PDA

View Full Version : Which mobile phone and why ?

Spirit
29-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Right, it's upgrade time and for once I haven't got a clue what to get. Usually there is at least one or two phones that catch my eye.....but this time I am struggling.

I am on a contract, and will remain so. Not interested in such things as a mega decent camera, music etc - mainly something stylish, pocket size and well made.

My current phone is the Motorola V3i and have been pretty happy with it, but don't like the new Krazr.

Cheers for any help.

Lillywotsername
29-12-2006, 07:52 AM
My new phone should be coming this morning. I wanted something with an mp3 playing and a fairly decent camera, which my new phone meets the criteria for but the jury is still out on style.
Still if I don't like it I have 7 days to send it back.

Oh I am getting the sony ericsson w810i in white:pimp2:

Physician
29-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't think this will hijack your thread Pete - it may well give you additional ideas on what Mobile to chose.

I'm also looking for a new Mobile. I really don't understand what technology is available in respect of Internet access.

I want a Mobile that:

1] I can telephone people !!! :inquisiti

2] Is Bluetooth

3] I can surf the Internet (so a fairly large screen) send/receive emails etc.

Like Pete, I don't want cameras, music etc.

Is this possible?

thecustomer
29-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I don't think this will hijack your thread Pete - it may well give you additional ideas on what Mobile to chose.

I'm also looking for a new Mobile. I really don't understand what technology is available in respect of Internet access.

I want a Mobile that:

1] I can telephone people !!! :inquisiti

2] Is Bluetooth

3] I can surf the Internet (so a fairly large screen) send/receive emails etc.

Like Pete, I don't want cameras, music etc.

Is this possible?

SE M600i (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10385)

If you hack your way through all the teenage hype, you'll find it's a 3G phone for calling people, with bluetooth, Opera mini web browser, no camera.

Will
oh, and 007's girl uses a white one

/edit
the M600i runs Blackberry software, if you want it to - comes loaded on the phone, ready to trial

Spirit
29-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Rich

Take a look at the Blackberry Pearl : http://www.blackberrypearl.co.uk/

Wayne has just been recently upgraded to one at work, so he may be able to put some thoughts down when he comes on later

Brunty
29-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Spirit - have you looked at the SE z610 it's quite stylish, the z710i improves on a few of the features, both clamshell like the RAZR. I think Sharp also do a decent one which looks the part.

Physician - agree the M600i looks like it could be the job.

glynn
29-12-2006, 11:43 AM
If your not already on a contract why not have a look at www.three.co.uk they have some good deals on at the moment with half price rental for up to 18 months and with the latest phones.
i am with them and have a nokia 6280 which has everything that is listed above ie. bluetooth, video calling, internet access, msn messenger free for life and of course you can telephone people.
worth a look if nothing else.

Polabear
29-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I am in the same situation as Pete and Richard and and like Pete I also run a V3i and also hate the new KRZR...have been looking at these two as replacements....http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-d900.htm and also motorola's new......http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/motorola-rizr-z3.htm I know the D900 has been around a while now but still a superb phone, so any thoughts peoples..../help

Spirit
29-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Looked at the Z3 Sean and didn't go much on it tbh......the hunt continues.

Polabear
29-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Looked at the Z3 Sean and didn't go much on it tbh......the hunt continues.

Oh bummer.....:sad3: must admit not keeon on the look of the Blueberry, a bit too angular and chunky for me IMHO

Spirit
29-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Must admit the SE Z710i looks nice at first glance: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10466

Polabear
29-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Must admit the SE Z710i looks nice at first glance: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10466

yeah looked at that too mate, thought it looked quite chunky an a bit clumpy.. best looky in da flesh.. maybe we should do a phone recce day out..LoL

Spirit
29-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Might be an idea mate /lol

Had a look in CPW yesterday, but got :zzz: looking

BraindG
29-12-2006, 12:43 PM
how many times a year you upgrade Pete, it only seems like yesterday you upgraded.

Id not bother atm, I don't like any of the phones out there...

Spirit
29-12-2006, 12:54 PM
how many times a year you upgrade Pete, it only seems like yesterday you upgraded.

/haz......last time was end of Feb mate, but I guess they love me so much they have offered me another upgrade now.......guess the want to ensure they keep my business.

I do get bored with my toys though, so will continue looking. The VR4 is now the toy I have probably kept the longest in my life /lol

Funkstar
29-12-2006, 02:15 PM
I got a SonyEricsson W850i on contract about a month ago and am very pleased with it. Comes with a 1gb memory stick which holds a fair bit of music and pictures. The walkman equalizer thingy is pretty cool too. Also has a flash built in.

Didn't get it from this exact site, but will give you an idea:

http://www.mphone.co.uk/sonyericsson/w850i.html

glover
29-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I can highly reccomend the orange spv m3100. It does everything I need and loads more. Ive also got tom tom 6 loaded so its also a speed camera warning database and full satelite navigation.

linky here to a review. (http://www.modaco.com/Paul-Reviews-the-Orange-SPV-M3100-t243882.html)

you need a gps device to use sat nav tnough , mine cost around £50.00

I got the phone on contract for £30 a month and with that I get 10meg broadband for free. result.

Physician
29-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the links to M600i and Blackberry guys ....... am checking them out.

KiwiTT
29-12-2006, 10:04 PM
I would stick with a top of the range Nokia. The higher the number generally the higher the specs/quality.

Just decide whether you want a flip or non flip style. (check out http://www.nokia.co.uk/ )

What I most like about Nokia is their easy to use menu's.

I have a Nokia 6235 (https://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/shop/front/0,,204449-201928,00.html?productCode=NOK6235&action=/mshop_handsetGallery)

I-S
29-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I have a Motorola SLVR L7 Red. I have a few issues with it (very poor aerial, easy to cover the microphone accidentally. Generally the interface is not quite as intuitive as nokias, and the battery life isn't great.

psbarham
30-12-2006, 10:23 AM
What I most like about Nokia is their easy to use menu's.

would that be the menu style that they pinched off panasonic ? my first panasonic had that style menu about 5 yrs before any cockia . 5 panasonics later and i would still recomend them , easy to use with only the features you need , my currant one uses the symbian O/S and the extras it has is stunning :pimp2:

KiwiTT
31-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Actually I think the menu was started some 10 years ago. I had a Nokia 2110 (1996) then a 5110 and 5120 (1998) and got my wife a 8310 (2001), which uses a similar menu system. Even my own 6235 (2005) is easy to use.

See Nokia Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nokia_products)

bernmc
31-12-2006, 10:03 AM
In the market for a new phone myself, and just as confused. Had a wander around town yesterday (ugh!). Had a look at the BB Perl - quite nice. Fairly compact. Odd keypad, and I'm not sure about needing all the BB features.

SE M600i is very new, and it's had variable reviews. Some not impressed with the menu system. Only physical example I could find was a t-mobile version. Their's is dark grey rather than the usual black or white. Looked very cheap and plasticy - quite a disappointment!

So I'm still looking... :(

thecustomer
31-12-2006, 11:12 AM
SE M600i is very new, and it's had variable reviews. Some not impressed with the menu system. Only physical example I could find was a t-mobile version. Their's is dark grey rather than the usual black or white. Looked very cheap and plasticy - quite a disappointment!
(

Hi Bern - I've had an SE M600i for 6 months - I saw the mixed reviews too - & the upshot is that there's about 3 ways of doing anything on the phone. Which gives reviewers a chance to grumble about being over-complex.
Of course, you find the one you're comfortable with, and forget the rest.

I've seen reviewer grumbles about searching for contacts - in real life it's one click to get into the contacts book, and a couple of characters from the name of the person you're looking for. And a click to call them.

If you call them regularly, then they'll be on the recent call list (a click on the main screen) or a key or voice shortcut.

The only complaint I've got with it now is that there's no quick/one-click way to turn on the loudspeaker.

If the TMobile grey one feels cheap, then that's something in their mix: my black SE edition feels solid.

There's a trade-off on the big screen size - you lose battery life, but can go online and read sites in graphic form.

What I think anybody would find is that switching to an SE from another manufacturer takes a little getting used to.

hth

Will

bernmc
31-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Ta Will - I'd almost decided on the M600i before seeing the t-mobile flavour. MAy have a rethink now :)

Anyone know when in 'Q1 2007' the nokia N95 will be out?

Spirit
23-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Decision made eventually, and an order placed for a Blackberry Pearl 8100.

Stayed with O2 tariff and unlimited email data option

Should be here within the week hopefully.

Polabear
23-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Ta Will - I'd almost decided on the M600i before seeing the t-mobile flavour. MAy have a rethink now :)

Anyone know when in 'Q1 2007' the nokia N95 will be out?

have been looking at that one myself and have been told the earliest it is expected is around September......but online carphone warehouse are taking advance interest orders for release in March....cracking phone tho......:thumbsup:

mattpage
23-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Has anyone got a Nokia N73?
I've upgraded to one, and hoping its going to be as good as the SE K750i I have at the moment.

Must admit the N95 looks great.. if only it was out now! :)

Roadrunner
24-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Decision made eventually, and an order placed for a Blackberry Pearl 8100.
Good choice! /yes

Little Miss Road Rage
24-01-2007, 12:37 PM
i've had SE/E phones for 10 years and have found them very good

timiano
24-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Got a T-Mobile MDA Vario II

Too big for some people, but for a full PDA phone with slidy keyboard its acceptable size and weight. The fact that its constantly connected data for email using Exchange ActiveSync is the best bit about it. I can use it as a virtual modem for my laptop over USB or Bluetooth too.

Pop it in the car and it Bluetooths the SAR3 GPS unit and I have a full TomTom satnav solution. It does much much more, and I don't know how I ever lived without it.

Spirit
26-01-2007, 09:06 AM
CPW rang me yesterday to say the phone will be with me today..........let's wait and see, but it won't suprise me if they cock it up again....../pan

bernmc
26-01-2007, 11:22 AM
CPW rang me yesterday to say the phone will be with me today..........let's wait and see, but it won't suprise me if they cock it up again....../pan

Good choice... I don't think you'll be disappointed with the phone.

BraindG
26-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Just dont change your number this time! :D /pan

Polabear
26-01-2007, 12:14 PM

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh......to late he's been an gone an done it......./duh /duh /duh

BraindG
26-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh......to late he's been an gone an done it......./duh /duh /duh
:D hence the post

White Lightning
26-01-2007, 04:05 PM

Isn't that the 4th time in the last 4 years .... /pan

Spirit
26-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Isn't that the 4th time in the last 4 years .... /pan

Yep.....I always end up with people who have my number that I later decide I don't want them to have......if you know what I mean :evilgrin:

Spirit
28-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Just an update....

Loving the phone......especially the email side of it. Only real niggle so far is the external speaker is not great, and the ring volumes seem quite quiet.

Bern.....found this site: www.blackberryforums.com - good for help, advice etc...already sorted two issues I had from here.

How long do your pushed emails take to come through......mine seem to vary from almost instantly to several hours later ?

Also, bloody tight wads don't supply a case /Grrr ....so just ordered a Krussel case for it - £13.90 inc P+P

Edit: Just had an email......PM sent to me on here at 5.38pm, and received email 6.15pm - wonder if it's Tiscali or the BB part of it that slows it down ?

bernmc
29-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I've had some variable results with emails too, so it might be the blackberry service itself...

You can alter the volume of the tones through profiles-->advanced-->{profil}-->phone--->volume (make sure the alert is set to 'tone' and not mute.

Lovely sneaky little feature in address book - if you have an extension to dial, put an 'x' after the phone number, and then the extension. The phone will dial the ext automatically after a preset pause! Works perfectly when I need to get hold of my sec, particularly with voice dialing.

Spirit
29-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, sussed out the max volume Bern, but still too quiet for me.........one guy on the above forum has even drilled holes in his case to make it louder !

White Lightning
29-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, sussed out the max volume Bern, but still too quiet for me.........one guy on the above forum has even drilled holes in his case to make it louder !

Have you tried cleaning your ears out ? /haz

Eh ? What's that you say ? Can't hear you ... /pan

Spirit
29-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Pardon......what ?

/lol