PDA

View Full Version : Need more boost

Ralli-Artist
28-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi All!

My 98' Galant Vr4 seems to be restricted to 6psi of boost.../Grrr

Anyone got any ideas how to "raise" this a little? without having to buy the recommended boost controller at the price of $800?

Should i just free boost the F**cker?

Cheers!

bradc
28-12-2006, 08:04 AM
If you try and free boost it, then fuel cut will occur at low revs and you won't have any fun at all :(

The cheapest option is just to get a manual boost controller, you should be able to get it up to about 12psi without much of a problem at all, just don't expect the turbos to hold 12psi all the way to the redline, the small turbos simply can't blow that hard at the redline. You will get a huge increase in torque from 3000-5000rpm anyway, which is what matters :D

Out of curiosity is it a pre or post facelift, and does it have a real gearbox?

mpau009
28-12-2006, 08:16 AM
/Welcome2

I'd check the BOV as well, it could be leaking. Factory seems to be around 8-10 psi so something isn't quite right.

Do you have any idle issues? or just not boosting.

Have a bit of a search of the site, there has been a few discussions on this before somewhere.

If it is just a control issue, id consider a cheaper electronic one depending on what your future plans are, i got the gizzmo one for around $300, and it works well, and as brad says it doesn't take much of a spike before the fuel cut comes into play, but a lot do use boost taps without a problem.

Axeboy
28-12-2006, 05:29 PM
naa, cars vary..

6psi is low but my current legnums standard boost was 0.47bar which is less than 7psi

Ralli-Artist
29-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Idles fine, just never gone over 6psi unless it was a cold night. pre face lift? im not too sure, would upload a picture but dont know how :baby:

A friend told me that a manual boost controller would only boost 1 turbo and not the other...? The recommended controller was TurboSmart's "Eboost2" worth $800. Blah. Should'a brought the EVO!

Gly
29-12-2006, 05:25 AM
A friend told me that a manual boost controller would only boost 1 turbo and not the other...?

and hes wrong, it adjusts both turbos as they are connected together in paralelle,

a manual boost tap is fine to use, just have to play around with it when you first install it... open it up a little at a time, go for a drive watch the boost guage,

and a safe setting would be around 12-15psi,

oh and a pre-faceleft is 96-98, and has this front

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1005

and a facelift is late 98-01 and has this front

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=20

oh and your friend sounds like one of those people who either has to much money?
or just wants to one of those guys who wants people to think he knows what he's on about :D

Gly
29-12-2006, 05:35 AM
here ya go manual boost controller that will do the job

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Turbos/auction-82413040.htm

you dont need to spend **** loads of $$

its not about how much you spend...
its about how its installed and setup,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=0001-0877-&searchString=boost+controller&searchRegion=100

Ralli-Artist
29-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Im the Facelift then!

$35 for that controller? better than $800. That will control both turbos? Who can install in Christchurch?

Am i able to upload a pic to this thread?

Gly
29-12-2006, 07:57 AM
yep....
cheap coz its a manual under bonnet controller, (still doz the job)
its basically just a on/off tap that lets you add or decrese the max boost level

click reply,
then under addition options click the manage attachments button,

yes is controls the boost from both turbos,
its easy as, its a basic DIY job,

theres a pictured guide in the members section, only $30 to join,

and VERY WORTH IT!

a mechanic would probilly charge you that to put it in... (thieving basterds!)

CANDEE
29-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Im the Facelift then!

$35 for that controller? better than $800. That will control both turbos? Who can install in Christchurch?

Am i able to upload a pic to this thread?

If you dont want to do it yourself you can go and see John at SPEC performance.. :)

bradc
29-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Gly's definately right, that cheap boost controller will do a fine job of upping your boost and giving you a huge performance increase, and it sounds as if Candee knows where to get it installed :)

Wodjno
29-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Gly's definately right, that cheap boost controller will do a fine job of upping your boost and giving you a huge performance increase, and it sounds as if Candee knows where to get it installed :)

Yup.. I'd go with taht as well.. I ran a Manual Boost Controller fro 2 years with no issues and Plenty of power :evilgrin:

Ralli-Artist
30-12-2006, 02:25 AM
nice. Where to get installed in Christchurch?

bradc
30-12-2006, 02:44 AM
That looks nice, how big are those wheels? 18" or 19"?

CANDEE
30-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Nice ride dude.. :P

As i mentioned before Jon at S.P.E.C. Performance would be a good guy to see.. :)
Hes the one that works on M1SEVO, WLDEVO, and that yellow STi that was on the Auto Salon ciruit as well.. :)

Heres his details:

Spec Performance
17 St Asaph St Riccarton Christchurch 0-3-377-7147
Cellular phone 0-27-425 3433

Ralli-Artist
30-12-2006, 05:39 AM
id like to say 19s :afro: Only 18s, 225/35/18.

I shall call into Spec on monday, or is that a public holiday? then Tuesday.

Cheers!

CANDEE
30-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Not a prob dude!!

Enjoy the rest of your festive season.. :P

Xeroid
31-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Just checked out the articles re doing this ( yeah, I'm getting itchy to try something as well ) but the photos don't quite match up with my internals.

My Plenum is a vertical config rather than horizontal ie pipes enter top instead of side, Is this normal for later models ?
Was going to plumb Pressure Guage there rather than at the mani pipe.

My hoses into the duct are not colour coded, ie no red indicator. There is a larger diameter hose fitted to a moulded connection on the big rubber duct and a smaller fitted hose on another moulding This hose also has a branching about 100 mm further up the line, 'Y' shaped connector with another pipe on it. Either of these ok to use or ..?

Oooops....here comes Liz, she won't like this query,.. better post it and run !!

mpau009
31-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Just checked out the articles re doing this ( yeah, I'm getting itchy to try something as well ) but the photos don't quite match up with my internals.

This pic helped me get my head around what was going on. Once you find one bit you can go from there. My boost gauge is plugged into the loop off the manifold, but if thats already used, i took the one for my boost controller from the FPR line which is harder to get at, but goes to the manifold as well.

OSiRiS
01-01-2007, 12:37 AM
If the car is standard and it's only boosting 5~6psi check out your turbos. One of them might have died.

Ralli-Artist
03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
So today I went to turn my car on to go buy this boost controller and what happend... 1 of my (im no mechanic) belts snaped causing it to rip the others apart. wahhh

bradc
03-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Which belts exactly? Power Steering or something? Hope it isn't the cam belt.

Ralli-Artist
03-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I dont think its the cam belt. Car still starts anyways. I reckon its the power steering belt as when i try to turn it makes a noise like ARRRRRRRRRR. thats the one :happy: . When its snapped it has massevely damaged the others... Are they important/do i have to replace them if need be...??

/Grrr /Grrr /Grrr

:bigcry: All i wanna do is feel the g's....

Xeroid
04-01-2007, 04:35 AM
They are ALL important .. water pump, alternator, air con, power sterring etc etc etc ..
About the only one you can do without is the air con, sorry Dude, get them fixed. Be happy it's not your Cam belt, THAT is expensive !!

On that note, do you know when cam belt was last done ? Because if other belts are letting go then maybe the Cam belt is not much better ... I'd get it checked out asap. Better a few belts than a whole engine ...

What k's on the car ?

I think boost mods are off the sched till you've sorted this, it would only aggravate any problems that might be lurking.

Ralli-Artist
05-01-2007, 05:49 AM
$43.61 from repco for both belts and now back on the road...

Its got 94000k's on the clock and cam belt hasnt been done yet so thats a job for before 100000 :scholar: .

BUT I found a wrx to race and now i have an idling (spelling?) problem. Sounds lumpy as. Didnt take it much over 6000rpm aswel. What do you reckon? Performance is fine, just dont like to idle.

Cheers.

mpau009
05-01-2007, 08:13 AM
BUT I found a wrx to race and now i have an idling (spelling?) problem. Sounds lumpy as. Didnt take it much over 6000rpm aswel. What do you reckon? Performance is fine, just dont like to idle.

Cheers.

Unstable idle is usually realted to some sort of air leak, the unmetered air doesn't go through the MAF and stuffs things up. Do a search and give the DIY fault codes test a go, that should shed some more light.

Subaru ETA
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
poss an air leak that is screwing you boost up aswell. it wont get full bost if it pissing the air out somewhere!

Ralli-Artist
06-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Cheers.

Going to head to Donnithorne Simms and hook it up to their computer thingy, well thats what i got told to do and its FREE!. Il let you know.

:iloveyou:

djb160
07-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Would that be a dyno? what the hell is a dyno (Im probably the most car tech illiterate out) I just bought the car coz my friend does aerobatics and a VR4 was the closest I could get in a wagon.

bradc
07-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Mitsi's computer thing is literally just a computer that tells you if there are any problems with the car.

A dyno is basically 2 sets of rollers that your car sits on and drives on to give you it's power output.

d i c k i e s
07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
how much usually is a dyno run/test?

djb160
08-01-2007, 12:51 AM
second that question. also where or who does it in Chch.

bradc
08-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Torque performance do it in Auckland for $85 for a 4wd dyno, can't help with any of you guys down south though :)

Ralli-Artist
08-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I heard Harman Motors on Columbo St have to only 4wd dyno in ChCh. Not sure on prices tho...

CANDEE
08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Im sure that NZEFI have a 4WD dyno(they were running VR4's on their dyno day in june? and RESinclair should have one as well.. :)

CANDEE
08-01-2007, 11:28 PM
how much usually is a dyno run/test?

Get hold of Speedtech - www.speedtechnz.com or 04 5866 384 or The Chequered Flag - 0-4-939 3636 .

d i c k i e s
09-01-2007, 11:09 PM
not that i want to at the moment. but will eventually. just to see how powerful it is?

thanks for the info.

Subaru ETA
18-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Cheers.

Going to head to Donnithorne Simms and hook it up to their computer thingy, well thats what i got told to do and its FREE!. Il let you know.

:iloveyou:

any news?

djb160
26-01-2007, 03:58 AM
The computer hook up turns out to be $45 and to get your turbo checked with a proper boost meter is just under $80 an hour