PDA

View Full Version : Uneven wear on front brake pads ...

White Lightning
06-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Changed the front brake pads on the VR-4 this morning (with some assistance from Pete :thumbsup: ) . First time I had done it and the job took less than two hours which I didn't think was too bad. But we lost a lot of time moving the car about in the garage to get more space as it was peeing down outside. Anyway, back to the point ...

The old pads on the OSF looked ok but then NSF pads had worn unevenly. The top part of the pads had worn down about 2mm more than the bottom part of the pads. Almost like the top piston has been doing more braking than the bottom piston ... if that makes sense.

Anyone got any ideas what can cause this and how it can be rectified ?

Also, I've just read this post by Mike (the previous owner of my car - for those that don't know) http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7014 and noted the comment about the seized sliding bolts. I put copper slip around the end of the pads but didn't put anything on the sliding bolts - was I supposed to .... ???

TIA

Kieran
06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Have a read of this - it should help you!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14433

Nutter_John
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Wayne , serach and you will be enlightened , There is a kieran lenght post about caliper bolts and what grease to use and how much , and what time of the day is best to install the grease oh and what is the most effective colour :D

Kieran did some fantasic research on this

g6acb
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
With follow up info here

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20277&highlight=brake+grease

White Lightning
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys. Have just read Kieran's findings about the grease. I think I need to get hold of some of this special grease. Has anyone used the Amsoil stuff on the sliding pins then?

Mine were clearly not well greased as I had to use a hammer and screwdriver to get the bolts out once the threaded part was out :smash:

I was thinking it was probably not right ... :oops:

Hmm, probably need to use the car "as is" for now and get hold of some grease to redo it as I did notice that one of the rubber dust covers was splitting and I could do with replacing that as well.

Is the upper bolt the same size as the lower bolt ?

White Lightning
06-01-2007, 02:34 PM
In fact ... I may pop down to Halfrauds later and see if they have got anything as I've got a £20 voucher for them ... /toycar

White Lightning
06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Actually ... I've got here a tub of Castrol LM Grease that I had in the garage and is nearly new ...

On the Castrol website it says:

Castrol LM Grease
Lithium based, high melting pot grease, specifically designed as a wheel bearing grease for use over a wide range of temperatures. Also suitable for general purpose applications

But it does not say anything about being synthetic based. Will that be ok for the caliper bolts ?

If not, will it be ok for the back of the pads as I didn't put anything on them either ...

Paul Beazer
06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Hmm, not sure that will be any good. If i remember that search for "the" gease is still ongoing.

psbarham
06-01-2007, 09:13 PM
lithium grease is no good , it will over time perish the seals . its fine short term but when you do put the correct grease in give the bolt holes a good squirt out with brake cleaner to remove any traces of the old grease .

White Lightning
06-01-2007, 11:34 PM
lithium grease is no good , it will over time perish the seals . its fine short term but when you do put the correct grease in give the bolt holes a good squirt out with brake cleaner to remove any traces of the old grease .

Ahh ok. After my last post I went to Halfrauds but they had nothing suitable so ended up redoing the OSF and removed both sliding bolts, cleaned them up and coated them in the LM grease. Going to do the NSF tomorrow morning.

I will make sure it's only a temporary solution and redo it once I get a replacement seal for the one that is splitting (in fact I will probably just get 4 ...)

So can someone tell me where I can order a suitable grease from please ... answers on a postcard :scholar:

Spirit
07-01-2007, 01:06 AM
So can someone tell me where I can order a suitable grease from please ... answers on a postcard :scholar:

Maybe these people can help ? http://www.lubricants.co.uk/hightemperaturegrease.html

Worth sending them an email ?