PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably urgent suspension question

stevec205gti
26-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, urgent as in I need to know before tomorrow :D

I am currently trying to remove Hordaks gearbox and am chugging my way through the service manual instructions. I've got to the stage where I need to remove the suspension turret - ie the bit with the spring. I just need to know how much of a bang it's going to go with when I remove the lower bolt - the manual makes no mention of spring compressors, but i didn't know if the lowering springs and different shocks made much of a difference.

Anyone done this and can let me know

Cheers

Steve

SGHOM
26-12-2006, 04:26 PM
simple answer ?? nothing... your ok to go ahead Steve.

Kieran
26-12-2006, 04:28 PM
You mean removing the lower bolt that bolts the shock carrier fork to the lower lateral arm?

If you do, then there won't be much, if any twang. If you have a spare jack (the tyre changing one will do) then you can 'brace' the lower arm upwards slightly. This will allow you to slide out the bolt MUCH more easily, and then when it's out, you can gently lower down the jack.

stevec205gti
26-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Cheers - i was expecting that but I'd rather double check than fire myself across the garden!

Bring on tomorrow.......

BraindG
26-12-2006, 04:51 PM
i dont think there is any twang. it just comes out, perhaps needs a bit of a bang with a hammer, but thats it. mind and take the drop links out first, makes life loads easier for putting things back in again, you just need use a jack to move suspension into position to rehouse the drop link.

stevec205gti
27-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Grrrrrr......anyone know how to get the bottom bolt out? The nut came off easy enough but it aint shifting. I've tried taking the strain off it with various jack arrangements but still nothing. Am i right in thinking it sould knock thorugh? ATM it's not even turning

SGHOM
27-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Grrrrrr......anyone know how to get the bottom bolt out? The nut came off easy enough but it aint shifting. I've tried taking the strain off it with various jack arrangements but still nothing. Am i right in thinking it sould knock thorugh? ATM it's not even turning
screwdiver & hammer & knock it through. the yolk will drop slightly as it pops out. :happy:

mpau009
27-12-2006, 12:57 PM

Mine came off easy enough recently and i didn't do anything in particular, but id suggest the 'rusty trailer axle-bolt fixing' technique we used at work, use a bunch of penetrating spray, a big lever and crack it so the bolt turns, if it still won't come free, then wind the nut back on a ways so you don't damage the thread, and give that a decent whack

stevec205gti
27-12-2006, 01:03 PM
It's had a big old soak in plus gas, but the bolt seems to be welded to the rubber bush, so trying to turn it just winds the bush up. I think i need to upgrade my 1lb copper mallet to something a bit bigger.......

Kieran
27-12-2006, 02:31 PM
It's had a big old soak in plus gas, but the bolt seems to be welded to the rubber bush, so trying to turn it just winds the bush up. I think i need to upgrade my 1lb copper mallet to something a bit bigger.......

Ahhh.... Now, I didn't have this problem with Hordak myself, But when Ariadne went in for recall, they had exactly the same problem. They sawed off the bolt as they were changing the arm anyway - despite my telling them (and agreeing) that a good bang from a hammer would shift it.

stevec205gti
27-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, I upgrade to a 3lb hammer and beat the living daylights out of it - and it still didn't shift!!!!

So, after some angle grinder action to remove both ends of the bolt, I managed to spread and "unhook" both sides of the arm. The bolt is well and truly seized solid, so since I have most of the arms in bits I may consider changing the bushes anyway.

Next up, drive shaft removal.......