PDA

View Full Version : Indicator stalk test (help needed plz)

MGV6
11-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Ok, so after testing the relay switch the other day, I found nothing wrong with them.

I am now looking to test the indicator stalk.

Looking through past threads, I gather that the indicator stalk has a plug connector to the wiring harness which can be unplugged. By unplugging the connector and then starting the ignition it should determine whether the indicator stalk is responsible for the headlights staying constantly on?

The question is now where do I find this indicator stalk plug connector (and how to unplug it) and if possible if someone can take a photo of it, much appreciated, cheers :)

Paul Beazer
11-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok, so after testing the relay switch the other day, I found nothing wrong with them.

I am now looking to test the indicator stalk.

Looking through past threads, I gather that the indicator stalk has a plug connector to the wiring harness which can be unplugged. By unplugging the connector and then starting the ignition it should determine whether the indicator stalk is responsible for the headlights staying constantly on?

The question is now where do I find this indicator stalk plug connector (and how to unplug it) and if possible if someone can take a photo of it, much appreciated, cheers :)

Hi mate. I would guess you have to remove the steering wheel / lower dashboard to get at it. I've had no cause to do this myself, but if you look HERE (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2629) you should be able to at least get into the right area. From previous experience on other cars, the stalks are usually screwed to the steering column and the multiplug will be close by.
Is it really worth all this hassle just to get rid of the day running lights? If its not causing you any problems (i.e. everything is working normally, but your lights just come on), i'd be inclined to leave well alone.
I suspect someone may have modded your car to do this and there could be a relay hidden away ANYWHERE in the car, other places to look are behind the lower dash area and under the bonnet.

Paul

White Lightning
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Is it really worth all this hassle just to get rid of the day running lights? If its not causing you any problems (i.e. everything is working normally, but your lights just come on), i'd be inclined to leave well alone.
I suspect someone may have modded your car to do this and there could be a relay hidden away ANYWHERE in the car, other places to look are behind the lower dash area and under the bonnet.

Paul

I completely agree with Paul on this ... is it REALLY worth the hastle ?

Nutter_John
11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Gurj , Your spending far too much time worrying about a problem on the car that is not really a problem , it does not stop the car from being used , it is not dangerous , in fact you are probably a lot safer by having the headlights on at all times

So as the good advice mentioned on this post has said , just don't worry unless you smell smoke from an electrical fire

And in the words of Vic Reaves -You wouldn't let lie !!!

Take care and smoke me a kipper i will be back for breakfast

MGV6
11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Its no problem leaving them as it is. Its just that if I was the sell the vehicle in the future, buyers might question what is wrong with the lights.

Lillywotsername
11-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Its no problem leaving them as it is. Its just that if I was the sell the vehicle in the future, buyers might question what is wrong with the lights.
You could just say that it has been and after market safety feature. makes it sound cool then.

MGV6
11-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I suppose so (assuming no one brings along with them RAC or AA for vehicle inspection) :)

Lillywotsername
11-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I suppose so (assuming no one brings along with them RAC or AA for vehicle inspection) :)
But it doesn't make the car dangerous/unsafe in any way. The swedes drive around all the time with their lights perminantly on ( Volvo also has this feature) anyway. And not being funny.... but most AA/ RAC bods probably wouldn't know the first thing about the car anyway, let alone what comes as standerd.

I think you will be ok on that 1 mate:2thumbsup

/edit Ah sorry thought you had a VR4.... still don't think you will have any probs

White Lightning
11-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. As Lilly has said, AA/RAC would not know whether day running lights would be standard equipment or not. Just don't worry about it and concentrate on enjoying the car :thumbsup:

Paul Beazer
11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Just think of it as a USP (Unique selling point) when it comes to say bye bye.

ANTHONY
11-01-2007, 08:14 PM
or take it to sweden

wrdmotorsport
11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
GTZ 101 stop worrying about this, as has been said before some one has fitted a after market day driving lights.

id be worried if it was draining the battery, elec burning ect ect.

ps SGHOM has had these fitted to his car so you are not on your own.:afro: /toycar

MGV6
11-01-2007, 08:53 PM
It doesn't have any after market lights on. The previous owner never fitted any and plus this problem only started happening few months ago. It never used to happen. When I brought the car, this wasn't a problem either. However, it isn't a problem but of course if there was a simple solution to fixing it, I would but it sounds like a expensive and long process so I would just leave the lights as they are :)

Lillywotsername
11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
but it sounds like a expensive and long process so I would just leave the lights as they are :)
Good idea mate........:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

g6acb
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
getting the indicator stalk out isn't mega hard, you dont need to remove the steering column cover as its in 2 bits and its quite flexible plastic - a few screws undone will see you right - and as you say if you disconnect the multiplug, turn car on and the lights still come on the problem lies elsewhere ..... at that point its deffo not worth looking any further

gtz got your pm - if you can wait till the weekend I'll have a look for you if you want - this weekend I'm mostly 'playing cars' anyway..../Grrr

Nutter_John
11-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Or you could just sell the car now don't tell the next owner and buy another car , Toyota's are more reliable than Mitsi's :D:D:D:D

MGV6
11-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Toyota's are more reliable than Mitsi's :D:D:D:D

yeah, I suppose so but Toyota's look sh$t right? :)

Nutter_John
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I was being sarcastic(sp) remember a post you did claiming that Mitsi's are not that reliable .

As for the look of toyotas , they are fine if you close you eyes or squint :D:D

Paul Beazer
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
/ttth /ttth

MGV6
11-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I was being sarcastic(sp) remember a post you did claiming that Mitsi's are not that reliable .

ah yes, that thread. I did create another thread shortly after that one, correcting the mistakes I made. I only posted that thread coz.....coz too many minor niggles with Galantee at the time :)

Mitsui are just as good as any of the other Jap cars. There might be some differences between say Honda, Mitsui & Toyota but that would be down to preferences I think.

White Lightning
11-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Ummm .... what about the Supra :thinking:

Nutter_John
11-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Wayne , Have you not worked out yet that I only post things like that to annoy people :D

And Yes the Supra is 100% in the ugly car group :P /lol

White Lightning
12-01-2007, 10:10 AM
/haz