PDA

View Full Version : V6 2.5 Sport Clutch Problems

Urban Fox
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Wondering if anybody out there could assist with techincal info on any known Clutch problems with the 2.5 V6 Sport (2000-1)?
I bought this car 2 years ago with 40K on the clock and the clutch failed on me after about 1,000 miles. I put this down to the previous owner. However, after a further 22K Miles I have had the new clutch fail on myself.
I have driven 100K's of miles year after year and never had any clutch problems with any of my prevoius cars. So I assume I'm unluckey with this model or there maybe a solution to look out for when I get a new clutch fitted next week.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards....

Exbury
05-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Failure on wear or on oil getting onto the clutch leading to premature failure?

I have heard (alledgedly) some fast fit places use re-surfaced clutches (mate had 3 replacements in 12 months from one place. Best get one fitted by a good local garage. After he takes it out ask to see it and question what may have gone wrong. I had a Toyota avensis with 21K on the clock whose clutch failed just after getting it too! You could have also just been unlucky with this clutch.

Also, I presume you do not 'ride your clutch' or sit at traffic lights with your clutch in? Not sure how susceptible to clutch wear the Galant is in these circumstances compared to other cars.

Urban Fox
05-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Cheers for that.
When I had the 1st replacement it was a Mitsu' Clutch fitted, as I paid the extra for it.
I never ride the clutch and as stated with 'my' style of driving I have never had a clutch problem with 14 years as a 'rep' up and down the country and many miles in London.

Nick Mann
05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
I've owned two V6-24's, one of them from 45k to 80 something k. Never had a clutch issue, let alone changed one. I would suggest there is something else going on there.

Exbury
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Do you get any shudder, any chance of this topic
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20220&highlight=clutch+wear
being any help?
Also I presume that you are getting clutch slip? If it wasn't disengaging properly it could be down to the clutch fluid failing. Didn't have my last V6 long enough to put more than 6K miles on it before it got written off, trying for a little higher on this other one, but just put the new clutch in myself.

Urban Fox
05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.
Never had any judders or slips on the clutch, the car has been great to drive and only had an idea of a problem 100 miles before failure.
It would seem this is not a common problem and I need to get the mechanic to look deeper into other areas of the car.

richy rich
05-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.
Never had any judders or slips on the clutch, the car has been great to drive and only had an idea of a problem 100 miles before failure.
It would seem this is not a common problem and I need to get the mechanic to look deeper into other areas of the car.
are you losing oil around the bell housing.

if so you could have 1 of the following probs 1, input shaft seal/bearing on way out on gear box. 2, crank shaft seal

also did you have the flywheel changed or re machined when last gear box was done

Urban Fox
06-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Not been aware of any oil loss in the engine but will have a look. Only the clutch was just changed, no work was done on the gear box.
Thanks again for the tip, I will have a look over the weekend for oil leaks and ask the mechanic to look on Monday.

richy rich
06-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Not been aware of any oil loss in the engine but will have a look. Only the clutch was just changed, no work was done on the gear box.
Thanks again for the tip, I will have a look over the weekend for oil leaks and ask the mechanic to look on Monday.
no work has to be done on engine or gear box for these probs its just age, seals ware out and in turn sh!t gets in to the bearing and damages it and before long 1 damaged rearbox and clutch

pitslayer
10-01-2007, 05:30 PM
try gearbox bearings, my dad had his clutch go on his galant, turned out thebearings in the gearbox had gone aswell....we got them changed seems fine now, apart from the clutch pedal has little life in it, changes gear, but theres just no feeling in it, just goes straight to the floor......btw gearbox bearings we go them changed with my garage, who does our work very very cheap.... and it cost about 300 quid for the bearings themselves

wrdmotorsport
10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
wrd can rebuild man gearboxes now.