PDA

View Full Version : Manual Idling Adjustments

mickohr
02-01-2007, 11:14 PM
I'd like some help on manually adjusting the idling on my galant. I've just recently bought a 1999 mitsubishi galant exceed (tiptronic). It runs smoothly and sweet. I just noticed that whenever I stop at intersections or almost anywhere, my idling goes up (revs high a bit). So whenever I step on the brakes and place the gear on Neutral, my rpm goes as high as 2000 on the tach. I get annoyed and thinking that I'm getting a lot of unburned gas just by stopping at intersections. Idling is too high also, it shifts gears from 1st to 2nd without me stepping on the gas. When I start my car the normal idling is at 800 on the tach. This only happens when I put the gear on neutral after stopping. Hope someone could help with some pics too on the idling adjustments.

Cheers!

psbarham
02-01-2007, 11:28 PM
sounds like the stepper motor is stuck , somewhere on here there is a guide to stripping and cleaning it , search is your friend

BraindG
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Yeah, cleaning might resolve things, also have a look and see if the cable is to tight. Undo the two 10mm bolts that hold the cable on and see if the vavle moves, if not then tighten the cable so that it is tight, but not moving the valve. Then tighten it up again,

oh, and /Welcome /Wyhy

mickohr
03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
thanks for the replies guys. would you have any pics on which one exactly to adjust and clean?

I-S
04-01-2007, 12:18 PM
It is unecessary (and in fact hastens wear on the gearbox) to put it in N every time you're at a junction. Leave it in D and put the handbrake on.

Paul Beazer
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
thanks for the replies guys. would you have any pics on which one exactly to adjust and clean?
Is yours a V6? If so the throttle cable housing is bolted onto the back of the inlet manifold (the shiney aluminium thing on the top middle of the enigne), the inner cable then runs to the throttle valve (where the Throttle position sensor is also located), it should be fairly obvous as the throttle valve is at the end of the rubber piping from the air filter where it goes into the inlet manifold.
Oh and if its not a V6, not sure (but it should be in a similar location to what i have described above anyway).

mickohr
04-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Is yours a V6? If so the throttle cable housing is bolted onto the back of the inlet manifold (the shiney aluminium thing on the top middle of the enigne), the inner cable then runs to the throttle valve (where the Throttle position sensor is also located), it should be fairly obvous as the throttle valve is at the end of the rubber piping from the air filter where it goes into the inlet manifold.
Oh and if its not a V6, not sure (but it should be in a similar location to what i have described above anyway).

thanks bro! i'll go thru this on the weekend. i'll post my results here again. i don't have a v6 engine, just the gdi one.

Exbury
07-01-2007, 11:34 PM
After reading several articles, the conclusion of putting it into N every time seemed to be that although there would be increased wear on the selectors, there would be less wear to the gearbox itself ( a more expensive fix), as I'm not an automatic person please forgive my non-technical jargon. Anyway, just what I read.

On my manual 2.5V6 it idles around 2,000 revs, however if I lift the pedal up or push the accelerator against its stop screw the revs drop to 800. I'm going to assume that the return spring (circa 166k miles) is worn and may need replacing as well as adjusting the accelerator cable. Unless anyone else has any fancy ideas.