PDA

View Full Version : GTO Turbo Info

B16REE
31-12-2006, 12:16 AM
I knw this has probably been discussed, if so can someone post up the links of the threads because i couldnt find it, basically i want to know how much boost can the engine handle with the OEM turbos and with the slightly bigger GTO turbos.
Thanks

Wodjno
31-12-2006, 12:42 AM
I knw this has probably been discussed, if so can someone post up the links of the threads because i couldnt find it, basically i want to know how much boost can the engine handle with the OEM turbos and with the slightly bigger GTO turbos.
Thanks

Try Harder !!!

I just typed Boost into Search and the 1 st Thread it brought up was this 1.. And the 2nd will give you 80% of the info you require :scholar:

B16REE
31-12-2006, 02:41 PM
ok, i must be getting lazy these days

Eurospec
02-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Stop it Ree!!

A nice pair of TD04 15G's would go a long way on one of these engines i think.

Bit of modification to the fire wall to get them into yours though i think!:happy:

Cheers,

Ben.

B16REE
02-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I better get the angle grinder out!

Eurospec
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM
In all honesty we joke about it but i dunno how much work is required to the bulkhead to get them in on the FTO.

What i do know is it will be more than the phisical clearance needed for fitment. You would be surprised just how much the engine will move on a car when it is launched.

Galants and FTO's both have the same type of rubber engine mounts. I wouldnt say they are solid, but if they are in good condition they arent floppy either. Now a GTo has the same general type of mounts, just bigger. On mine i put in solid polyurethane mounts. They are TIGHT and there is zero movement in the engine, however, on a hard launch, the inlet pipe will knock the top off the clutch master cylinder! At idle there is a 2" or so gap!!

The last thing you want to do is crack your turbo off the bulkhead!

Cheers,

Ben.

bradc
02-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Interesting, so you would suggest at least 2-3" around the top of the engine and turbos then. Thats something I had never thought about at all!

Eurospec
03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
If you are into drag launches yes.

I was really surprised just how much movement was present. A friend of mine pointed it out to me and i was really shocked.

When we put the engine it it was a bugger as there was/is NO give in the mounts. Normally the rubber has an abount of give in it and even if the engine isnt perfectly aligned you can get thee bolts through the mounts. On the GTO with the solid poly mounts it took us hours of levering, hoisting and pulling to get it smack on so we could get the bolts in. When the engine was in the bay there was and still is NO movement in it. You need a big lever bar braced off the chassis to get anny discernable movement at all.

On drag launches though, yep the rear of the intake tube smacks the lid off the clutch master cylinder! It will do it every time on a hard launch so i now have to tape the cap on!!

Ree, who is a big drag strip fan, is talking about dropping a galant turbo engine into his FTO as Richard B did, and my worry would be how tight the rear tub is to the bulkhead, especially with TD04's.

To figure it out would be simple enough- just remove the lower crossmember that supports the lower 2 engine mounts and let the engine rock forward and backwards by hand on the drivers side mount and gearbox mount. That will show you the arc that the engine will travel on a launch and at least let you figure out what might smack into what. With the galant motor in the FTO bay, the rear turbo must be very close to the bulkhead.

Cheers,

Ben.

bradc
03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
It would be, thats why Zentac (Richard) just went with a single.

valmes
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
EVOLUTION... :afro:

Stock turbo, 13T, Precision T-67 :)

Funkstar
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow. Our's are tiny in comparisson aren't they. :speechles

Kieran
06-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Hmm - I like the paint job on the red and black one - Looks very mean!:afro:

valmes
06-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Hmm - I like the paint job on the red and black one - Looks very mean!:afro:

Thats M6 killer :) .... he is going for twin 13Ts... ;)

Kieran
06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Thats M6 killer :) .... he is going for twin 13Ts... ;)

Argh! all this talk of big turbos! Must Resist! Must Resist! /help

Nick! When are you changing yours again?! :inquisiti

Nick Mann
06-01-2007, 06:23 PM
I said this year. But I haven't got the money to buy the clutch for the manual conversion yet!!

bradc
06-01-2007, 06:26 PM
And here was me thinking that Valmes was implying a 6A13TT with twin T-67's, ahh well 13T's will do fine. They get a GTO over the quarter in 11s, so 13T's should go well in our cars :D

Kieran
06-01-2007, 07:22 PM
I said this year. But I haven't got the money to buy the clutch for the manual conversion yet!!

Bleh! Here, come sit next to me in the 'lots of plans, not lots of cash' club!!/help :embarasse

Axeboy
06-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Would the Gearbox and Drivetrain not need quite heavy upgrading if we push out more than 400/500bhp?

bradc
07-01-2007, 12:39 AM
If you drive normally most of the time then you should be fine. I imagine things like the internal engine components and clutch will be the first things that need to be upgraded

Axeboy
07-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Yeah, maybe without full launches etc it might take the abuse

valmes
07-01-2007, 11:55 AM
And here was me thinking that Valmes was implying a 6A13TT with twin T-67's, ahh well 13T's will do fine. They get a GTO over the quarter in 11s, so 13T's should go well in our cars :D

That black car is going for twin 13ts... (mine already has them) while that white car IS going for twin PT-67 :) ... we've got a separate engine to build and plans for a dogbox... so twin PT-67s should be fun on a dragstrip.

Just a side note... that black car with 0,8 bars looses about 50 meters on 400 m run to my badly tunned legnum running just stock 0,6 bars of boost, but it can outrun BMW M6 on 1 bar ;)... so I guess 13ts match our car pretty well and it will stay as my everyday engine+turbo combo. Twin PT67+built engine+dogbox will be a drag racing project... :)

Nick Mann
07-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Hmm..... valmes - have you upgraded the internals? What's your opinion of the max power our engines can take as standard?

With regard to drivetrain, the manual gearbox should be okay for quite a bit of power. It is fundamentally an evo box, and there are evos out there running 600 plus bhp with a fundamentally standard box. I think evo owners ditch ayc at around 400 because it becomes unreliable though.

Axeboy
07-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Evo boxes seem to go at around 400 as stock. Over on MLR the main members recon maybe up to 450bhp before it needs "shot peened"

Whatever that is :)

stuartturbo
07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Shot peen is basical firing small balls of shot at the component takes of burrs and work hardens the surface
This puts the under compression so that a crack cannot start from the surface being under tension ( all this is a atomic structure almost). A failure start from a crack that increases quickly which is easier in the materials machined state as the surface is under tension.

valmes
07-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Hmm..... valmes - have you upgraded the internals? What's your opinion of the max power our engines can take as standard?

I didn't say I was going to do it with the stock engine... have couple of options. Although it will still be 6a13.

I think standard engine can be ok up to 500bhp (will see anyway...) and with upgraded internals might even push the block to 700 bhp... Anyway that's just guessing, time will tell.

Kieran
07-01-2007, 05:33 PM
All sounds very interesting Val - Keep us updated!

Eurospec
08-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah, i think those big puppies will need stronger internals, but you would probably be okay with 13T's, although they will give the capability to push 500 brake, which must be close to the limit.

If you are dragging, then i would think drive train is going to be the issue.

Specifically gearbox input shaft (which is aprox the same sixe as the xfr box output shaft on a GTO, which i snapped many of at around the 500bhp level) and the clutch.

When i am talking about this im really meaning if you drag it. You need a lot of clutch to withstand 500 brake being launched, but in normal driving it isnt going to see that really nasty hi torque dump that really shreds them.

I used to have 15g's on my car which are a very similar turbo to 13T's but possibly flow a little more higher up the rpm band and i killed a dual friction, a OS Giken twin plate (although i think they may have supplied the wrong plates) and an RPS max. The RPS max lasted a year before it died though.

Cheers,

Ben.