PDA

View Full Version : why does it sound like a diesel!!!!

richieelliott
20-11-2003, 11:12 AM
i noticed others had the same problem at pod when you fire the car up it sounds like a diesel mines started doing it whats the score?:Cry1:

BraindG
20-11-2003, 11:15 AM
the tippy tappy noise?

richieelliott
20-11-2003, 11:18 AM
thats the one belts maybe?

Nick VR4
20-11-2003, 12:56 PM
NO not belts

Its the Lash Adjusters INSERT INTO post VALUES (Hydraulic Tappets)

Same as all EVo's got this off the MLE site :D

Symptom:
A noticeable ‘ticking’ noise from the top of the engine. Usually appears when starting the engine from cold but can persist.

Problem and cure:
The noise is caused by air being trapped in the Lash Adjuster INSERT INTO post VALUES (Hydraulic Tappet). Normally the high-pressure chamber in the Lash Adjuster should contain oil but due to various reasons INSERT INTO post VALUES (listed below) the oil drains away leaving only air present. This causes the adjuster to become compressed. The compressed adjuster does not take up the clearance between the roller rocker and the cam lobe correctly when the valve is opening meaning a ‘ticking’ can be heard. It may take a short period for the air to be expelled after starting the engine so some ‘ticking’ noise is acceptable however, if the noise lasts for a long period or doesn’t go away at all then there maybe a problem.

Air can be trapped in the adjuster due to several reasons that are listed below:

Incorrect grade of oil used INSERT INTO post VALUES (too thin or thick).
Old oil INSERT INTO post VALUES (debris in the oil may block an adjuster).
If the car is stood for a long period or if it is stood on an incline INSERT INTO post VALUES (the oil will drain from the adjusters).
Over filling the engine with oil INSERT INTO post VALUES (if the oil level reaches the crank it may churn air into the oil that will migrate to the lash adjusters).
If the tappet noise does not disappear soon after start up INSERT INTO post VALUES (5-10 seconds) then try some mild racing of the engine. Gradually increase the engine speed to 3000rpm INSERT INTO post VALUES (over 30 seconds) and then gradually decrease it back to idle INSERT INTO post VALUES (again over 30 seconds). Repeat this roughly 10 times. If the tappet noise disappears then the air has been expelled from the Lash Adjusters and they are working normally again. It is worth checking your oil level and condition as that maybe the cause of the air entering the Lash Adjusters in the first place. Change your oil if in doubt. Make sure you use the correct grade of oil as going too thick or thin can make matters worse. Mitsubishi quote 10W30 as the correct grade of oil to use. If an oil change makes no difference then the adjusters are either blocked, worn INSERT INTO post VALUES (spring inside becomes weakened) or damaged and will require cleaning or possible replacement. Garages will normally replace them as it is more cost effective than cleaning and usually they will replace the whole set of 16. A competent home mechanic can clean or replace the Lash Adjusters. If in doubt consult your servicing agent.

richieelliott
20-11-2003, 02:00 PM
that sounds right i have benn using mobile one so maybe i should change oils it does go after running for a while any one hazard a guess at cost of replacing?

Nick VR4
20-11-2003, 02:12 PM
I read on the MLR forum that a garage quoted a guy £600 to replace them :eek:

Read this is explains how to clean them on a Evo

Cleaning Lash Adjusters (http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?threadid=18708&perpage=15&highlight=lash&pagenumber=1)

Gssplaya
22-11-2003, 01:17 PM
well the sound is just annoying thats all, its an illness common to all mitsus. Even mg 7g vr4 has the same problem, and so do my friends MIVEC lancer and EVOs. Its not worth replacing them coz i dont think it would ruin your engine.

What i do is that i take the upper heads of my engine apart and get the guts cleaned with diesel. You will be shcoked how much black tarry crud comes out of the tappets INSERT INTO post VALUES (more like squirts out actually) coz while submerged in diesel, you will have to use a paperclip to engage the lifter mechanism so that the dirt inside will squirt out.
after doing so, dry them to get the diesel out and bleed them in synthetic motor oil. :D

Viola quiet lifters....until the next 10000km :o

enigma
22-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Are you sure Mo or Barry hasn't cunningly stolen your engine while you were at work and replaced it with an oil burner?!!!

:D

richieelliott
22-11-2003, 05:48 PM
its sorted flushed it through AND ITS SWEET AS A NUT! and thats not a cue for you northern boys to get the noose out and start looking for monkeys!

Brind
22-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Took my car back to the dealer when I discovered mine doing it, was really pissed to say the least as when I test drove the car it was very quiet, they delivered the car by driving it down to me for 150miles and when I came to drive it, it sounded like it did! checked oil and it was pitch black and they claim it had only just been changed so I was bloody furious.

That's when.. discovered they all do it, although mine stopped for a while after it was returned.
On rare accasions I start it up, it sounds quite noisy.. so I switch off the engine and wait 10 seconds and re start it, the noise simply stops and doesn't return.
If you switch the engine on and let it rattle away in my opinion it will get worse so just switching it off and then back on again stops it, without fail may I add.

My car spends most of it's life parked not moving days on end, so that could be the reason why mine gets noisy at times, discovered I have a weird belt type noise but on inspection found it was the powersteering pully is rusty, simply burns off after a while.

SGHOM
22-11-2003, 09:33 PM
mine rattles like a bag of spanners ! :Cry1: I've tried several addatives, flushed the engine, all to no avail . looks like I either put up with it, or dig deep again. :Cry1:

zedy1
22-11-2003, 11:21 PM
when i put the new engine in my galant the noise wasnt there so i changed the oil and added forte top end trearment too never heard it tick yet :D

Kieran
23-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by interlec
mine rattles like a bag of spanners ! :Cry1: I've tried several addatives, flushed the engine, all to no avail . looks like I either put up with it, or dig deep again. :Cry1:

Has anyone:

1. Had the b**s to try that article from the MLR?
2. Rather than change the oil and throw in an additive, has anyone tried dedicated flushing oil INSERT INTO post VALUES (from millers or Castrol)... would this be safe in such a stressed engine?

:Ponder: