PDA

View Full Version : Efficiency

enigma
20-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Took my wifes car up to Blackpool this week on business as she is away in London........Its a 99 Fiat Punto and I only took it because it does 50mpg and I had to come home via York INSERT INTO post VALUES (yes I know its a bit of a diversion but I had to get some Calor Gas bottles to use as fuel tanks for the Skoda......but thats another story!) All in all it was a 380 mile round trip........cost me about £30 in fuel, what an efficient way to travel, well it would have been if the exhaust hadn't fallen off on the way home! Somehow its my fault and I can see myself paying to have it fixed.:Cry1:

Should have took the VR4!!! ;)

Kieran
20-11-2003, 10:13 PM
I must say that Fiat build an efficient engine. OK, some jap/euro models of an equivalent cc CLAIM to be more efficient, but the FIRE engine in the Cinq Sporting I had returned a steady 42-45mpg, whether it was cruising on the M1 INSERT INTO post VALUES (well, I say cruising, what I actually mean is not screaming as loudly as usual:D) or being caned around town - It just sipped petrol no matter how much I ragged it!...

Shame everything else kept falling off the little sod:D:D

enigma
20-11-2003, 10:17 PM
When I wasn't in traffic I was driving moderately fast..........I always seem to drive the fiat faster than the VR4 for some reason! I know what you mean about bits falling off though.......a couple of winters ago the drivers door froze shut and when I tried to open it the handle just came off in my hand! Cant grumble though as purchase prices are low, parts are reasonable and running costs are near zero compared to the VR4! The really good thing is you dont ever have to take your foot off the floor as its not powerful enough to get you in serious bother!!! hehehehehehehehehe!

I really quite like it! :D

dcuk
20-11-2003, 10:26 PM
Some people say that diesel engines are efficient... well, I have a Grand Cherokee 2.7 diesel, and the mpg is only about 24. The average speed is about 50 with lots of roundabouts; no matter how easy and careful I drive the mpg return is poor:INSERT INTO post VALUES ( . They say the Common Rail Diesel engine is more efficient than the previous Turbodiesel! Well I guess it is pretty tough trying to drag 2 tonnes of metal!

Brind
20-11-2003, 10:52 PM
I had alot of contact with a 1.9TDI Passat with the latest pumped diesel engine and I must say I loved it!! fuel economy was excellent and you could see how well you was using the fuel with the LCD economy computer majiggy.
Pulled in every gear at low revs but you had to watch the revs as the power ran out at just over 4000rpm.
Hired one in Germany aswell a couple of years back and traveled miles and miles and flat out too and it cruised a treat!!! must have done about 500miles?? and returned back to the rental place and had to fill it up from a 1/4 of a tank. :)

I'd never knock a diesel engine apart from the noise and the ****ty ones they have in buses.

the_boy
20-11-2003, 10:57 PM
Best diesels are made by VAG in my opinion which is possibly reflected in their stingy depreciation value.

The Golf GT TDI 150 bhp is a monster. Have heard a lot of stories about people giving them the Jabba treatment INSERT INTO post VALUES (ECU remap) which provides sporting behaviour with the added extra of good MPG.

Pretty much bombproof aswell.

dcuk
20-11-2003, 11:03 PM
oh yes maybe the insulation is poor but that engine sounded like a 40ton lorry:nono: ... how long does it take for diesel engines to run in properly? 24mpg really is poor for any diesel engines!

enigma
20-11-2003, 11:25 PM
The Punto is petrol though!!!!! 50mpg on the hard stuff! Its awesome!

Brind
20-11-2003, 11:30 PM
The petrol turbo 1.8 with more bhp on the Passat is absolutely ****e!!!! compared to the diesel 1.9.
The 1.8i turbo had a crap heater, general performance was no comparison, took longer to heat up, sounded noiser!
Both virtually brand new at the time.

zedy1
20-11-2003, 11:52 PM
i had a renault 19rttd and i used to fill it up for 35 quid and get over 400 miles and it was pretty nippy too :D

Spirit
21-11-2003, 08:14 AM
I have the 2.0 TD Zetec Mondeo as a company car and despite being a bit noisey I am quite impressed with the torque at lower/mid range and it does return 40-50mpg. I also had a Peugeot 406 Diesel hire car once to go to Nottingham and back and did 600 miles and still had 1/4 of a tank left !

Kieran
21-11-2003, 08:19 AM
The L-Series diesel in the Rover 25 I briefly owned was crude and not that efficient, returning about 42mpg against a claimed 53. Being based on the O-series petrol and the Perkins Prima engine meant that the technology wasn't new, and being a direct injection diesel INSERT INTO post VALUES (Rover were doing it before the germans were!) with no combustion control meant it was one of the noisiest diesels i've ever known.

But the 177lbs/ft of torque at 2500rpm was very impressive for a 'first-generation' diesel - it could outrun the 100/110/115 VW diesels quite easily!

colVR4
21-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Take a look at this...

New 6 Cylinder Diesel Engine Specification

Current 3.0-litre diesel New 3.0-litre diesel
Displacement INSERT INTO post VALUES (cc) 2903 2998
Engine weight INSERT INTO post VALUES (kg) 222 214
Power INSERT INTO post VALUES (bhp) 184 204
Torque INSERT INTO post VALUES (Nm) 390 410
0 – 62 INSERT INTO post VALUES (mph) 7.8 INSERT INTO post VALUES (8.2 auto) 7.2 INSERT INTO post VALUES (7.4 auto)
Top speed INSERT INTO post VALUES (mph) 141 INSERT INTO post VALUES (141) 149 INSERT INTO post VALUES (146)
Fuel consumption INSERT INTO post VALUES (mpg) 42.2 INSERT INTO post VALUES (35.3) 43.5 INSERT INTO post VALUES (36.7)
Manual transmission 5 speed 6 speed
Auto transmission 5 speed 5 speed

Yes I KNOW its a BMW, but not bad mpg for a reasonably quick car don't you think?

Roadrunner
21-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Diesel :rolleyes: :uhoh: /spit :p

Kieran
21-11-2003, 12:47 PM
:DTrue - I can't get on with how they drive...

Bloody disease-els!!

enigma
21-11-2003, 01:56 PM
The performance of the Phaeton V10 TDI is at the level of a thoroughbred sports car. For example, the saloon accelerates in only 6.9 seconds to 100 kph. At 250 kph top speed, the electronics regulate the V10 TDI gently and unnoticeably. Here, the Phaeton V10 TDI stands out with a low average consumption, an average of 11.4 litres for 100 kilometres.
Behind the remarkable consumption figures and performance is an engine that is regarded by experts as a masterpiece of diesel engine design. This engine was presented for the first time in the luxury class off-road vehicle Touareg. The main features of this new generation of diesel engines: maximum dynamism and maximum comfort with minimum consumption.

dcuk
21-11-2003, 02:38 PM
What brand? Is it VW?

enigma
21-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Yep, VW it is! Pretty awesome for an oil burner! But 25mpg is kak! you may as well get a proper car! :D

Roadrunner
21-11-2003, 04:48 PM
bigdave,

posted by bigdaveakers
The performance of the Phaeton V10 TDI is at the level of a thoroughbred sports car ...
LOL :p You actually believe this? :rolleyes: ;) :biglaugh:

enigma
21-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Certainly dont, but its quick for an executive chugaboom!

Kieran
21-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by H.7
LOL :p You actually believe this? :rolleyes: ;) :biglaugh:

I think that's a bit unfair - a 6.9 sec 0-60 is good whatever car you drive, and the midrange heave-ho must be colossal! I bet 30-50 & 50-70 would worry a VR-4!!

That said, I doubt it could match the all-round drivability of a petrol engined car - and this is priceless. I hate having to 'drive around' an engine!!

Roadrunner
21-11-2003, 09:55 PM
... which is exactly what I was getting at. They're comparing their lardy-assed oil burner to a thoroughbred sports car! That's like comparing me to Linford Christie! :p Breach of the Trade Descriptions Act, I think :D

Big Ian
21-11-2003, 10:36 PM
my old man buy's a new punto every year when he was on a 3 week holiday i had the use of his "breif" i'd only done about 180-200 miles in it an when my dad collected his "machine" he saidINSERT INTO post VALUES (lookin at the dash)" i better give this a good run as i see you have not used it"

:eek: TALK ABOUT RUNNIN ON FRESH AIR:eek: I WISH I USED ONLY DOUBLE THAT IN MY MITSI:mad: