PDA

View Full Version : High Flow/Racing Cats?

bernmc
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
NOt the purring kind... :)

Has anyone here researched high flow cats for the VR4? Need to fit Rhys' glorious fujitsiwotsit to my car, but MOT due in two months, so mights as well get it legalised when I fit...

stuartturbo
07-01-2007, 04:49 PM
hayward and scott I was going to get them to make a system for me.
Or try MLR as ther cannont be much difference????

bernmc
07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
hayward and scott I was going to get them to make a system for me.
Or try MLR as ther cannont be much difference????

Theres a bloke on MLR (http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120844) who does 100 cell SS cats (3inch) for £200...

I need to speak to someone who knows their stuff - our cars are pretty borderline when it comes to emissions, so it's going to have to be a good cat...

stuartturbo
07-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Will an Evo one fit?? acmskill may know if no-one does

Kieran
07-01-2007, 05:21 PM
TSL motorsport are based in Nottingham and I've been in contact with them. They say that their 100 cell cat will cope with the muck that a Legnum will spew at it quite happily as it was originally designed for 'Group N' EVOs and is also anti-lag proof - i.e. It can withstand a flamefront hitting it.

I have my old De-cat pipe in my boot to take to them so they can confirm fitment, from pictures and measurements, I *think* we have the same fitting as the EVO 4-6 cat.

bernmc
07-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Ta SK. Got a contact number? As my exhaust isn't std, I don't think std fitment is going to be a concern - I'm going to pop out to the garage and have a look-see in a moment. I suspect there'll be a bit of cutting and welding anyway, so I can just get it done to whatever the cat is.

Did they give you an idea of price?

This quote from one of the MLR boys made me laugh:

Hi flow cats in 2.5 and 3 bore are cheaply available in the states.
Check out www.buschurracing.com or www.roadraceengineering.com.
Easily fitted by any competent exhaust shop (who the f*** would that be then?)

Kieran
07-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Here ya go Bern! I think their sports cat is about £239.

Thanks for the email !

With regard to the cat we use in the sports cat it is 100 cel anti-lag proof and as used on the WRC cars so im sure it will cope with the legnums gasses fine !

Best thing to do would be to pop down with your decat and we can measure it up to our sports cat and see if it fits, the important thing to remember though is that this is a 3inch decat so bigger diameter than the standard unit.

With regard to the cambelt im sure we can do it but i would have no idea on cost it would literally be time taken .

Hope to speak to you soon,

Best Regards

John
http://www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk/
TSL Motorsport
Tel: 0115 937 7200
Fax: 0115 937 6317

bernmc
07-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Ta SK.

My bits don't look anything like the std, so it'll be a bit of cut & shut whatever I get. Will give a few places a call tomorrow

Axeboy
07-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Soooooo shiiiiinnnny

bernmc
08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Soooooo shiiiiinnnny

Yeah - typical Rhys! The pictures don't do it justice. Hard to believe it's actually been on a working Car!

Eurospec
08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I fitted a 'hi flow race cat' for a customer on his FTO a couple of weeks or so back. The cat was sourced from a company called rice rocket (www.ricerocketuk.co.uk). Its a part supply business- they dont make them.

Now looking at the cat i would say it was a std race cat with the appropriate flanges fitted to it by the manufacturer, so probably they could replicate one for the Galant.

Cheers,

Ben.

Kieran
26-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Right. I've just been to visit John @ TSL motorsport. They frequent the MLR quite a lot.

I am pleased to report The EVO 4/5/6 sports cat is a bolt-on replacement for the Legnum's. It's the right length and the flanges are correctly aligned too. It's a 100cell unit, so it's very free flowing. I had a look, they're obviously bespoke in that it's a core which the appropriate pipes are welded to, however it's very nicely finished and the core is so open you can see right through it!

The biggest difference is that the inlet/outlet is a 3 inch bore, which is bigger than a standard system - however with a set of WRD downpipes....:afro:

They cost £274inc and if there's enough interest (ie 3 or more) John may be able to arrange a group buy.

bernmc
26-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Pretty expensive... bloke on MLR does a 200 cell for just over £200. SUpposed to be good for 450 BHP.

Depends on how much group buy discount they do...

bernmc
26-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Here we go: Complete with dyno figures and MOT results.

Price is a bit more than their earlier version - £239

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125302

Kieran
26-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Yes.... But that's a 200 cell version, so the core won't be as open. I'm not kidding, I held the TSL unit up to my eye and I could see their workshop out the other end!!:speechles

vr4moose
29-01-2007, 12:27 AM

Has anyone here researched high flow cats for the VR4? Need to fit Rhys' glorious fujitsiwotsit to my car, but MOT due in two months, so mights as well get it legalised when I fit... i have a 200 cell one from cobra in sheffield, they did my 3inch system too. next job is new front pipe to match. how are you mate.

vr4moose
29-01-2007, 12:36 AM

Has anyone here researched high flow cats for the VR4? Need to fit Rhys' glorious fujitsiwotsit to my car, but MOT due in two months, so mights as well get it legalised when I fit... http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk they said that some 100 cat systems were failing m.o.t so i had 200.

Kieran
29-01-2007, 12:43 AM
http://www.exhaustsuk.co.uk they said that some 100 cat systems were failing m.o.t so i had 200.

That's true - a 100 cell system has to have a large high quality monolith because it's not that dense - the TSL cat is 100 cell, but it's physically a big unit. You literally have the flanges and about an inch or so of pipe and the rest is a whacking great circular monolith that's easily bigger than the standard cat.

bernmc
29-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes- as far as I know, that's cells per inch, not total number of cells. So if you have more inches, you have a bigger total number of cells. ie a long 100cpi will be the equivalent of a short 200cpi.

bernmc
24-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Just ordered a cat from TSL. £290.22 with delivery, so it's not cheap!

Will get the WRD boys to modify and fit my shiny 3inch kit once the cat arrives.

Kieran
24-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Just ordered a cat from TSL. £290.22 with delivery, so it's not cheap!

Will get the WRD boys to modify and fit my shiny 3inch kit once the cat arrives.

You did order the Shorter EVO 4/5/6 cat, didn't you?

bernmc
25-02-2007, 05:42 PM
You did order the Shorter EVO 4/5/6 cat, didn't you?

Yes Sahib. The bloke remembered you and the what a VR4 was, which is pretty good going.

I'm not sure what he meant by 'thieving ginger bastard' though :inquisiti...

:D

Kieran
25-02-2007, 09:07 PM
:mask: :uhoh2:

bernmc
28-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Pics. Looks solid and well-made.

timiano
28-02-2007, 07:48 PM
My word!

Expensive, but it looks very very nice. Only about 5hp loss too...wunderbar!

What needs doing to them now to make them fit, or is it plug and play?

bernmc
28-02-2007, 08:32 PM
My word!

Expensive, but it looks very very nice. Only about 5hp loss too...wunderbar!

What needs doing to them now to make them fit, or is it plug and play?

Plug and pray if you've got a standard cat fitment. Unfortunately, I don't, so I'll be taking it to the local cut&shut boys (WRD :evilgrin:) to fettle.

bernmc
22-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, the sports cat works - passed MOT emissions today (but failed on the bloody ball joint. ffing kraut supplier :veryangry)

CO is less than my test with the std cat last year, both at 'natural' and fast idle. HC slightly higher (but still well below the limits)

timiano
22-03-2007, 06:46 PM
What's the performance and noise like?

Looking good though!

bernmc
22-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Mine went on along with downpipes and a fujitsiwotsit exhaust, so I'm comparing it wih the original exhaust rubbish.

I'm tempted to go out driving just to listen to the exhaust now -I LOVE it! Just the most fantastic grumble. Pickup is much imporved, suggesting that the turbo is spooling quicker. Put your foot down and the car just lunges.

Exhaust has probably cost me a grand including the cat, but it's the first thing I'd do to any new VR4...

timiano
22-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Cheers

I've already got a HKS Super Dragger which has a lovely note, and not too much of a thug when just pootling about.

I've got a set of downpipes from the WRD boys that I'm anxiously waiting for, and a mate has a decat for me until I can stump up the cash for a race cat....likely to be the one you have after such a glowing report!

Hopefully the downpipes will be ready before I go to the ring.

bernmc
22-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Cheers

I've already got a HKS Super Dragger which has a lovely note, and not too much of a thug when just pootling about.

I've got a set of downpipes from the WRD boys that I'm anxiously waiting for, and a mate has a decat for me until I can stump up the cash for a race cat....likely to be the one you have after such a glowing report!

Hopefully the downpipes will be ready before I go to the ring.

Well, watch this space - If I do get a skyline, there are going to be bits up for grabs ;)

Paul C
22-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Pics. Looks solid and well-made.

what is the thread size on the lamba plug, m16 or m18,welded to side?

richy rich
22-03-2007, 09:44 PM
M18 x 1.5(M Fine)

Eurospec
23-03-2007, 12:27 AM

Yeah saw that, is that really the lambda bung or is it for the cat heat sensor?

Decent quality bit of kit though eh?!

Cheers,

Ben.

Kieran
23-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah saw that, is that really the lambda bung or is it for the cat heat sensor?

Decent quality bit of kit though eh?!

Cheers,

Ben.

That bung on the cat serves no purpose on the VR-4. It's because the cat's designed for the EVO and some of them have a secondary O2 sensor on there - on the VR-4, there's only one and it's on the downpipes. It does make for a handy wideband sensor hole though, if you want to keep the OE oxygen sensor.

L6
08-04-2007, 11:03 AM
kieran r u still interested in a group buy from TSL or are you sorted

I am going back to hyeline in cardiff for my front pipes soon ish, and the race cat will finish off the system nicely.

R U still up for one ?

Kieran
08-04-2007, 02:36 PM
kieran r u still interested in a group buy from TSL or are you sorted

I still plan to get a sports cat, yes. I like to think I'm protecting the environment as I howl around in my big-ass, 20ish MPG estate car(!)....

As for a group buy, I guess it depends on whether or not other peeps are interested - I doubt many people will be as most have just decatted. Oh and I need a set of DOWNPIPES with a 3" flange too..... :deal2:

L6
09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I agree with still keepin a cat plus I can't be bothered to keep swappin it in and out for MOT time, so a sports one seem's good, I am going to contact TSL tomorrow and check availability and probably order one,

I'll then be ready for my front pipes from hyeline,

I have been checking out wide band O2 kits there are some goodn's out there.
Most of the ones I have been lookin at are also muliti chanel data loggers plus software and around the £400 mark but very impresive, there are also multi sensor kits with one for each down pipe to keep a seperate eye on the left and right bank seperatly ,
Their top kit is a Pro version with one Bosch LM4 sensor per cylinder (upto 12 cylinders), which is as good as it gets but a little over the top for my needs. I am lookin at the single one with Data logger and gauge on the dash.

Once the zorst is fully done and I can then chart my AFR and the sky's the limit,

I will be able to see the effect any future mods like boost and fuel have and how they inturn alter the AFR.

L6
10-04-2007, 04:00 PM
100 cell cat now on order and due @ my house Thur/Fri

same price as BERN paid @ £290.22 VAT n P+P all inc.

next stop bk to Cardiff for front pipes and get "their" mistake sorted out

Hyeline welded in a bit of 302 instead of 304 as they ran short of the chrome 304.

Well at the time I thought the satin bit was 304!!!.................... but as time has passed the dam extra bit has gone rusty!!!

I am not a happy chappy !!!

So they have said they will sort it when I go back for the front pipes

Throbbe
08-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Thread from the dead ...

I'm tempted to get one, either EVO400 or TSL to compliment my new exhaust (Fujitsubwaaaarp currently on the boat). Would anyone be interested in a group buy if I made the enquiries?

Mark 4
08-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Yup, I'm interested.

bradc
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
If I had to run a cat, I'd just get two stock cats for next to nothing and have each turbo feeding into it's own cat. Just put the O2 sensor in one of the downpipes, and get two AFR sensors to confirm that the two banks are running at the same values.

More exhaust flow, cheaper and the ability to monitor both bank's AFR. Forget spending 290 pounds on a new cat!!!!

djb160
11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
How come only running one O2 senson would work? I thought you needed two in the case of two exhausts?

bradc
12-05-2008, 06:20 AM
I was referring to the stock O2 sensor needing to be in one of the downpipes, then run an additional pair, one in each to give you the reading on the gauges.