PDA

View Full Version : Going from Auto to manual

JForce
24-11-2003, 12:12 AM
with my tiptronic, what are the "rules" for shifting? Can I switch to tiptronic on the move, or should I wait until Im stopped to switch over, and vice versa?

zedy1
24-11-2003, 12:17 AM
you could switch over to anymode when you want to m8

Spirit
24-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Spot on Mo - anytime you like - also if you did not know, when in tiptronic the box will select first automatically for you when you come to a stop

JForce
24-11-2003, 12:31 AM
Thanks guys. I knew it switched to first at a stop.

Also, not that I would ever do it, but what about shifting from 3rd to 2nd at high revs? Will the computer not allow it? Im not gonna try it, but would like to know that I cant accidentally rev the **** out of it by downchanging!:D

zedy1
24-11-2003, 12:37 AM
dont thimk it would m8 but not too sure

Spirit
24-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Not sure about that one mate and I am damn sure I aint gonna test it to see :D

KiwiTT
24-11-2003, 12:42 AM
For straight acceleration, letting the box do it for you is better.
For mid range acceleration, you can lock the gears it is in for some added control, however, it kicks down very fast.

The box is just so good at knowing what you want to do, leaving it in drive.

Brind
24-11-2003, 12:43 AM
I tried it.. :D

Didn't do anything, simply stayed in the gear it was in, same as if you try and change up too much, simply won't do it.

zedy1
24-11-2003, 12:46 AM
i usally drive it in auto mode and only use the trip mode when i want to stay in second gear when im teaing some boy racers :D

KiwiTT
24-11-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by zedy1
i usally drive it in auto mode and only use the trip mode when i want to stay in second gear when im teaing some boy racers :D

Agree ... They certainly respect a VR-4 after that.

Brind
24-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Very rarely use tiptronic, I should have more of a play with it really. :)

You can pull away in second if want to, just thought I'd mention it..

JForce
24-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Can anyone explain to me about the fuzzy logic in the box, as in, how does it go about learning my driving style? Will I notice it?

KiwiTT
24-11-2003, 01:52 AM
read this (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/inter/technology/invecs_5at.html) and this (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/docs6/history/html/trans.htm)

Nick VR4
24-11-2003, 12:26 PM
When using the Tip mode it won't let you do anything too stupid
mainly putting in lower gears at high speed INSERT INTO post VALUES ( built in computer)
But you can still rev the nuts out of it especially going up the gears :nono:

When I use Tiptroninc its mainly 3rd 4th 5th gears
Get to a junction or roundabout goes back in D if I remember too
If not you soon know, as your hitting 4k revs if 1st gear :eek:

Nick Mann
24-11-2003, 02:08 PM
I use tiptronic when planning to boot the accelerator whilst cornering. Full auto never gives you the right gear for, say, turning right at a large roundabout and wanting to power through it. Much more satisfying when locked in second! :D I also use it when I am in a line of cars that is slowing down gently, as the VR4 doesn't. It happily coasts along shedding speed over several miles! As my first auto car this bugs me, so I appreciate tiptronic then. As NickVR4, though, I don't tend to stay in tip for long - I bring the stick back over quite quickly.

Brind
24-11-2003, 10:24 PM
One thing as you mentioned Nick Mann, it simply cruises if you release your foot.:cool:
Going down hills you can simply pull your foot off and the car does it's thing, nothing worse than having to brake all the time when going down hill and I don't really like changing down a gear and tlet the engine scream as it keeps the speed in manual cars.