PDA

View Full Version : First fortnight with a VR-4

Throbbe
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, after an initial slight sense of disappointment, I've now fallen in love. It's fast in a different way to a lightweight tuned fwd car, and I just needed to get used to it.

We drove from Cambridgeshire to Cornwall for a short break over xmas, and as a long distance cruiser it's fantastic. I even got suprisingly good mpg figures by sticking to 70-ish. Mrs Throbbe has even come round to allowing me to keep it having done most of the drive down herself. She wouldn't even get in the Scirocco as a passenger!

The brakes seem to be the weak point. Not necessarily bad, but not confidence inspiring. I'm desperately trying to avoid the temptation of the Brembo conversion, which since new wheels would be required is going to be too costly. There's only about 3mm left on the pads, and pending a loan/purchase of a micrometer it may need new disks too, so a suitable upgrade is on the cards.

So, other niggles so far:

Child seat. Had another more violent attempt at fitting (with my 100kg balancing on the seat!) and worked out the ratchet lock so it's all secure.

The bloody ticking! Seems to be fairly standard anyway. I've got an order from Don on the way, so I'll see what happens with an oil change.

Transmission noise. Louder than I expected, although my 4wd experience is limited to Land Rovers, and it's not that bad! Fluid seems pretty clean, so I'll leave a full flush until the next 9000 mile service, but hopefully the 4500 bits this weekend will help.

Power steering leak. Haven't been able to trace it yet, but will have a proper look when the car's up in the air as the hoses/connections look fine from the top. Just topping up at the moment as necessary.

Possible accident damage? There's a slight colour mismatch on the rear hatch. Paint looks original rather than respray, but could have been replaced from another car. Had a look behind the rear bumper, and if it has been repaired it's been done very well, as I can't see any obvious welding/filler. There is some light paint cracking on the rear bumper, which might indicate excessive flexing, or just not enough plasticiser in the original paint.

Needs a damn good clean! Being a bit of a cleaning obsessive I'm more picky than most. Once the weather inproves I'll break out the polisher and give it a good seeing to.

The alloys have probably never been cleaned apart from the faces! Very thick layer of baked on brake dust and misc. rubbish. Megiuars Wheel Brightener made some inroads, but it can wait for warmer weather. It least I know there is some silver under all the black! There's a fair bit of kerbing too, so a refurb may happen at a future date (must not buy new wheels, must not buy new wheels, etc).

Half arsed attempt at painting the brake calipers is annoying me out of all proportion too. Currently, just the bits facing the outside world are done. Needs new pads soon, so I'll probably do the job properly then.

Lack of space. That's a seriously crowded engine bay! Now I can see why dealer services cost so much. :thinking: I must remember to order some patience with my next Amsoil purchase.

Oooops! That's a bit of a long list, but really it's not that bad. :scholar:

I was a little suprised to find what appear to be damping adjusters. Is the stock setup adjustable, or am I looking at aftermarket? Doesn't appear to have been lowered, which I'd normally expect to see hand in hand with top adjustable jobbies.

Throbbe
02-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh, and to add another positive, the Philips CARiN system works, although the out of date CD got a bit confused. I still think knowing how to read a map is a better bet /pan but it's nice to know it got us home by a sensible route with me being bloody minded and following directions to the letter.

richy rich
02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
glad you are injoying the car.

1st the suspention sounds like the rally art ajustables an option on these cars.

2nd are you going to be as obsesive a cleaner as Keiren /help

BraindG
02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Needs a damn good clean! Being a bit of a cleaning obsessive I'm more picky than most. Once the weather inproves I'll break out the polisher and give it a good seeing to.
You and Kieran will get on just fine! :happy:

Yeah, the Brakes are known to be the weak point, and this has been mentioned in buyers guide, and of course here on the forums. There are cheap options out there for upgrades which dont involve brembos, and improve the braking tenfold.

Throbbe
02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
You and Kieran will get on just fine! :happy:

Yeah, the Brakes are known to be the weak point, and this has been mentioned in buyers guide, and of course here on the forums. There are cheap options out there for upgrades which dont involve brembos, and improve the braking tenfold.

Been abusing the search this morning and come to much the same conclusion about brakes. It's just the Brembos look so nice ... :afro:

Will have to compare notes with Kieran, but probably off forum as we'll just bore the rest of you! :evilgrin:

Nick Mann
02-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I can't remember if your car is a facelift or not? If so, the brembo upgrade is more easily justifiable. Over a year ago I bought an Evo 7 job lot - refurbed alloys with new rubber, plus four calipers with nearly new discs and pads. All in it cost me £900. A wanted ad on the MLR should give you options.

The rear of the car often does look slightly different in colour. I guess I can't comment on whether your colour difference is normal or not without seeing it.

Glad you are getting used to the car! Hope you carry on enjoying it....

wrdmotorsport
02-01-2007, 02:20 PM
as nick says the plastic of the bumpers always looks dif to body work ie 1 plastic the other metal

Throbbe
02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I can't remember if your car is a facelift or not? If so, the brembo upgrade is more easily justifiable. Over a year ago I bought an Evo 7 job lot - refurbed alloys with new rubber, plus four calipers with nearly new discs and pads. All in it cost me £900. A wanted ad on the MLR should give you options.

Yep, it's a facelift. Must get some pics and details in my profile.

As you say, if it needs new disks as well as pads the only real cost difference is the calipers and wheels. Taking into account a refurb on the existing wheels brings it even closer. Even so, I can't really see Mrs Throbbe signing the 'permit to spend money' form so soon after buying the car.

Nutter_John
02-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I got my Brembos with disks and pads for 350 ( only 8 miles on them ) and my evo 7 wheels + 8mm toyo proxies cost 350

so for 700 I got the full lot and it makes a HUGE difference

Glad to see your enjoying the car

pitslayer
03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Oh, and to add another positive, the Philips CARiN system works, although the out of date CD got a bit confused. I still think knowing how to read a map is a better bet /pan but it's nice to know it got us home by a sensible route with me being bloody minded and following directions to the letter.
you on about the phillips tape/cd changer piece of crap that comes with the car?
if i was you wouldnt bother with it, if its like mine it wont work if its cold

mattpage
03-01-2007, 12:33 PM
I've only had my VR4 a few days now, but experience is very similar to yours.
Its completly different to the Almera GTi I had before, sometimes it doesnt feel as quick, but thats because the Almera was more raw, and harsher, where as the VR4 is smooth and comfortable.
I can't throw the VR4 into a corner like you could the Almera, but I'm sure the VR4 is the quickest through the bends, or at least it will be when I'm used to it.

Brunty
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Glad you're enjoying thr car.

I was able to get an compatible UK disk (2005 I think) off ebay for about £25 a while back. It's not perfect but it's certainly better than the 1960's road map that the original CD was trying to work from!

Throbbe
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Glad you're enjoying thr car.

I was able to get an compatible UK disk (2005 I think) off ebay for about £25 a while back. It's not perfect but it's certainly better than the 1960's road map that the original CD was trying to work from!

Found a 2006 for £30 iirc. Mrs Throbbe has been informed as it's my birthday on Saturday. :happy:

KiwiTT
04-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Before upgrading your brakes, it may pay to read this (http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/pdf/brake_upgrade.pdf)

Check the shocks, and you may have ralliart on them. If so, more than likely you have the option.

Axeboy
04-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Tein shocks were a JDM factory option too...

Kieran
05-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Tein shocks were a JDM factory option too...

Eh? Were they?:speechles

Axeboy
05-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I was told they were when I first joined the club...

Cant find it that far back, but they (read one of the main members) stated that they were a rare factory option.

Maybe they were telling me fibs!

-ve reputation here you come! Grr

:)

bradc
05-01-2007, 01:03 AM
It may be that lots of Japanese fitted them to their VR-4's, so we assume they are a factory option because we see so many with Teins.

Throbbe
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Before upgrading your brakes, it may pay to read this (http://www.racebrakes.co.nz/pdf/brake_upgrade.pdf)

Good link, thanks. Did quite a bit of research with my last car (anyone that's driven a rhd A1 chassis VW hard will understand!) so I'm not a total novice, but you're never too old to learn something new.

I must confess, the Brembos would be as much for cosmetic reasons as performance. 2 weeks in a jap car and I've gone all 'Fast & Fatuous' :embarasse Of course, then I could go for proper pads for the larger setup. :evilgrin:

I can almost justify it economically too if the current disks are needing replacement as I was planning a refurb of the current wheels, so a new (second hand) set of 17's wouldn't be such a huge expense in comparison.

I should really start a new thread for this, but just to confirm. Front calipers from Evo 5-9 and rears from 5-6 are the ones I'm after?

BraindG
05-01-2007, 12:23 PM
It may be that lots of Japanese fitted them to their VR-4's, so we assume they are a factory option because we see so many with Teins.
dont think teins were ever factory fitted, the ralliart ones were though.

Nick Mann
05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
I should really start a new thread for this, but just to confirm. Front calipers from Evo 5-9 and rears from 5-6 are the ones I'm after?

AFAIK all evo brembos (front and rear) will bolt directly on to a facelift (post '98) VR4. You will have to remove dust covers and change discs and pads too though.

bradc
05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
The dust covers on the rear are the problem, and you can actually cut them away a little bit, rather than completely removing them. All Evo 5-9 calipers are the same.