PDA

View Full Version : My Turn for Front Brake Questions

g6acb
07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
OK, my car is rapidly approaching 54k, I have been busy gathering the required service bits with a view to a trip to Stoke, the cambelt (and other belts) change is booked with Mitsu for next Friday (I have an issue with camshaft sensor which requires MUT-11 attention so best leave it to them...but thats another story)

The talk over recent days regarding brakes and guide pins reminded me that my cars brakes have not recieved any attention for 27 thousand miles (I have checked brake pad thickness when the wheels have been off)

I have owned a Galant since 2001 and have never had a set of pads last more than 20k before now so was always anticipating changing them with the 54k attention.....

... however there has been much confusion regarding later model UK Galants as to exactly which pads / discs they use... if you check online retailers none list 2.0 16v galants beyond 2001 - mine is a 2002 model and I have always assumed that they use the same bits as 2.4 GDI / 2.5 v6 models - these are listed from 2001 onwards by all retailers.....

just to be sure I took the pads out today - my brakes have the 2 piece bolt and pin set-up - first outside pad out and cleaned up a bit

Pretty good nick for 27,000 miles and they are indeed the same pad as the 2.4 / 2.5

all the checks I had done when the wheels were off showed even wear on both pads... nothing to worry about???

2nd inner pad out, now feel free to tell me I'm being stupid, but surley this isn't right???

and a picture of the inside of the disc

With the 2 piece bolt and pin, there is an effective seal stopping contamination of the 'mystery' grease and the pins slide as smooth as.... the piston is moving freely, as far as i can tell everyting is OK with the caliper , it just seems as if the pad is too big for the disc or vice versa?? anyway resigned to new discs as well as pads I checked the other side......

..... only to find that it was exactly the same

Anyone any thoughts on this?? My first reaction was to check that the pad were the right ones... but looking at diagrams for the other pad available for the 275mm disc, there is no way they will fit into the pad carrier???

Confused..... but I need to get it sorted quick.... my driving this week will be limited and I have the weekend free to sort it but after then I'm back to mega miles

May well get to Mitsu armed with photos and chassis no to confirm correct fitment a.s.a.p

Kieran
08-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Hordak had those type of pads, though I don't recall them wearing like yours have on the front - However, the rears did do exactly that - see here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53407&postcount=5

Now, I never did check my rear disc thickness, however I suspect that they were the original discs and that they had worn beyond minimum thickness - hence why the overlapping part of the pad was being eaten away by the rough non-braking part of the disc, if that makes sense?

g6acb
08-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Yeah , I thought of that too, some kind of inbuilt its time to change your discs now type thing - but my measurements (heath robinson stylee with a caliper and mechanics ruler - have you seen how much micrometers cost????) put the disk thickness at approx 22.5mm on the 'breaking' part of the disk and over 23mm where the ridge is near the hub (bear in mind no ridge on the other side)

guides say 24mm original and 22mm minimum thickness

These figures are not going to be spot on but I doubt the disk is less than 22mm

The way i'm thinking at the moment is to get some cheap ass discs and pads, run them for 6 months (12 thousand miles) and see if it happens again.......

Kieran
08-01-2007, 12:47 AM
The way i'm thinking at the moment is to get some cheap ass discs and pads, run them for 6 months (12 thousand miles) and see if it happens again.......

I am thinking that might be the best idea, yes.

g6acb
08-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Kieran, just to clarify... the rear pads on hordak, you say outboard pad has the groove - I can see the same kind of groove in the pad but its the one with the metal tab on it?? i.e the inner or inboard pad??

Paul Beazer
08-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Kieran, just to clarify... the rear pads on hordak, you say outboard pad has the groove - I can see the same kind of groove in the pad but its the one with the metal tab on it?? i.e the inner or inboard pad??
The pad with the metal tab goes on the inside.

g6acb
08-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Cheap ass discs and pads and fitting kit ? sourced and ordered - most people I spoke to today would have supplied the wrong kit based on chassis no /wall

One of our customers at work is TMD friction - they dont sell to joe public but a quick call and I was put in touch with an Auto Surplus company on a 'tell them I sent you' basis

Mintex standard pads, discs and whatever a fitting kit contains £85 quid all in

So thats my Saturday sorted - an early morning trip to the local auto spares place for coppaslip etc, Kierans guide printed, swear box emptied and on standby /help

I-S
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Mintex standard pads, discs and whatever a fitting kit contains £85 quid all in

Not bad... not as good as my £20 discs and FREE greenstuffs (I won a competition), but not bad. :pimp2: /toycar /toycar

g6acb
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM
I could have got a bit cheaper, but they were Delphi discs - and I had problems with them on my old car - mintex are meant to be pretty good as far as 'cheapies' go and I have never tried them before so I'll give 'em a bash

.... and I didn't have time to scour eBay for a bargain....

I-S
09-01-2007, 10:19 PM
My discs were motorquip, which a friend of mine who owns a garage reckons are ok. The handy thing with the 256mm disc is that it fits a whole load of volvo S/V40s too, so they're widely available. However, sounds like a good deal, so hope it works out!

g6acb
20-01-2007, 07:47 PM
After a bit of a hiccup with the brake people sending thw wrong discs, I managed to get this done today - I have never replaced discs before, only pads - but with help from the guides on here, the use of the bottom half of a swingball pole slipped over my socket wrench as an impromptu breaker bar and a mid-job trip to the autospares place for some M8 bolts to get the discs off it was all plain sailing.....

.... the hardest part of the job was unscrewing the brake fluid reservoir cap..... how bloody tight was that with freezing numb hands????

Now to see if it replicated the previous wear pattern - the autospares place are going to measure the discs for me tomorow with a turbo-ninja digital micrometer

Nick Mann
21-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Good job!

a turbo-ninja digital micrometerToo much time talking to Kieran?

Kieran
21-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Too much time talking to Kieran?

How very dare you! /pan