PDA

View Full Version : new rear disc

pitslayer
15-01-2007, 11:02 PM
wheres the best place to get a new rear disc for 97 pre facelift V6 non turbo galant....
changed my wheels the other day, back to my F1s so im no longer on ditch finders lol, and noticed the pass rear disc brake is rusty as hell....but only on the outter and inner parts...
say the disc from hub to top f the disc is 3 inches tall...im only using an inch in the middle of that makes any sense......
basically i need a new one, wheres the cheapest place to get them and new pads only need to do one side

Wodjno
15-01-2007, 11:05 PM
wheres the best place to get a new rear disc for 97 pre facelift V6 non turbo galant....
changed my wheels the other day, back to my F1s so im no longer on ditch finders lol, and noticed the pass rear disc brake is rusty as hell....but only on the outter and inner parts...
say the disc from hub to top f the disc is 3 inches tall...im only using an inch in the middle of that makes any sense......
basically i need a new one, wheres the cheapest place to get them and new pads only need to do one side

Before you look at getting new discs ?? I think you need to be asking why they are only wearing that part of the disc ?? Best take a look at the calipers and slide pins... It don't sound like there doing there job properly:inquisiti May just need a good overhaul :happy:

g6acb
15-01-2007, 11:09 PM
only changing one side?? the rears dont do as much braking as the front but it is still recommended to change both sides or you may find you really do have a 'ditch finder', goodyear F1's or not

also sounds like the caliper maybe sticking too - loads to search on that

rear brakes standard on all UK 2.0 and 2.5 models so loads of places / makes to choose from......

pitslayer
17-01-2007, 02:02 PM
the other disc is perfect, will obviously find out why only that part is being used, but i do need a new disc, as its proper rust, not surface rust....i think it is a sticking caliper, as ive noticed my brake pedals getting very stiff at the moment, with little movement in it....and i cant afford 2 discs, at the moment. i could look for second hand discs, but lets face it, thats just silly.....i know the other disc is fine, theres hardly any wear on it what so ever

Nick Mann
17-01-2007, 02:17 PM
It is not at all recommended to change just one set of brakes on an axle. Different braking rates on the same axle can have horrible effects on the stability of the car, especially when you don't want it (braking hard, braking in the wet etc.) Buy a full set and do the lot - you won't save much money buying one disc anyway, and pads always come in a pack of four because of that exact reason. Check the operation of the calipers on both sides whilst doing the job.

Honestly, one wheel brake changes are not a good idea!

Kieran
17-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Backing up all above - if you want to simulate unbalanced braking, try adding 5psi to one rear tyre and letting say 12psi out the other... then try a sharp stop - You just wouldn't, would you?

Same goes here... I know it sounds a bit arsey, but you mustn't change brakes in singles... It's just asking for your car to line up a target on the scenery. I know this has already been said but it really is that important.:inquisiti

Paul Beazer
17-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Mine have a similar problem and i think it was done to sticking / stiff calipers.
I took a grinding stone to the rusted outer and inner bit and tried to flatten out the pads a bit, it deffo helped and im getting more even wear patterns on the disks again.
As others have said always change the axle set when doing disk / pads.