PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Highway Robbery

Roadrunner
21-11-2003, 09:32 PM
The Sun is offering free car stickers to support its "Stop the highway robbery" campaign against speed cameras.

There is a picture of a sticker here (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003540140,00.html)

Stickers can be obtained by sending an SAE INSERT INTO post VALUES (min 11cm x 11cm) to:
Sun Highway Robbery Car Sticker, PO Box 6667, Colchester, Essex, CO2 8LQ

Brind
21-11-2003, 10:57 PM
I agree, many people have no intention of breaking the speed limit and yet without realising it exceed by 1 or 2mph and then get fined and gain points, that is just wrong!!!! :mad:
How come countries like Italy and America have actually raised limits to combat accidents? could be because it actually works?? :rolleyes:
Nah... not in the UK, everything is backwards to line the tossers at the top pockets.

How many people have suddenly braked hard in front of you while approaching a camera? accident prevention my arse! :nono:

The sticker would be great to intice the ol' bill to pull you over and check your car.

zedy1
21-11-2003, 11:37 PM
no wonder the could affoed £5m on bushs security :Cry1:

Kieran
22-11-2003, 12:10 AM
The News of the World, the RAC Foundation and Auto Express have launched a similar compaign. Their ethos is as follows:

1. There should be an independent body in charge of siting, monitoring and reviewing camera use.
2. Speed cameras should be used only at proven accident blackspots or outside schools and hostpitals.
3. The police and local authorities should stop using speed cameras as revenue raisers.
4. Traffic Police patrols should be increased to target dangerous driving.
5. A driver education programme that improves speed awareness should be implemented.

For more information, see page 17 of this week's Auto Express.

Roadrunner
22-11-2003, 11:10 AM
That all sounds far too sensible for this government to implement. Now that local government and the police have got £££ signs in front of their eyes, it's going to be very difficult to get them to change, imho ... ;)

Kieran
22-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I agree Brian:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Nick VR4
22-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Yeap I agree here
The amount of times I have seen cars suddenly brake to slow down coz of a camera or they normally see the lines and just slam the anchors on
And sometimes the camera isn't even facing there way

Brind
22-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Nick VR4
Yeap I agree here
The amount of times I have seen cars suddenly brake to slow down coz of a camera or they normally see the lines and just slam the anchors on
And sometimes the camera isn't even facing there way

Even get idiots who reduce their speed by 10mph when they know they're coming up.
We have an extremely busy road near me but for some crazy f... reason they narrowed it to one lane and stuck a bloody camera on it too, the road is meant to be 40mph but because of the camera everyone cruises along doing 30mph.

richieelliott
21-12-2005, 04:40 PM
No more cameras to be put up in the uk so it said on the news the other night

Physician
21-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Yep ........ and Safe Speed UK have advised parents to educate their children NEVER to try and cross a road within 100 yards of a Speed Camera as the roads are particularly dangerous at these points now. (Drivers concentration and sight is averted to his speedometer and NOT the road approaching camera sites). :embarasse /pan