PDA

View Full Version : AK Parking Ticket Laws, anyone clued up?

mpau009
12-01-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm a little annoyed now. I feel a spiel coming on..

I have parked in town at Auckland Uni for the past four years, paid god knows how much in coupons, and had a series of small tickets ($12) that i always pay.

I had come up with a little scheme to rob the attendant of their oh so valuable time, namely i save all the coupons i have from a 12 week semester and leave them all over the dash board (Pay and Display right..:baby: )

Which meant that if they want to give me a ticket thay have to read 40 odd coupons before they can move on:2thumbsup

Now eventually i sometimes did, sometimes didn't, buy coupons, so eventually i got issued a ticket for $40 for failing to display.... BUT i had the coupon for that day:scholar:.

Now,, fair cop i was 7 minutes over when the ticket was issued, so i would have paid the 12bucks.. But, not the $40, but since this was the middle of my final years exams, i ignored the reminder notice./pan

I got around to complaining a few days ago, and got this response:

"as the matter was transferred by way of statutory process to the department of courts, we are unable to assist further with this matter."

"an additional court-processing fee of $30 has been incurred. Please send payment for the infringement fee and the additional court processing costs to the collections business unit"

Now this was a wrongly issued ticket, if i have to pay court costs then so be it, but now they wont reconsider the initial infringement:thinking:.

Is there anything requiring you to clear your dash of old coupons? the ticket was upright and visible through the windscreen, i think i could cover the whole damm car in newspaper and dead fish if i wanted to.... as long as the coupon is visible.

Am i wrong? What should i do now, cause frankly i don't have $70 for a ticket at the moment, and why should there be a time limit on my actions for a wrongly issued (and therefore a big hassle) ticket.

Or am i just being a d!ck??:happy:

Kenneth
12-01-2007, 04:52 AM
I suspect that if it goes to court and you are found to be in the right (you have the ticket that says you were allowed to park there) then you wont have to pay anything.

if you are found to be at fault, you pay the fine plus the court costs.

if you make enough hassle, they will probably just let it go as it costs more to process than they can possibly make.

My father was given a ticket for going through an orange light in rush hour at the bottom of sylvan ave. Now, orange light being "Stop if it is safe to do so" implies that it is a judgement call. My father said it was wet, and in rush hour it is expected that you don't stop at sylvan ave, so he was concerned about causing a pile-up.

Anyway, they said it would go to court, so being fairly annoyed he decided to take it all the way.
To cut a short story even shorted, eventually there was a cock up and they said he didn't turn up to his court appearance, he supplied evidence that he sent in a letter that didn't require (said he was pleading not guilty) and hasn't heard anything since.

if you are not guilty of the "offence" then go to court and do whatever. if you are a student, its not like you cant afford a couple of hours to turn up in court ;)

/edit: btw, good idea with all the tickets... akl parking wardens can be wan**rs. if you dont want to pay parking though, get a motorcycle

mpau009
12-01-2007, 05:48 AM
if you make enough hassle, they will probably just let it go as it costs more to process than they can possibly make.

if you are not guilty of the "offence" then go to court and do whatever. if you are a student, its not like you cant afford a couple of hours to turn up in court ;)

Yeah, i'm considering it, i'm certainly not going to let it go, the thing is though they say in their letter:

"I acknowledge that you had a reciept displayed at the time the ticket was issued, however only the most current reciept shuold have been displayed, the others should have been discarded"

Now to me that first part sounds open and shut, but i was wondering if there might be some rule to stop people doing what i did, i cant find anything, but id hate to turn up and look like an a$$:happy:

Any ideas on where to look? Also since i waited too long to complain, does that mean they can fine me regardless?

:thinking: That $70 is my booze money so i'm not gonna give it up easily, and yes i have plenty of time to be a pain:pimp2:

Gly
12-01-2007, 06:35 AM
http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/legislation/penalty.html

basically under parking offences

"All other parking offences $40"

as i see it this is what your being done for,

basically because you tried to deceive the parking warden, by having extra old tickets in your window.

there may be no definative law againest it, but the warden may have been having a bad day. your lucky you didnt get done for overtime aswell.

its like driving with an obsucred number plate to try get out of speeding tickets?

basically if you go to court, you may win? but that will depend on the judge,

if you loose its gonna cost you another $150 in court fees!

so $220 worst case, which you will have to pay.

Subaru ETA
13-01-2007, 12:36 AM
my girlfreind got a ticket at auckland uni parked on alfred st is it? the one with the libary and stuff...anyway all the other cars were angle parked so she had no choice to do the same. she then got a parking ticket coz you are supposed to paralel park there. i wrote to the tosers and asked them to show me where it say you HAVE to paralel park coz there aint no signs or lines.

Have heard nothing. so just give them ****!

Lucas
13-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah it would seem as though you were deceiving the parking warden. In saying that though you obvioudly have proof of your parking time and the time the ticket was issued. I suppose you have to weigh up the feasibility of fighting it and risking losing and paying more.

I was lucky once, got a $40 ticket and started swearing my head off... untill I found they'd taken down my number plate incorrectly. 1 digit wrong so I screwed it up and threw it away :iloveyou:

mpau009
13-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah it would seem as though you were deceiving the parking warden.:

Yeah i think i'll have a bit more of a moan, i mean i really thought it was a good scheme, the coupons were always visible, and i have had another one overturned in 2004 because i had the coupon, its just that i left it past the date to complain this time, which seems like your instantly ****outofluck so i'll see how it goes on monday when i ring the courts people.

Would it say specifically that the ticket was for decieving? cause it clearly says for failure to display a valid coupon..

And Gly cheers for the link, thats what iv been looking for:2thumbsup

Subaru ETA
13-01-2007, 11:13 PM
you had the correct ticket so if you can show that to the courts with the time and date on it what can they do? you have been ticketed for not showing a correct ticket so that make the parking ticket null and void i would imagine! and beside how would they know/remember that you had more than one ticket on your dash?

mpau009
13-01-2007, 11:18 PM
beside how would they know/remember that you had more than one ticket on your dash?

Exactly, i think thats what i'll do then. :2thumbsup

Gly
13-01-2007, 11:30 PM
the ticket system is all electronic now. not like the good old, note pad days.

they would probabilly have to note down what the "other offence was"

oh and the fact they wrote

"I acknowledge that you had a reciept displayed at the time the ticket was issued, however only the most current reciept shuold have been displayed, the others should have been discarded"

just goes to show that they do know there was more than one ticket on display,

at the end of the day,

it will come down to your word againest his,

and the law is always on the side of the goverment :(
guilty until you can prove your innocense :(

sucks to be the poor student, been there done that,
i racked up close to $1200 in fines in the period of 3 months....
had to pay it off at $40 week....

havent had a fine since (over 3 years ago now, thank god!)

mpau009
14-01-2007, 12:22 AM
i racked up close to $1200 in fines in the period of 3 months....
had to pay it off at $40 week....

:5shots: ouch..

Cant change my mind though, if i have to wear costs then thats that, although it would be a kick in the goolies, but for me i just can't bear to let them get one over me, 4 years of dealing with these losers i want to go out on a high note:thinking:

I'll keep you posted:scholar:

d i c k i e s
14-01-2007, 05:31 AM
very good!...

mpau009
06-03-2007, 06:15 AM
2/3/2007

"upon receipt of your application to correct an irregularity under section 78B of The Summary Proceedings Act, 1957 the Registrar has given due consideration to this request. This fine has been withdrawn from the Court records. The matter is now closed."

Woohoo, to$$ers, id just about forgotten about this, but now its all cleared up, and i aint payin squat:afro:

...Which is good because i already spent it on the MAP2:scholar:

Took a little while to find out what to do and where to go etc, and i had to sign the form at the courthouse infront of a JP, but for saving $70..:2thumbsup

bradc
06-03-2007, 06:28 AM
haha nice!

Subaru ETA
06-03-2007, 09:03 AM
good stuff! fight the man!

d i c k i e s
06-03-2007, 11:33 PM
awesome bro. so i can give all my tickets to you then?