PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Review required

colVR4
21-11-2003, 12:40 PM
Looking around I found a website called

http://www.street-racers.co.uk

It looks like a good site and having put 'galant' into the search I was rewarded with a number of mods.

What I need to know is if the following are any good? Are they priced reasonably? Are they things that I can fit myself with a little mechanical knowledge? Are they worth adding to the car to make it perform and look better?

The mods I am interested in are:
Uprated discs INSERT INTO post VALUES (3G crossdrilled and grooved £124, or race grooved £119)
Cobra lowering springs £136.94 and the PI lowering springs £104.13
Powerboost £98

Saw this bodykit as well for £1095. Not bad I thought as it isn't too wide boy :D

colVR4
21-11-2003, 12:42 PM
These are the crossdrilled and grooved discs

colVR4
21-11-2003, 12:42 PM
These are the race grooved discs...

colVR4
21-11-2003, 12:43 PM
The powerboost thing for electronic fuel injection??

INSERT INTO post VALUES (Do these things actually work and what BHP do they add?)

colVR4
21-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Here is the cobra kit

colVR4
21-11-2003, 12:47 PM
erm....or maybe its here

zedy1
22-11-2003, 12:10 AM
looks like potn stuff

colVR4
24-11-2003, 10:45 AM
oh yeh!:Eek1:

I have just noticed the potn address at the bottom of the pictures. I'll give the site a try.

Thanks Zedy :D

Brind
24-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Leave the powerboost alone, it will increase fuel usage and could make your engine run too rich.
Uprated discs are a good idea though but as for pricing I don't have a clue.
Stick to makes like Ferodo, Pagid, Mintex etc and you can't really go wrong.

Lowering springs can prove to be annoying with the ever increasing speed humps, down here it is murder! :rolleyes: makes your car look meaner and can add less body roll to your car and improve handling though.

Bodykit is entirely up to you. :D

colVR4
25-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks Brind.

I am not due to change the discs for another 4-5,000 miles so it will give me time to think about it. Loads of people have told me that its worth the upgrade but you get through pads a lot quicker because they act like cheese graters on them. Would you suggest upgrading pads as well, and if so what are some good makes?

I would like to lower the car slightly but like you say with all the speed bumps around now it would probably be murder on the car. :Cry1:

The bodykit isn't going to happen at the moment, because I am happy with the way the car looks as it is!! :cool1:

ritch_w
30-12-2003, 10:47 AM
A sensible -30 or -35mm suspension drop shouldnt cause too much bother on speed bumps should it?
INSERT INTO post VALUES (seeing as the normal galant has a 4x4 ride height!!!?) :-D

KiwiTT
30-12-2003, 07:06 PM
I agree about the drop in ride height. It makes my car look really good. But better brakes are more important. Safety, before looks.

Spirit
30-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Agree with Kiwi and Mark - safety is more important than looks - get the uprated discs first and fit Ferodo DS2500 pads and you won't go wrong. A few of us have this set up in the UK for the VR4 and can get for around £220 all in from one of my contacts.

My VR4 is lowered with HKS springs and Mark is right, it can be a pain in the ass with speedbumps etc, but can't beat the looks and will let you know more about the handling once I get her on a couple of proper track days over the next few months.

Barry has seen the bodykit on that actual car at a show, and he did comment on another thread that the fit was not that good - kit's fault or poor fitter, who knows ? Personally I think you can spend that sort of money on some better mods, or put towards a VR4, but personal taste of course.