direct feed volatge to fuel pump " can this help?

"Turbo engines have smaller throttle bodies than there naturally aspiratd counter parts.....if you have a turbo grab the throttle off the n/a .. " does it sound useful?
If it is possible, which substitute should be used?

"its basic physics. the colder the air the more oxygen molecules in the same amount of air mass... meaning better and bigger bang under compression. install a cold air box to seperate the hot air heated by the engine. "
Seen someone's car having relocated the battery with airbox at that position/air duct connecting directly to oustide . How useful is it?

mpau009
24-12-2006, 06:33 AM
"Turbo engines have smaller throttle bodies than there naturally aspiratd counter parts.....if you have a turbo grab the throttle off the n/a .. " does it sound useful?
If it is possible, which substitute should be used?

Theres a thread kicking around where Gly was looking at the VR4 throttlebody, from memory i think that even though the throttle body is bigger, the manifold bits seemed to be quite different, and i think there was a worry about damaging the n/a engine, and there was going to be some extra work to fit the bigger throttle body to the intake manifold.

I'll have a quick look for it.

mpau009
24-12-2006, 06:36 AM
I'll have a quick look for it.

This was it http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16997

KHK
24-12-2006, 09:36 AM
pau , you relocate the battery to the boot?
how is the difference after the mushroom installation?

i' m thinking doing this way.

Axeboy
24-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Worth considering using a 1/2 size battery, it will have about the same effect as a relocation with less hassle.

A 1/2 size battery turned the other way fits well.

You can also have throttle bodies bored out if I remember, im sure Zentac had info on this. In terms of what would fit, i would reckon some of the FTO TB's might work.

The direct feed to fuel pump or 'hard wire' has been done by a few people to ensure that the fuel pump is running at full power at all times iirc. I have installed a 255lph pump but didnt hardwire and its been perfect without fuel cut etc. Id only do it if I had fuel cut issues.

KHK
25-12-2006, 04:45 PM
some says using a light flywheel can improve performance
i think, flywheel does have a reason to be heavy, inertia for stability (i guess)!
is it a good idea to use a light flywheel and what is its drawback?

Axeboy
25-12-2006, 04:53 PM
In general ive heard that the lighter flywheel is a good improvment... im sure someone will know some disadvantges... im sure it has something to do with going up hills...

Maybe that was from playing Gran Turismo too much.

BraindG
25-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Ive got a lightened flywheel in mine, and it is by far on of the best mods on my car (Boost Controller being numbero uno) the speed of the revs changes, you can go up gears so much faster, and it feels way more responsive in every gear. Well worth it!

bradc
25-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Barry - my twin plate comes with it's own flywheel doesn't it?

mpau009
25-12-2006, 10:38 PM
pau , you relocate the battery to the boot?
how is the difference after the mushroom installation?

i' m thinking doing this way.

Yeah, its definately noticable on the motorway, but really you need a sealed cold air setup, mine works well, but it switches from very cold at 100k, to back to sucking engine temp when you stop, which is causing me some constant over fuelling issues, which is ruining my economy, and the the ECU takes away a lot of power if it senses something isn't right, something about an unprobable reading from a sensor makes it fall back to a default setting.

Doing something like Gly, or Osiris will be the next thing on my list..

I looked at a half size battery option as well to try and keep my spare tyre, and i'm pretty sure it would have fitted down behind the side panels in the Legnum boot, but the way i did it ended up being really quite cheap, and will make it easier to build a proper air box.

Judging by the Dyno day results from a while back, increased boost, and a freer flowing exhaust will give a lot more reliable results, and still leaves the option of a performance panel filter like a lot have turned to.

bradc
25-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Increased boost and a proper cold air intake really will help, but some cold air intakes seem to create problems with the maf sensor. A panel filter is probably a better idea for most people.

EdmundVR4
26-12-2006, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE] Ive got a lightened flywheel in mine, and it is by far on of the best mods on my car (Boost Controller being numbero uno) the speed of the revs changes, you can go up gears so much faster, and it feels way more responsive in every gear. Well worth it! [QUOTE]

Sorry to go off topic, but I have a few questions for BraindG.
BraindG, is your Spec flywheel the same as an Evo 7/8 ?
Is it a bolt on fit or does it require some manipulation ?
How much lighter is the Spec flywheel over stock ?
Any drivability issues, or just as smooth as stock ?
Thanks in advance.
Edmund

BraindG
26-12-2006, 05:02 PM
BraindG, is your Spec flywheel the same as an Evo 7/8 ?
The one i got was for a evo 7 ( i think, lol) - thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9197)

Is it a bolt on fit or does it require some manipulation ?
I had to get a spacer made up to fill out the indent on the flywheel - thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96271&postcount=52)

How much lighter is the Spec flywheel over stock ?
Not to sure, would have to do some homework - just checked the website couldnt see actuall weight specs, but by touch it was alot lighter.

Any drivability issues, or just as smooth as stock ?
no issues really might be worth reading this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13836)

Thanks in advance.

No Bother

EdmundVR4
26-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks BraindG, I will be changing my clutch soon with an ACT clutch kit (MB7HDSS) & after reading your post about the flywheel being such an improvement over stock...made me think about the ACT XACT PROLITE FLYWHEEL or ACT XACT STREETLIGHT FLYWHEEL ! BTW, AutoPartsWarehouse has great prices. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=18&modelid=292&year=2003&partid=125&brandid=2651
But if it's not a direct fit, I might pass on that.
I'm tired of trying to get this or that to work on our cars & having to compromise.