PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox strip down

stevec205gti
31-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Well, the gearbox is out and finally coming to bits. The input shaft bearing has pretty much disappeared - the balls are left in the housing, whilst the race itself was mainly attached to the little magnet at the bottom of the box. As you can imagine, the shaft had a fair amount of play in it!

I have a question for people who have changed this bearing before - where did you go from here:-

Also, a shot of the bearing:-

tig202
31-12-2006, 06:32 PM
From the looks of things bro take the roll pins out of the gear selector forks and the gear selector rods sould come out, take away the selector forks and then the rest should fall apart.

wrdmotorsport
31-12-2006, 08:50 PM
you can do it the way steve said above but you can also remove both shafts and gear selectors at the same time.just put the shafts on a table and give the input shaft a few taps and it will all come out.

but there is a lot more you need to know so you can phone me on 07779603035.

you will have to replace all bearings and the tapper bearing on the dif needs pre loading.

BraindG
31-12-2006, 10:55 PM
ive attached the images for you.

Exbury
01-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Ok, as has been mentioned before, you can take both shafts and the selectors out as one, I would keep further dismantling to a minimum.

The bearing that is breaking up is exactly the same as my one which broke up, so I have just done this as has Rich. As mentioned a few light taps and the damaged bearing should release and its not a pressured fit. Note that it is also held in by a metal plate and some bolts.

Once everything has been pulled out of the bellhousing, I laid the spare shaft and selector forks to one side, turned the shaft and bearing upside down resting on hard wood with the bearing facing downswards, took a cold chisel and lump hammer, and carefully put the chisel between the splines on the bearing surface (note you have very little room here, you chisel must be the right size and you need patience). Hit once (hard), move a spline along and hit once more and continued to do so until the bearing starts to move and eventually come off. (Do NOT try to lever it off, its a very tight fit and you will chip teeth).

Mitsi (Ware Garage) do the replacement bearing for around £45 (10 day delivery) , I also bought the circular cover plate and a spare input shaft seal and replaced these as well. I did find that all the other bearings seemed to have no play, so left these as they were.

To replace the bearing on the shaft I had some spare sections of 3mm thick metal and using a 2Tonne (higher pressure may be better, as I struggled getting it on even with this) bottle jack fashioned up a press, you may need to take the bearing to a garage depending upon your facilities.

Refit is pretty much the same as removal, I used hylomar gasket supposed to be designed for gearboxes, cleaned up any old gunk I could find, cleaned up the crud-coated magnets and replaced, relubricated all bearings before fitting and put the box back together.

If you need any more info PM me and I will pass my number on.

However after refitting everything, I now have a major problem with trying to bleed the clutch system!!! /help Will list this as another topic and hopefully get some help myself.