PDA

View Full Version : Belt problem

MGV6
05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Still more misery Galantee is giving...........

I recently changed both the Alternator and Power Steering belt (original parts) but still when I drive away as I turn the steering full lock to pull out from a parking spot, a loud sreeching noise is coming from engine that lasts roughly 5/10 seconds and then dissappears. I have already asked my local garage to re ajust the alternator belt but its still happening. What they have done now is tighten the alternator belt a bit more and put some grease underneath it to help it.

But would it really be the alternator belt thats making this noise or PS belt?

and how does one know how tight or loose it should be? My local garage obviously don't seem to know and neither do I :)

BraindG
05-01-2007, 09:13 PM
they put grease under it:inquisiti

It should be the PS belt if its happened when turning the wheel.

MGV6
05-01-2007, 09:26 PM
they put grease under it:inquisiti

Yeah.

Are they suppose to or is that not recommended usually?

Nick Mann
05-01-2007, 09:29 PM
The squeal is because the belt is slipping. Would you grease something that is working incorrectly because it is slipping??!!

stuartturbo
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
If it only does it on full lock this will be your PAS belt
As at full lock the pump is drawing as much torque as possible
By the way don't hold it on full lock sure fire way of destroying it.
Worse case the pump is on its last legs
belt tend to slip then as it get warm holds better.
Not sure of space but if you could get a tacho on the pulley you could see if it slowing down when lock applied

BraindG
05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah.

god no, it should be bone dry... normally thats why it squels, cos its damp/not tight. i really dont understand why they put grease under the belt, thats just silly!

Kieran
05-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah.

:speechles What grease did they use?! Most are not good for belts! I hope it was a silicone Lubricant type!:speechles

Yeah, the squealing is incorrect belt tension - needs the adjuster winding up a bit.

Dan_G
05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
grease under the belt? :thinking: :inquisiti

might stop it squeling but it wont be turning any of the pulleys because it will be slipping all the time (but qiuetly) ....

replace the power steering belt and tension it correctly and everything should be fine..

stuartturbo
05-01-2007, 09:41 PM
500Nm load with about 11-15mm off movement
when checked between crank and pas pump pulley

On the belt Grease even them sprays to stop it are not recommended as they work by softening the belt ( rots surface)

Kieran
05-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Oh, and another piece of advise - half your galant misery is being caused by the garages you're going to! If i were you I'd consider a trip to WRD - I know they're quite a way, but you shouldn't be having this much aggro with your car!

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Hear Hear , Wise Kieran speaks again !!!!

MGV6
05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Oh, and another piece of advise - half your galant misery is being caused by the garages you're going to! If i were you I'd consider a trip to WRD - I know they're quite a way, but you shouldn't be having this much aggro with your car!

Thats exactly what I would do. I have been saying this for some time but only that they live far away from where I am. I would service my car from WRD all the time (no doubt) but its just the distance. I suppose one day I will just have to take it there and get everything sorted. :)

BraindG
05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Or using the articles have a bash yourself?

MGV6
05-01-2007, 10:05 PM
:speechles What grease did they use?!

Not sure, they just told me they put grease under there

MGV6
05-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Or using the articles have a bash yourself?

Too much nitty gritty and plus I don't have all the tools. A simple jack donesn't help much at times. I would need one of those equipments used to lifts cars up by machine which most garages have.

Even then, I still wouldn't risk it myself just in case something goes wrong. :)

I did one thing though.......resolder my digital clock few months ago :)

BraindG
05-01-2007, 10:12 PM
A simple jack donesn't help much at times. I would need one of those equipments used to lifts cars up by machine which most garages have.

Heh, garage smarage (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11086)..

MGV6
05-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Heh, garage smarage (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11086)..

I could not do that in a million years :)

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Look if barry can do anyone can , look he can't even fix his own pc ;) /lol

BraindG
05-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Look if barry can do anyone can , look he can't even fix his own pc ;) /lol
/Grrr /pan

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
:iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou: :afro: /toycar

Lillywotsername
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I would service my car from WRD all the time (no doubt) but its just the distance.
TBH Gurj..... We have had people come up from alot further away than you are... eg the HJMs came up from Dorset

You will be welcome to stay for food in the evening it you would like or the other option is bringing it up, leaving it and coming back up by train to collect. John has done this a few times and he lives not too far from you.

MGV6
06-01-2007, 08:48 PM
I might take it to WRD one day. Probably when I service the car, I'll do all the other bits as well.

Paul Beazer
07-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Going BACK on subject. When you've got the steering on full lock so the steering wheel wont turn anymore, back it off the stop a touch. This should stop the noise AND reduce the strain on the PAS pump. When you've got it on full lock the pump is still trying to push against the rack and theres no where for it to go. Err i think thats makes sense?
Also DONT PUT ANY GREASE ON ANY AUXILLARY BELTS! As others have said, you want to increase grip not decrease it and some greases may perish the belt. You can get stuff called belt dressing which is sort of like spray silicone sealant, its supposed to help this sort of thing, and stop the belt perishing too apparently.

ANTHONY
11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
now stared a new thread