PDA

View Full Version : WRX disapointment

Subaru ETA
26-12-2006, 09:26 AM
ok, i havw driven quite a few quick cars but i hadnt driven a wrx until this weekend...

now as you can tell by my name, im not a huge fan of the subie! I HAVE DRIVEN GT and RS legaceys and wasnt overly amazed by them.

While in wellington over xmas i visted my mate who has just got one. after giving her **** about it she gave me the keys and i took it for a thrash.
the car is a 94 version 1 wrx. i was thinking "well these things hae a cult following so they must be good..." how i was wrong!

the thing was quick dont get me wrong, but it just didnt throw me back in my seat! the vr4 and evos are so much quicker. the 2L boxer turbo just had no tourqe! we took it up on the motorway, if you can call that thing a motorway in welly/pan . i gave it heaps and it gave me nothing! i wound it up to around 160 but it jsut didnt do it for me.

so i took her to a car yard and got her to drive an evo4. next time im down im going evo shopping with her coz she realized she brought the wrong car!

go the MITSI!

Rossco Type-S
26-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Pre-2000 WRXs (except some special editions such as the 22B) are highly overated unless heavily modified . The Bug-eyed ones and on have pretty good performance.

StunEm
26-12-2006, 11:05 AM
My Mate has a '03 model STi WRX and been for a cruise in it.
Love the sound of it (sorry guys :lipseal ) but you just cant beat the way a VR4 throws you back as you launch. :thumbsup:

KHK
26-12-2006, 12:11 PM
bit surprised by your test report on WRX
i thought it should be real fast.

no chance to test drive a WRX
but had a chance to test drive a EVO4 long time ago...........impressively powerful!!
just cause of sky price insurance premium, i didn't buy the EVO4!
i am dreaming to have a EVO
but undoubtedly, VR4 has a good balance of comfortable car with power
more important, the insurance is reasonable

bradc
26-12-2006, 12:26 PM
standard wrx's are only 160kw or something anyway, they aren't that powerful, and they have quite a bit of lag as well. STI's can be something to be afraid of though.

OSiRiS
26-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I have the Legnum for show and cruise duties. My Evo is for race and other important jobs ;)

bernmc
26-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I suppose that old, std WRX's might not be too impressive, although my std MY2000 still used to give me a nice kick (miss it :(). However, they're so easy to tune - I've had scoobies go by me in the VR4 as if I was standing still.

And this thing could do 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds - I doubt there are many VR4's that could stay with it, apart from the minority of drag strip tuners here, and then only in a straight line.

The one I car I still regret selling/Hissy:

NAUSED
27-12-2006, 01:07 AM
sorry to all subie lovers and drivers as my cousins have a b4 and a sti, but "THERES NOTHING MORE HARDCORE THAN A VR4" :smug:

mitsi's rule :3d:

Xeroid
27-12-2006, 04:33 AM
The staged turbo's on the WRX's are the big laggers and cause the lack of low end go till the second stage turb gets into action at about 4000 or so. The boxer design means long pipes across the block for that setup whereas the VR4 turbs tucked up against the manis help heaps.
Don't follow the subie tech stuff much but the later ones ( > 2000) went with a twin turb setup I think which helped.
I'd compare WRX with EVO, not VR4, different sort of beast.
B4 with VR4 would be more comparable.

OSiRiS
27-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Evo vs. WRX
VR4 vs. Legacy

Subaru ETA
27-12-2006, 07:56 AM
i like evos but i wanted the nice inbetween ground of power and comfort. i took a B4 for a drive but it just didnt chub me up on acceleration like the vr4 does!

subarus are just overrated, only good if your driving up and down queen st making noise!

o yes and its great smacking them in the vr4 coz most suckers just dont realize... hehe

d i c k i e s
27-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Agreed! im not a fan on subbies, but theyre quite nosiy!

Rossco Type-S
27-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Agreed! im not a fan on subbies, but theyre quite nosiy!

Its not exactly a nice noise though. Sounds like someone has taken a beat up 1985 Toyota Corrolla with timing problems and cut a hole out of the exhaust

VR-04-TT
27-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I've been for a ride in the older model with the nice front end, like the blue one pictured above. It was bog stock and my magna was faster than it, and we went for a cruise afterwards and it was doing a damn good job of keeping up to it in the twisties.

The only thing was this guy was prepared to slide the arse end out of the rexie...I wasn't ready to be sliding anything in a 1500kg FWD car lol.

So I was unimpressed with that.

But...I did, a few months later, go for a ride in an 06 wrx, with the same mods as the STi's. It was a dealer principal's car, so he'd had everything done to it from the factory...it was basically an STi without the badge.

That thing was a fkn animal!!!!! I loved it...the sound as well. But, in the back of my mind I was going "come onnnnn vr4...whheerreee aarree yyoouuu?????"

Oh and just as a side note to the OP - It wasn't till I read your post that I realised your name was Eater and not Estimated Time of Arrival..ahhahaha I'm such an idiot!!

Rossco Type-S
28-12-2006, 05:41 AM
The staged turbo's on the WRX's are the big laggers and cause the lack of low end go till the second stage turb gets into action at about 4000 or so. The boxer design means long pipes across the block for that setup whereas the VR4 turbs tucked up against the manis help heaps.
Don't follow the subie tech stuff much but the later ones ( > 2000) went with a twin turb setup I think which helped.
I'd compare WRX with EVO, not VR4, different sort of beast.
B4 with VR4 would be more comparable.

Don't think there has ever been a factory twin turbo WRX. Could be wrong. At some point they changed to a twin scroll. Subaru's twin turbo set up is a dog anyway. That's why they dumped it on the 2003 and later legacies.

REVED
29-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Pre-2000 WRXs (except some special editions such as the 22B) are highly overated unless heavily modified . The Bug-eyed ones and on have pretty good performance.

Obviously someone hasn't driven a well looked after STi version, they make Non STi's look like non turbo's. Completely different car...

Rossco Type-S
29-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Whether you love or hate WRXs, they are likely to become more common on the roads because they are so much cheaper than EVOs in Japan. A 2000 STi is about the same price as a 97 Evo 4. In the past few months 2002 Prodrive STis have gone cheaper than EVO 5s. A pre-2000 WRX can be picked up for around $10,000. The bidding for a 1996 Evo 4 with over 100,000km will start at about that

agilroy
30-12-2006, 12:01 AM
WRX's eat ****, but STi's are damn good!

ShadyNZer
06-01-2007, 06:19 AM
im sick of seeing all these foresters around, so many in south aucks its retarded....

anyways yeah i wouldnt mind the bug eye suby, pretty quick

NAUSED
06-01-2007, 06:57 AM
i drove i legacy rs today for my brother and it isn't all that i must say, comparing my evo zero to the rs its hasn't got much, but then again it was standard apart from a b.o.v yet i would like to have a race with a good powered single turbo subaru.

adam (richy rich junior)
06-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I suppose that old, std WRX's might not be too impressive, although my std MY2000 still used to give me a nice kick (miss it :(). However, they're so easy to tune - I've had scoobies go by me in the VR4 as if I was standing still.

And this thing could do 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds - I doubt there are many VR4's that could stay with it, apart from the minority of drag strip tuners here, and then only in a straight line.

The one I car I still regret selling/Hissy:
My grandad a wrx but also had to sadly sell it becuase no one was driving it becuase he is a truck driver and my nan can't drive. It was such a same becuase we called it the beast becuase it was so fast because he ordered all his parts from italy

Lucas
06-01-2007, 10:08 PM
im sick of seeing all these foresters around, so many in south aucks its retarded....

Yep, can't say I like those Foresters much at all. They might have a good engine (for the type of vehicle) but they're hideous and so many people buy them just to be posers I reckon. A guy at work has one and thinks it's the best thing since sliced meatloaf!

ShadyNZer
08-01-2007, 05:29 AM
some look alright i reckon, but most are standard as with those ugly lil gold 17s on em, one of these chaps i used to work with had a black one on bags sittin on 18" spinners, and they looked too small for the size of it so he got 22s i think....bagged out and kitted up they look pretty choice....but standard as with a couple gauges is eats

Lucas
08-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Yeah I'd agree with that. The problem is most people buy em, drop em and slap a big exhaust on them then rape them wherever they go. But yeah if you do a good job then they alright I guess

hare
08-01-2007, 10:00 AM
shame on me,I still haven't drive any WRX before,I guess the late model should be quite fast?I did drive customer's R33GTR before,it's really really fast even a factory standard car.

Subaru ETA
10-01-2007, 05:00 AM
hare do u work for speed factory??

bradc
10-01-2007, 06:44 AM
yes he does. Alfred is his name

Munta
11-01-2007, 09:55 PM
i have drive an wrx sti version 3. and it didnt do anything for me, turbo took to long to spool and just didnt pull as hard as the leggy from launch. perfer the vr4 but like the sound of a good wrx