PDA

View Full Version : Driveshafts next lol

stevec205gti
27-12-2006, 03:53 PM
You're gonna be sick of me soon

Well, next topic of conversation is driveshafts, the removal of. How the Mary Poppins do you get them out the gearbox? The manual says use pry bar (read large screwdriver) but it aint shifting. Also, the manual reckons I need to disconnect both, but how do I do that without removing the suspension the otherside? I was going to leave that side until I was in a position to move the gearbox itself - any problems with this? /help

BraindG
27-12-2006, 04:08 PM
This might be quite hard to explain, have you actually seen one out of the car?

They come out, but the gearbox one is a right pain in the arse!. Basically, you'll have to positiion yourself right under the car (this is way i found best) then look up to where the green housing is. Between that and the gearbox is a thin metal housing, which protects the rubber seal.

Be very carefull not to stick anything in there, or atleast to far into there. You, well from my experience dont actually need to pry it open from there. What you need is a nice bit of pole, or something fairly thickish. locate that between the end of the green housing, and soemthing on the engine, and then give it a sharp but firm yank, or smack with a mallet.

Bascially you are trying to level it away, there is a ring clip on the internal shaft, which the driveshaft is located on which is why its so hard. It needs a good thump to dislocate it.

BraindG
27-12-2006, 04:28 PM
I found mine in the garage...

The above image shows the inside, and the groove where the ring sits in... the bit thats causing this problem. A firm hard smack it it will free!

The above image shows how it looks side on.

The above image shows damage that can be caused by sticking something inbetween the protective cover, and the gearbox. note the thickness of the metal, prolonged wiggleness on that, and it will bend very easy, this one is a good example, my other one is wasted! However you can free it by using the green casing, and something on the engine to push against

stevec205gti
27-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Ok cheers - that's tomorrows mission!

stevec205gti
30-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Well - the gearbox is out.

Just a little note for anyone that reads this in the future - the drive shafts in the V6 are not the same as pictured above; they are the male part with the female part being in the gearbox. There are also no seal covers on the V6 shafts, so you can just put a bar between the gearbox casing and driveshaft, a gently tap to the bar with a hammer to lever them apart and they pop undone quite painlessly (which is more than can be said for other parts of the gearbox removal......)

BraindG
31-12-2006, 03:33 PM
ah excellent, good to hear you got it out Steve, I didnt realise the shafts were different on V6/GLS's.

Exbury
01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Just to confirm as Steve found out, the driveshafts have a male fitting with a female g/box fitting, however on the offside shaft you must be careful of the rubber seal and the lip that overhangs btween the box and the metal face of the driveshaft.