PDA

View Full Version : How many VR-4's are there in NZ?

Brind
22-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Come on folks!! you seem to be failing to enter the 'How many are there?' Poll.

Please fill in the Poll HERE (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=510)

tunes
23-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Answered this poll months ago. I went out on a 30 min drive today and saw 3-4 other VR-4's within 10Km.

Brind
23-11-2003, 07:10 PM
3-4! :eek:
Hope they don't get that common here.:Cry1:

tunes
23-11-2003, 08:27 PM
Only one of those was 97 or newer. I see a large number of older VR-4's on the roads.

Nimma
23-11-2003, 08:30 PM
Lots. You can now get legnum VR4s with around 100ks for about 12-13 INSERT INTO post VALUES (~4-4.5k quid)

zedy1
23-11-2003, 10:30 PM
thats cheap weres that from m8

KiwiTT
23-11-2003, 11:17 PM
checkout www.autopoint.co.nz or www.auto.co.nz"

See the prices and then get them down by $2-3,000 by negotiation.

Mine was intially listed at $18,995 and I got it for around $15,000

nz_vr4_nz
03-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Hey KiwiTT Im from NZ too and looking at buy I VR4 in a month, got the dealers looking in Japan at the moment(takes a months for shipping and to bring up to nZ standard)

Just interested when u brought you VR4, what year it is and what was the km's, cause $15k is a wicked price to pay...the car delear said that I would be looking at about $18000 for a 97 galant manual, with 68000km on the clock, does this sound right>???my limit is $16000 so he suggested we look around the 80,000km mark

Do all VR4's have bucket seats?
and should I ask for a type S or type V(I dont know the difference)

KiwiTT
03-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Are you sure about the manual ? The 5 speed Tip-tronic is pretty quick about .5 sec difference. You should take a Tiptronic for a test drive. It is really responsive. Changes down on downslope. Do not think that this this is your run of the mill "Automatic"

And I have read some horror stories about clutches in a VR-4. Have a search on this site for the word "manual".

A tiptronic is less likely to be trashed anyway.

Yes $15K is a good price, I spent $2K a couple months later on a full "D" service; Cambelts, Sparkplug, AYC Fluids, All belts, All Fluids replaced.

NOTE: Ultra-VR4 is selling his Tiptronic for $14K on this site.

As for spec see our resources page, which includes a buyers guide.

Nimma
08-03-2004, 04:29 AM
The manual has been trouble free for me. Extra 20hp over the pre-facelift models. Apparently it has the same transmission as the evo5 so is pretty tough.

koschakm
19-03-2004, 09:25 AM
If I had my time again, I would have held out for a manual. The tiptronics trash themselves. Mine did so at only 30,000 kms! One car dealer I know will not stock a Mitsubishi tiptronic ever again. Too much of a problem!

Cheers

Pescha
19-03-2004, 10:17 PM
I personally like the auto, as I do alot of state highway travelling between Auckland and Hamilton. I think like most things though, if you maintain your vehicle with services etc all should be pretty sweet! Next to my husbands work (mechanic shop) was a 1.8 Mitsi motor (the ones you can get in legnums) in a RVR. The owner brought it in as the lifters were all ganged up. Hubby was chatting with him (as he does our VR4 services) and the mechanic said that in NZ this is a very common problem in most vehicles, as over in Japan they have so much crap in their petrol and oil etc, that if the car yards just import them in and spit them out without fully servicing them first before they sell them to the consumer, the consumer thinks the car is sweet till the next service. (If they have a service plan).... So go fiqure... To me if you maintain your vehicle (no matter what make or model) to the best of your ability, the car hopefully will treat you right....

Just my 10 pennys....

Have a good weekend guys...

Pescha!

jtfleming
20-03-2004, 06:21 AM
A tiptronic is less likely to be trashed anyway.

Not Nessesarily!!!

A dealer told me the Japanese rev the car in N then throw it into D, imagine what it does to the inside of the box............

newsboyben
24-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Manual all the way!!!!! I bought my 97 vr4 at 64km 5spd auto with all the extras...type s....2 days latr the auto shat itself i've just done a complete conversion including Gearbox,lightened flywheel,1000hp triple plate clutch(last for eva)...new ecu ....took out the ayc and tcl....and its soo much more of a car then the auto and feels great on the road and should be good for mid 13's...@ 1 bar.....its dumped on 18's with BOV,adjust boost,exhaust and filter,intercooler sprayers plus heaps more....unfortunatley I'm building a house soon and will hav to sell my dream vr4 :( ......./so if anyone knows someone who wants to buy a mint mildly worked vr4......let me know.....full service history from 20km...and over $6000 in reciepts possibly one of the best examples around..

MunkyWrench
08-09-2004, 08:49 AM
I personally like the auto, as I do alot of state highway travelling between Auckland and Hamilton. I think like most things though, if you maintain your vehicle with services etc all should be pretty sweet! Next to my husbands work (mechanic shop) was a 1.8 Mitsi motor (the ones you can get in legnums) in a RVR. The owner brought it in as the lifters were all ganged up. Hubby was chatting with him (as he does our VR4 services) and the mechanic said that in NZ this is a very common problem in most vehicles, as over in Japan they have so much crap in their petrol and oil etc, that if the car yards just import them in and spit them out without fully servicing them first before they sell them to the consumer, the consumer thinks the car is sweet till the next service. (If they have a service plan).... So go fiqure... To me if you maintain your vehicle (no matter what make or model) to the best of your ability, the car hopefully will treat you right....

Just my 10 pennys....

Have a good weekend guys...

Pescha!

sorry i have to object, its not japanese fuel that gums up the lifters, its new zealand fuel.
japanese fuel is (round a bout) 100 octane and 15 parts per million sulfur content, whereas new zealands quality is 500+ ppm sulfur content.
hope they do bring it under 50ppm soon :).

1800cc legnum awd's go from economy cars to fuel guzzling slugs on new zealand fuel (those GDI engines). DONT BUY THEM. hehe.

Also, *referring to another post* throwing an auto from N to D at revs? oh my.... please dont. it is not the way to launch an auto.

im hoping to buy a *red* vr4 (with the lovely two tone leather interior, mmm) auto soon, and when cash arrises go the auto to manual conversion route.
please discuss.

bluey
15-06-2005, 04:51 AM
I've had no majors at the mo. Noisy lifters Well anyway whenever my car gets a wee bit noisy I throw in GODS GIFT TO MITSI'S - Promar! That stuff rocks.

Amber

tahuna breaks
20-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone in NZ, im new to this forum, a fellow kiwi of course! I got my Legnum VR-4 about 3 weeks ago with 42000K certified for $11,000 from a dealer!! Exhaust and air filter at the moment, loving it, goes hard and stoked with manual, wouldnt be any other way...

AllBeItMine
21-07-2005, 03:13 AM
i remember when there was a mitsi recall about 18months ago it affected 343 VR4's in NZ...

and that was only the auto ones with the optional automatic stability control function fitted.

so i would hazzard to guess that there are probably around 5-6000 vr4's in NZ...

wcur008
01-08-2005, 06:19 AM
thousands and thousands

blklblvr4
25-04-2006, 11:23 AM
gotta have a clutch or your just not drivin...