PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug gap

mattpage
05-01-2007, 08:25 PM
All spark plugs I've bought for previous cars have been pre-gapped, but I've got some Denso plugs for the VR4, and I think I need to gap them? I think I need a 0.8mm gap?

I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm guessing its something to do with the two washers on the thread?
Anyone care to tell me how to do it?

And can someone give me an idea of how long it takes to change the plugs on the VR4? I've paid up, but just waiting to gain access to the 'how-to'.

Nick Mann
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Can't remember the correct gap. A site search should bring it up. The gap is between the two electrodes at the tip of the plug. To do it correctly you will need some feeler guages.

As for time, allow a couple of hours if you've never done it before!

mattpage
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Cheers Nick, I thought that the 'gap' refered to the gap inside the cylinder, hence the washers.
I'll try and get some feeler gauges, or find someone who can sort them out first.
Changed spark plugs on simple 4 cylinder engines before, but not on a V6. Aparently the rear 3 are harder to get to?

Nick Mann
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Yep. To get to the back three you need to move the inlet manifold, so also the strut brace, turbo piping etc. Hence the long time it takes.

Kieran
05-01-2007, 09:40 PM
The rear three are a pain in the ass as the inlet manifold has to come out - It's a fiddly affair - not difficult per-se, just a lot of bits to undo.

As for Gap - 0.8mm.:scholar:

However on a standard car, PFR6J-11 (1.1mm gap!!) will also work. But 0.8 is the correct value.

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Just a note to add to Kieran's post , make sure you do not over tighten the inlet manifold when you put it back on as the block yourscrewing into is only ally

mattpage
05-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Cheers people.

I'll wait until I have full access to the forums before I go ahead, so I know what to remove, and what to put back :)

Kieran
05-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Just a note to add to Kieran's post , make sure you do not over tighten the inlet manifold when you put it back on as the block yourscrewing into is only ally

Aye! I have a partially stripped thread because of this! /grr

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Yep I remembered your post and also when I did was very carefull for that reason ;)