PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak?

Nick Mann
23-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I opened my bonnet today and found something which may be mildly disturbing.

Anyone got any comments?

Nick Mann
23-11-2003, 11:18 PM
It appears to be coming from the join between the metal and rubber pipe as circled. I think I am right in saying that this has something to do with the turbos, but never having owned a car with them I am not familiar with how they are set up.

Nick Mann
23-11-2003, 11:19 PM
It doesn't look horrendous at the moment, but I will be keeping an eye on it over the next few days/weeks anyway.

zedy1
23-11-2003, 11:25 PM
thats right it is the turbo pipes, theres alot of pressure on the pipe there it could be the jublee clip is tight enough or theres a split in the pipe, this is not good for the engine so get it checked out :nono:

Nick VR4
23-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Check the jubilee clip on that hose it may just need tightening

So it more a air leak that an oil leak
Clean the dirt off bonnet too will give you more signs if leaking

Brind
23-11-2003, 11:43 PM
As said, it looks like the clip could be loose and the turbo pressure is blowing out.
Can't quite tell from the picture but it appears to have marked the solid pipes too, check to see if it is coming from the rubber pipe which hopefully it is, otherwise a weld or a crack has appeard in the solid pipe.

bonsai boy
23-11-2003, 11:56 PM
my intercooler pipe had a split in it and i was loseing
all my boost .but did not harm the car. that pipe cost
£70 pounds . but yours has prob come lose on the clip

enigma
24-11-2003, 08:49 AM
If its coming from the turbo pipes I would maybe be a little concerned.......it looks to have oil in it which is not really supposed to be there.

Its worth undoing it and rubbing your finger round the inside to see if its oily and nasty. If it is it could mean turbo trouble is imminent, if not then the black is coming from somewhere else!

BraindG
24-11-2003, 09:31 AM
id have to agree with dave aswell, there shouldnt be any dirty air coming out of there..

zedy1
24-11-2003, 09:38 AM
i think due to age and milage its not too bad if theres abit of oil there as long as its not too much

BraindG
24-11-2003, 10:48 AM
yeah, but im assuming this oily mark on the bonnet has only just happened.. which would suggest there more than just a little bit..:eek:

Roadrunner
24-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Are you sure it's oil and coming from the turbo pipes? I have a similar mark under my bonnet which was made by the guy who applied the underseal to my car INSERT INTO post VALUES (underseal overspray ;) ).

Brian

Nick Mann
24-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going with Dave first - when I get home, the hose is coming off and I will see how much oil/dirt is inside the pipe. The thing which was concerning me was not so much that the pipe may be loose, but that maybe there should be no oil coming from there! It sounds like you are thinking the same.

As to the age/mileage thing, it is less than 2 1/2 years old, and has only done 21k. On the plus side, it still has a full warranty, so I have a certain amount of peace of mind.

I'll let you know what I find later.

Nick Mann
24-11-2003, 09:57 PM
Good news! The oil is not coming from inside the pipe! Hopefully you can see that from the photo, but I should really have moved the small hose out of the foreground so you could see properly.

It is definitely greasy in texture, so not underseal, but the bad news is I can't really tell where it's coming from. It could be that it has been there since I bought the car INSERT INTO post VALUES (less than 2 months ago) and I haven't noticed it because I have always been looking at the engine and not the bonnet.

I have now cleared the oil from the insulation, so I can now tell how bad it is.