PDA

View Full Version : One day in Auckland.....

ariddell
07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Guys,
My partner and I are going to be in Auckland for a v.brief stopover on our way out to Melbourne in Feb. Looking to get some ideas for what we could do with our 24hrs.....

I'm planning on hiring a car from Auckland airport and heading out to see some stuff. Will check-in to our hotel by the harbour later in the evening to try to make best use of the day. We fly back out quite early the next morning so would like to try to cram in as much of interest as possible.

Any sugestions for how 24hrs in Auckland could be well spent?

Cheers

Al

bradc
07-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Possibly a meal at the revolving restaurent at the sky tower, and a trip to Kelly Tarltons? They spring to mind as the only interesting places in the city. The museum is good too if you're into that sort of thing.

ariddell
07-01-2007, 07:49 PM
How about out of the city if we have a car?

Anywhere not too far out that would be worth a trip and we could head into the city later?

william
07-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I would do the following - Breakfast at one of the many nice spots in Mission Bay after a cruise along Tamaki drive, then a harbour ferry cruise (including Rangitoto island), Harbour bridge bungy jump, dinner , as Brad suggested, in the revolving restaurant in Skytower. I was a bit dissapointed in the museum (nothing compared to the museums you have in the UK). If bungy jumping is not your type of thing, go and have a picknick on top of Mount Eden - beautiful views and a unique peak down a volcanic crater (dormant!)

william
07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
If you want to take a drive out of the city consider a drive to Piha - a beautiful West Coast beach about 20km from the city. You will find useful brochures at the airport too. If you need further help when here you are welcome to PM me for my mobile number.

d i c k i e s
07-01-2007, 10:38 PM
why not visit one of the boys in aucks...

djb160
08-01-2007, 12:54 AM
theres alway motat if thats still around? kelly tarltons is cool if you dont get to see sharks and rays while growing up.

JuiceNZ
08-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Auckland is the City of Sails, known for it's harbours and beaches. As suggested above Kelly Tarltons Underwater world is worth it but you may have to queue with the tourist buses. A harbour cruise from downtown with a hike up Rangitoto would take out the afternoon. Or drive out to the wild west coast beaches with their bush and black sand. Or go for a sail on an Americas cup racing yacht. A few details here: http://www.aatravel.co.nz/101-must-dos-for-kiwis/

Lucas
08-01-2007, 07:38 AM
If it's a nice sunny day with a reasonable breeze you could pay a visit to the hilltop in Mission Bay on the south side of the harbour or Mt Victoria on the North side. You get a great view of the harbour and can see all the yachts racing etc. Devonport is meant to be a nice little place for people that like wine and being ponsy etc. Never thought it was that great imo though.

If wanting to shop you could go through New Market (and visit Andrew Simms Mitsubishi and take an Evo or VR4 for spin :evilgrin: )

Or you could even stroll around Ponsonby wearing HUGE SUNGLASSES! (local joke)

Or maybe a cafe in Parnell.

If you only have 24 hours... don't waste it on Rainbows End!

As mentioned above you could go to Piha if you like a Surf Beach or if you prefer a calmer beach then you could head north and go to either Long bay or Orewa Beach

That's all for now.... :pimp2:

ariddell
08-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Fantastic guys, some great ideas there, much appreciated!

I think the bungee jump is probably out and if I was to go anywhere near anything remotely car related my knackers would probably be chopped off sharpish... But otherwise all good.

Thinking the breakfast idea, and a cruise to Piha to see some scenery in the morning, maybe that aquarium place in the afternoon which looks pretty cool. Not so much with seeing sharks and rays growing up in Scotland so will be something different. And then on for dinner at Orbit in the skytower in the evening for what look like great views of the city.

Thanks for the input, exactly what i was looking for.

Cheers

Al