PDA

View Full Version : removed AirCon - need help with Belt

AllBeItMine
05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Hokay - question, has anybody removed the AirCon from their VR and come up with a magic way to still get the powersteering belt on by moving the tensioner to a new spot... somehow???

i binned the AC a while ago to give me more space + i never use it. but now the belt for the PS doesn't get anywhere near the tensioner - so i am faced with making up a new bracket for it... unless somebody else has some bright ideas?

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 11:22 PM
smaller belt ?

AllBeItMine
05-01-2007, 11:34 PM
smaller belt ?

yeap.

smaller belt. but theres still a prob.. let me illustrate.

if you remove the AC - the tensioner dont go anywhere near the belt...

Nutter_John
05-01-2007, 11:42 PM
wrap a piece of string around the PS , Drive pulley and Tensioner ( set it to half way ) , then mark the lenght of string to do one complete circuit . measure it and go into a local auto factor and ask for various belts and confirm the lenghts etc until you get one that is close enuf .

Should work ok

AllBeItMine
06-01-2007, 05:01 AM
thanks. but i had thought about that and i dont think it will work.

the tensioner isn't grooved for the belt because it sits outside the loop not inside it so it probably wouldn't work...

i guess it could be worth a try? i guess i am just worried it will slip however.

belt shown in pic.

Paul Beazer
06-01-2007, 09:02 PM
If you ran the belt round the lower part of the tensioner, would it not work? I "dont" think it needs to be grooved.

Or put the aircon pump back in, just to fillup the space for the belt. If its not gassed up or the magnetic clutch connected it will just go round?

stuartturbo
06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
How about swapping the pulley for a grooved type
move the tensioner even mount it to a plate to move it up a bit more witha shorter belt not sure on space not looked
and as paul says refit air con or a dumey setup in there

Jesus-Ninja
16-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Apologies for the thread revival, but I was about to post my own on the same topic, and this came back inthe suggested search results.
stuartturbo - Did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same issue. I have a V6 non-aircon belt, as I thought this would be a good starting place. The aircon V6 belt is the same as the aircon VR4 belt, so it wasn't an unreasonable idea. But, as you say, the tensioner is in the wrong place, and the V6 non-aircon belt is quite baggy.

Adam.Findlay
16-11-2012, 10:49 AM
could always delete the power steering pump and run an electric one from a sw20 MR2 or similar.
that means you can relocate the P/S pump to elsewhere freeing up a hell of a lot of space in the front of the motor for bigger turbos/radiatiors blah blah

exevoowner
16-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Had thought of deleting the power steering pump and use a saxo electric one so would removing ac also be worth while could a electric pump work ac?

Davezj
16-11-2012, 02:20 PM
you could try an alternator tensioner mounting bracket with a PS tensioner pulley mounted on it.
then try and fit in a location where it can be used for the PS belt.
there might be a few empty bolt hole available now the AC is removed.

Jesus-Ninja
16-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have a picture or even just information on how the non-aircon V6 is set up. As per the OP it can't simply be a case of running without the aircon and the shorter available belt, as the tensioner is in the wrong place and there's too much slack in the belt anyway.

Does the V6 have the PAS pump located differently? Or does it have a different tensioner? The simplest solution would seem to be to do what ever is done on the non-aircon V6 (as the aircon V6 and VR4 are the same)

elnevio
16-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Sorry, a V6 without aircon? I thought all 8G V6 Galants had aircon as standard?

Or could they be optioned with a sunroof instead, or something?

Jesus-Ninja
16-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Sorry, a V6 without aircon?

Well, you can buy two belts from all the motorfactors: one for a V6 with aircon, one for a V6 without aircon. So it would follow that they actually produced some :)

Nick Mann
16-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I've never seen an 8th gen galant without aircon.

horndog
16-11-2012, 07:02 PM
The workshop manual only shows the v6 belt with AC compressor, on the 4cyl there are diagrams for with/without AC

The Vee
16-11-2012, 07:08 PM
No, me neither. But, what about the 2.0 v6 6a12 set-up? Engine is round the other way in the 7G, but the belt set-up maybe similar...

Jesus-Ninja
17-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Here you go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140864036466

Part Number : 6PK0965
Make : MITSUBISHI
Model Description : GALANT Mk VI (EA_) 2.5 V6 24V (EA5A)
Year : 01/97-10/04
Fuel Type : Petrol
Body : Saloon
Number of Cylinders : 6
Number of Valves : 24
CAM : DOHC
Drive : Front Wheel Drive
Engine Code : 6A13
Info : For vehicles without air conditioning
Belt Type : power-steering pump

Humpty's Revenge
17-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Just use a piece of string to gauge length & take to motor factors?

Jesus-Ninja
17-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Doesn't work Steve, as without the aircon pulley in the system the existing tensioner is in the wrong place and doesn't bear on the belt, even if it were about the right length. I suspect it's either an idler to replace the pump or it's mve the tensioner. Just seemed weird as I've seen a few times now 6A13 belts for engines without aircon.

Scanny
17-11-2012, 05:44 PM

all of my cars have had it. the only difference being digital or analogue controls

elnevio
17-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess it depends on the pulley arrangement for vehicles without AC. Maybe a replacement pulley on a bracket is fitted in a similar position to the AC pump, but then you'd expect the belt to be the same. Or maybe the tensioner is installed in a different position (which I guess is more likely).

wintertidenz
17-11-2012, 11:12 PM
I've just checked and it doesn't look like any 8G EUDM Galants were sold without air con - so not sure where they are getting the non-air con belt from.
I agree with what Nev says about the tensioner - are there any other places for it to be mounted? I guess even if you needed to fabricate a bracket for it and mount it where the air con used to be, it should do the trick.

On my old V6 Lancer, the air con pump died (clutch failed) - so Mitsi removed it and put a pulley in its place (I think it was custom fabricated). That would be another option as well - if you still have the pulley from the air con pump, at least you wouldn't have to hunt that down.

swinks
17-11-2012, 11:14 PM
But I have seen ;)
Don't think it was an option in UK, but it was as cheapest option in European market: Netherlands, Belgium , Germany, France, Eastern Europe. Most common for Galants with diesel engines, but also with petrol 4g63 and 6a13. Usually alongside manual door windows, no front fogs.

Davezj
18-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Is it possible to move the power steering pump to where the ac pump was fitted with some kind of bracket, then a shouter belt would work and the tensioner is in the correct position.

Jesus-Ninja
18-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah, that's probably the route I'll go down, Dave, provided there's enough slack in the pipework.

Jesus-Ninja
21-11-2012, 05:25 PM
I have my answer. Pipework was going to be too much of a ballache to move the PAS pump, although it's a beautiful solution. The simple answer aws to leave the aircon pump there, as it draws nothing that a simple pulley would when it's disconnected, as the magnetic clutch isn't engaged. But this is not an elegant solution, and niggled me.

So...

Dismantled the pulley on the pump with a view to using that, which came away quite nicely, including it's bearing., but I needed an axle to put it onto.

Stripped the pump further (which was incredibly interesting!!) to leave me with the front face of the pump which incorporates the axle. Stuck the face in the lathe and turned the axle out of it, and then put the axle in the lathe to tidy it up. Bingo. A nice axle to bolt up to a bracket and then fit the pulley to.

Now, you might ask "why not just turn a new axle on the lathe" a) I have no billet in the right size b) This axle has the shoulder that the bearing buts up to, with a grove on the other side for a circlip. All of which is "doable", but why bother when there's one already made!

Just got to fab a bracket now.

Davezj
21-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Sounds nice,
"I love it when a plan comes together"

Jesus-Ninja
21-11-2012, 05:42 PM
But I have seen ;)

swinks I'd still be really interested to see what the set-up / arrangement is on one with no aircon, as that's got to be better than my fabbed pulley :) Any pics, or even better any parts?

swinks
21-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I'd still be really interested to see what the set-up / arrangement is on one with no aircon, as that's got to be better than my fabbed pulley :) Any pics, or even better any parts?
Will try to search Polish forum, maybe there is example of v6 in someone hands, those low spec of 4G63 and 4D68T are more common tho.

GalantOnly
21-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Straight from ASA...

Jesus-Ninja
21-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Straight from ASA...

Are those for a V6? Are you able to tell from ASA whether the parts are found on any other UK models?

Jesus-Ninja
28-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Sounds nice,
"I love it when a plan comes together"

Well, this is what it looked like. Still not got round to fitting it yet! :sick2:

roryfromnz
28-11-2012, 08:53 PM
That looks awesome!

Well, this is what it looked like. Still not got round to fitting it yet! :sick2:

Jesus-Ninja
28-11-2012, 10:02 PM
That looks awesome!

Thank you :) Just a couple of bits of 3mm angle and then some 5mm plate.

Davezj
28-11-2012, 11:07 PM

that almost looks like a pro part.

only kidding that looks very pro. if you take the measurments and make some templates before you fit it, you could make more of these as i am sure others will want to de A\C there car at some point.
maybe you could recoupe a few sheckles from your unfortunate accident.

Jesus-Ninja
28-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Hmm, maybe. I'd need to find another source of pulleys and axles, as cutting up an aircon pump isn't the ideal way of getting them! :)

Jesus-Ninja
29-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Installed last night :)

The Vee
29-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Looking good

Jesus-Ninja
29-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Just need to lose the big square washer and replace it with something tidier.

Jesus-Ninja
29-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Nice big round washer ordered :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The Vee
01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Nice big round washer ordered :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Good man!!

jbjonb
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
another option is...why not get a pulley the same diameter as the aircon one and then make up a bracket which uses the original mountings and include some way of tensioning it?? that way u still use the standard belt??

Jesus-Ninja
01-12-2012, 09:59 PM
another option is...why not get a pulley the same diameter as the aircon one and then make up a bracket which uses the original mountings and include some way of tensioning it?? that way u still use the standard belt??

That's pretty much what I've done.