PDA

View Full Version : Manual legnum shuddering at low speed

nzdude24
11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
every once in a while, whie low speed manovuring or stuck in traffic, if i slowly release the clutch the car gives a horrible shudder before fully engauging. It only does it sometimes and seems to happen also when the vehicle is in hard lock and changing direction, Eg when you reverse out of a carpark and turn opposite lock to leave it gives a pretty good shudder, but only sometimes!. I dont think it is the clutch that seems mint, has anyone else got any ideas, i thought maybe the diffs were binding up and grabbing

mpau009
12-01-2007, 01:19 AM
every once in a while, whie low speed manovuring or stuck in traffic, if i slowly release the clutch the car gives a horrible shudder before fully engauging. It only does it sometimes and seems to happen also when the vehicle is in hard lock and changing direction, Eg when you reverse out of a carpark and turn opposite lock to leave it gives a pretty good shudder, but only sometimes!. I dont think it is the clutch that seems mint, has anyone else got any ideas, i thought maybe the diffs were binding up and grabbing

If its a series of violent shudders i think i have the same problem, i'm not 100% what it is, but i'm looking to change the clutch when i can, some subarus have a similar problem which i think might be related, apparently the pressure plate can deform or not apply evenly, which causes the clutch plates to skip and jump, which creates hot spots on the flywheel.

I get it when the clutch just starts to engage, but if i put it in again and rev and slip it a bit more it gets going, but its always there.

I'd be keen to know what yours is, hopefully someone will be able to help more.

SimonNZ
12-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, I have the exact same 'feature' on my manual leggy, not sure if it's something wrong, but if I release and engage again it usually engages properly.

Paul Beazer
12-01-2007, 08:14 AM
My V6 does this when cold sometimes too! Dont think its anything to worry about, unless it gets worse!

Rikki
12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Yup mine used to do that too, although when I got the gearbox repaired and the new clutch hasnt happened since. But no doubt it's time will come /pan

Subaru ETA
15-01-2007, 09:35 AM
clutch problem dude. its like when your brakes shudder....it cause by excessive lateral run out. in other words things are wearing unevenly... mike (mpau009) is correct in saying its the flywheel. it will have high spots so when you get the clutch done get the flywheel skimmed too.

g6acb
15-01-2007, 11:39 AM
/Wyhy me too on a 2 litre manual - only intermitantly and usually only when cold, its a case of dip the clutch back in and try again sometimes

I asked around / searched t'internet and it would appear there are two possibilities -

1) covered above - uneven wear / chunks missing on the friction material caused by either the pressure plate of flywheel

2) dodgy seal letting gearbox oil through into the clutch

the second is unlikley unless the clutch is acually slipping

In my case if its really bad (rarely) giving the clutch a bit of abuse will 'freshen' up the friction material and all will be ok for quite a while - no doubt at the expense of cluch life :thinking: tbh its something I would have adressed sooner but Tax / Insurance / 54k service / xmas / brakes etc have all hit me in the last couple of months....

This month I am mostly saving pennies for a trip to Stoke