PDA

View Full Version : SKIING - who's going/who's been.

Brunty
11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
It's that time of year again (at least for those in the Northern Hemisphere).

So skiers/snowboarders have you been? Where did you go? Have you booked something later in the season? I want to know.

Anybody taking their VR4 to a European resort? Seems the ideal vehicle to me; comfy, loads of space, plenty of speed for the autoroute/bahn, AYC will keep you on those hairpins on the mountain passes.

I'm just getting set to book a trip to Jackson Hole (http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/mountain.index.asp) in the states (proper cowboy country), heading out there in the middle of March, can't wait.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/photogallery/edie-b_3.jpg

http://www.clayhaus.net/JH-tetons/images/Jackson-Hole-IMG_0165.jpg

MPBVr4
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Went last year to Tignes Bl**$y cold (-35C) on the glacier. Not booked this year
yet. No snow in Europe I think. May go at the end of the season. Got a week
in Lanzagrotty early Feb booked at the mo.:happy:

WildCards
11-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Went last year to Tignes Bl**$y cold (-35C) on the glacier. Not booked this year
yet. No snow in Europe I think. May go at the end of the season. Got a week
in Lanzagrotty early Feb booked at the mo.:happy:

Fancy Pants

Doing snowy sh!t has never really appealed to me, but i'm off to Le Mans in June and i'll be doing my usual Wales trip in August and mebbe some camping with the kids at some point through the summer.

BraindG
11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I was supposed to be skiing now, but due to leaving last Job that kinda threw snow in the face of that idea. Looks like it will be next year for me now /pan

Jackson Hole sounds quite cool. Dad goes Snowboarding in the states sometimes, he keeps coming back with stories of "mile" wide runs, long long runs and great snow. Might be worth it i think!

Have fun when you go!

Crickle
11-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I was supposed to be skiing now, but due to leaving last Job that kinda threw snow in the face of that idea. Looks like it will be next year for me now /pan

Can i come too? Or is it just for the lads again?:thinking:

Alex
11-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to go skiing - I just know I'd end up breaking something /help

BraindG
11-01-2007, 11:31 PM
next year yes. :iloveyou:

Crickle
12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
next year yes. :iloveyou:

Next year yes I can come or next year its with the lads?! Bloody hell, next year is a long way away when you consider its only jan now! Hmm, think I'll change my boyfriend lol/pan

thehedgepig
12-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I have been skiing or boarding every year for the last 19 years....

Sold all the boarding gear on Ebay in the autumn as it "HURTS TOO MUCH!!!"

I'm flying out on Sat 13th to Club Med All Inclusive in "Val Thorens" for a week, back for a fortnight and then off to the "Marmot Basin, Jasper, Canada" for 10 days and finally off to "Serre Chevalier" on the 24th Feb.

First pick is at Morzine 2001(I'm centre back row with the silly hat!), second pick is what happens when you land wrong from a backside tail grab.... Dislocated shoulder and 4 months on the sick!!!

WildCards
12-01-2007, 11:40 AM
...Hmm, think I'll change my boyfriend lol/pan

Brunty.. go on son, while the irons hot

Brunty
12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Brunty.. go on son, while the irons hot

Cool. I'm twice the man Barry is...

....on the scales sadly :(

bernmc
12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Cool. I'm twice the man Barry is...

Hmmmf. He's a two-timing barsteward - Derek will be heartbroken :bigcry: .

I have a day at the snowdome in Telford (Xmas pressie) learning how to snowboard... /cue jaws music

stuey
12-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Came back from 5 days in austria skiing/working in St Johann (near Kitzbuhel) last friday. Been going there 10 years on & off. Snow a bit lacking, had a couple of good days, snowed tues & weds, but higher resorts will be ok, over 2000 metres no prob. US seems a good idea if you can handle the flight.
Probably gonna over there again in late feb/early march.

Snow bikes good bet, if you don't ski or board but wanna enjoy the mountain

Good luck with the snowboard lessons, DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS OUT WHEN YOU FALL !!!!!

bernmc
12-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Good luck with the snowboard lessons, DON'T PUT YOUR HANDS OUT WHEN YOU FALL !!!!!
:oULP:o

Lillywotsername
12-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Cool. I'm twice the man Barry is.......on the scales sadly :(
You are just a big cuddley bear Steve..:iloveyou:

GroundControl
14-01-2007, 05:20 AM
I'm in Canada for a month, so far been skiing at Lake Louise, Sunshine, Banff Norquay and now at Whistler :D They've had the most snowfall at Whistler in Nov/Dec since 1994 or 1996 or something crazy :2thumbsup

I'm trying to attach some pics but this wifi is being naff... http://www.sam.net.nz/gallery/v/trips/canada2006/ has some if anyone's interested...

Brunty
14-01-2007, 11:36 AM
GC > A lot of those views bring back fond memories especially Vancouver which I love. At the moment I can only dream about a month in the mountains (although I've done it before and will do it again).

If you get the time when travelling between Whistler and Vancouver take 1/2 hour at Breckendale to watch the bald eagles - they're an amazing sight and when there are large numbers of them (+30) I could spend all day watching them fish in the river.

Have a great time.

:2thumbsup

BraindG
14-01-2007, 12:02 PM
A pic of me, the Slowboarder is my dad, at 58 :2thumbsup

Clubvr4, goes skiing. :2thumbsup

Brunty
01-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Early on the numbers going on this trip wilted from 3 to 2 when one of the lads faltered under pressure from his pregnant wife.

Now I've just heard that a rugby injury which was originally diagnosed as a dead arm requires my remaining ski buddy to have an operation on vertibrae in his neck! Ruling him out as well the selfish bastard.

Looks like a lonesome holiday for me then :(

Brunty
01-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Any more news/updates/tales from anyone else?

MPBVr4
01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Most of my family are out in Italy, Courmayer, this week. Snowed every day
35 cms on Monday alone, loads of powder, having a great time by the sound of it. Left me and my eldest at home to earn the pennies/Grrr

VR-04-TT
01-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I've never seen snow :(

Brunty
01-03-2007, 09:42 PM
I've never seen snow :(

Hehe - we had quite a bit of snow at the start of the month, there are some Aussies in the flats where I live; they went absolutely mental - so I guess they hadn't either!

Built a very competent snowman as well as having a massive snowball fight.

Brunty
20-03-2007, 01:27 AM
In Jackson Hole right now!

Sadly we need more snow - I understand there might be some spare back home in the UK?

Lillywotsername
20-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Have a great holiday Steve......try not to break anything.

Brunty
28-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Not great as skiing holidays go - conditions saw to that and the resort was very quiet until the Snowmobile Hill Climb Festival came to town - then it all changed!

Cowboys - guns - alcohol - knives - Snowmobilers (Jackson folk call them 'Slednecks' for a reason).

....quite simply don't mix!

The locals had loads of stories - in one instance a knife was apparently pulled on doorstaff because their club had a sign up saying no neon (a favourite of the Slednecks).

With better snow Jackson would be fantastic skiing, as it was it made for alright entertainment. Here's to next winter!

Wouter
28-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Nice to have you back Brunty! I was wondering what had happened to you!

Brunty
18-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Happy to report that Whistler (British Columbia) is looking great this season with approx. 2 feet of new snow during my visit last week.

Great skiing to be had on what was open (many runs and several lifts not yet opened because it was still early season).

Have fun if you going or planning on going to the mountains any time soon.

miller
18-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I board at least twice a year, drove to St Gervais Les Bains last crimbo, very little snow which was a bit sad!

Sadly this year may prove too much as im getting married in May, i may sneak a long weekend in though.

Brunty, when you looking at going? and where. Its about a 12-14 hour drive to the good resorts. in a vr4....make it 10

Mike

some images from over the years

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/miller_63/Pamporovo%202006/Snowboard.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b319/miller_63/Pamporovo%202006/Pamp2.jpg

and vid from last year

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-7539192427880392392&q=anna+%26+mike+in+st+gervais&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

MPBVr4
18-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm off to Alpe D'Huez for a week on Saturday. Great snow at the moment. About 120cms mid mountain.

Whistler sounded great, Steve I've only skied in Europe

Great pics "miller" I love trees when out skiing. Thats the only issue with Alpe D'Huez, it's above the tree line.

GroundControl
19-12-2007, 01:47 AM
I would love to get back to Canada again this year, unfortunately isn't not cheap from this end of the world...

This is what we had to contend with during our season here in NZ last winter... :thinking:

Brunty
21-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Brunty, when you looking at going?

I've been. I got back last weekend. My next planned trip is early March to La Plagne although I'd never rule out a trip in between.

Great pics "miller" I love trees when out skiing.

You'd have loved this Whistler trip then Malc. I was lucky enough to spend a day skiing the powder on Blackcombs gladed runs with Martin Bell.

He even managed to keep up!

I would love to get back to Canada again this year, unfortunately isn't not cheap from this end of the world...

I don't think it's cheap for anyone now. I don't know what the exchange to the NZ dollar is but I was paying over £3 a pint (often more). I used to justify the expensive flights to Canada on the basis that day to day living was cheap, sadly this isn't the case anymore and means I'm unlikely to return for a long time.

ANTHONY
21-12-2007, 10:02 PM
thats one thing i'v never done but i would like to go just for the cold weather

MPBVr4
21-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Leaving for the Airport in about an hour Can't wait /Banana

This time tomorrow I will have been on the piste and hopefully be on the pi$$:runkest:

g6acb
22-12-2007, 12:01 AM
This time tomorrow I will have been on the piste and hopefully be on the pi$$:runkest:

Enjoy......

This time tommorow I will have been on the pi$$ and on the pi$$ :runkest: :runkest:

MPBVr4
29-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Just got in after a week on the piste:thinking: ............in the French Alps. Had a brilliant time great snow and wall to wall sunshine - all week. Totally nackered now as we had to leave the resort at 4 o'clock this morning.

Will catch up on a weeks worth of posts tomorrow.

Brunty
11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Back from La Plagne in the French Alps.

Conditions weren't great, the snow that fell during the week was just enough to make the pisted skiing a bit more fun. Access to the glacier was opened at the end of the week and the conditions here were better. Treacherous ice on the lower slopes back into the village we were staying (Montalbert).

Recommended -> www.cgski.co.uk

MPBVr4
11-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Pleased you've had good time Steve. I've heard La Plagne is good. That is link is useful.

My son has just come back from Andorra reporting the snow was disappearing
fast. Seems common throughout europe although I did here Bulgaria had loads of the stuff.

miller
04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Well its that time of the year again where the snow fans holidays are looming. I missed out last season due to my wedding. Oh boy im gonna make up for it, gonna try and get a couple of long weekends out there along with my week in Jan.
So far Europe has had record snow fall this year which is good, Its just started in Bansko where im heading on Jan 10th.

So anyone off again this year? Where when etc?

Not excited in the least! Two weeks booze up in Ireland, back to work for a week then off again with my board!

Mike

pitslayer
04-12-2008, 04:09 PM
not me, i can ski up to a point, ie i can go in a straight line and sometimes turn but i cant stop, and if i fall over i cant get back up /lol

MPBVr4
04-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Doesn't look as though I'm going to make it this year/Grrr .
Both son's are off to Andorra boarding with a gang of lads, , straight after Christmas.

miller
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Doesn't look as though I'm going to make it this year/Grrr .
Both son's are off to Andorra boarding with a gang of lads, , straight after Christmas.

Well Andorra is already well into its record breaking snowfall and its only just turned into December :speechles good choice they made there :scholar:

stuey
04-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Was hoping to get out to Austria at some point, not sure when yet...

alps vr4
04-12-2008, 09:03 PM
i'm driving my vr4 to morzine in the alpes SNOWBOARDING in jan for 2 weeks oh yeah!!!!!
:evilgrin:

miller
04-12-2008, 10:49 PM
i'm driving my vr4 to morzine in the alpes SNOWBOARDING in jan for 2 weeks oh yeah!!!!!
:evilgrin:

oooh make sure you take loads of pics!

miller
01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
So who is going this year?

Im off next week to Austria, Soll. Havent booked yet as its a last minute jobby and as im travelling alone i need to get the best deal possible to negate the single person supplement. (thats another rant for another day)

Meeting mates out there so should be a good lads week away

Woohooooo

andydckent
05-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Planning on heading to Chamonix for a week end of Feb - beginning of March. Went same time last year and had a wonderful time.

I am surprised no one here has mentioned skiing at home though in Scotland or the small club areas in the North of England. Cairngorm are reporting over 1.20 m of fresh snow top to bottom over the last week and claiming the best skiing in the world at the moment. I plan to be up there the end of this week. Took the Legnum up to Glenshee last year, it is a superb vehicle for ski trips, just make sure you keep the petrol topped up!

www.winterhighland.com

Andy

miller
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Im keeping an eye on glenshee and cairngorm, sadly too close to Christmas this time for me and subsequent ski holiday.

Anyways, isnt it mad that booking for two people is hundreds of pounds cheaper than a single! So currently if anyone wants to join me it will cost them £190 or even cheaper!!!!

As it looks i will be checking in alone and claiming swine flu got my partner! LOL

Mike

MPBVr4
05-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Im keeping an eye on glenshee and cairngorm, sadly too close to Christmas this time for me and subsequent ski holiday.

Anyways, isnt it mad that booking for two people is hundreds of pounds cheaper than a single! So currently if anyone wants to join me it will cost them £190 or even cheaper!!!!

As it looks i will be checking in alone and claiming swine flu got my partner! LOL

Mike

Went to Soll many years ago. Great skiing this time of year and some nice
apres ski bars for the evenings.

Doesn't seem to be many late booking hols on the net this year Mike. Where are looking?

miller
05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Doesn't seem to be many late booking hols on the net this year Mike. Where are looking?

All the usual operators, Crystal Ski and Direct Ski. All others seem to operate off the backs of the main players!

If you know of any where better please please direct me! :hat:

MPBVr4
05-01-2010, 04:19 PM
www.igluski.com. Seems reasonable..........so I'm told.

I'm not going this year but my boy and his partner are off to Andorra at the of the month and my other half and daughter are trying find somewhere the week after next

miller
05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
www.igluski.com. Seems reasonable..........so I'm told.

I'm not going this year but my boy and his partner are off to Andorra at the of the month and my other half and daughter are trying find somewhere the week after next

They were the more expensive online, and when i called them wouldnt even entertain any more discounts or haggling so promptly told them where to go!

Ive just this last minute booked with Crystal Ski. Worked out at £185 per person. So it works out about right if i had booked say three to six months ago with someone else going.

So all in all i will have two breakfasts, two dinners and two airplane seats for £400 cheaper than what i was being quoted for a single holiday to the nearest town to soll, let alone in the resort itself!

Mad i tell you, just mad!

Try icelolly.com after trying all the main players direct for the best bargains.

stuey
05-01-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm off to Austria on 17th, driving over for 8 days and visiting 5 different resorts, St Anton, Waidring, Gaschurn & St Margrethen(just over the border in Switzerland).... and actually working for 2 nights in Soll at Whisky Muhle (18th & 25th)

Miller, let me know if you're there at thoses times, can get you into the best bars free/cheap.. !!

miller
05-01-2010, 06:17 PM
sorry Stuey i return on the 16th!

stuey
05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
sorry Stuey i return on the 16th!

ah.. no prob... have a good un'...
Snow's looking ok, hopefully be better in the next week too... !