PDA

View Full Version : What can we take on?

djb160
20-01-2007, 02:05 AM
In a quick sprint what should a stock leggy VR4 be able to take on. Also what not to take on?
Also is tip better for driving hard by lots or not so much, Also how?

Wodjno
20-01-2007, 11:29 AM
In a quick sprint what should a stock leggy VR4 be able to take on. Also what not to take on?
Also is tip better for driving hard by lots or not so much, Also how?

Take on anything you want :scholar: Don't go by book figures of cars to work out what you can beat and what you can't beat... :inquisiti It can decided by a multitude of factors: Car, state of tune, state of car itself, conditions, tyres, weather, type of road, driver. All of these in each of there different situations can make for faster cars losing out to much lower powered cars. :thinking:
Just get out there and have some fun and don't be worried about being beaten /pan

You will be suprised by some cars out there, not just by 1's that Muller you, also 1's that get Mullered by you that you never would have happened in a million years.. /rally

colVR4
20-01-2007, 11:44 AM
I have found that if the road is even a little damp then any of the big power 2wd cars are no match from a standing start or around the twisty bits (200sx, supra, BMW, 350Z, RX7, etc).

Wodjno
20-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I have found that if the road is even a little damp then any of the big power 2wd cars are no match from a standing start or around the twisty bits (200sx, supra, BMW, 350Z, RX7, etc).

His car is Stock Col /toycar

djb160
20-01-2007, 10:05 PM
yeah I think it be a while before I take on a supra lol. I was more meaning What basic guides are there? Say 2lt cars 2lt turbed etc. Should I be able to take all 2 litre non-turbo cars including honda type R's. I dont see many beamers or supras out. Its mostly integra, wrx, legacy, lancer.

djb160
20-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh and cant forget skylines, every fifth car is a skyline of some sort.

WildCards
20-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Look at bhp/ton figures for similiar real world performance, but as Glenn said, there are alot of deciding factors invloved which will be unique to the situtation.

As a rule of thumb though you should spank the likes of CTR's, ATR's, Cupra R's, ST220's, GSi's, 20v Turbo's, TT's, 1.8T's, vRS's, most GTi's and a few others.

Rossco Type-S
21-01-2007, 06:47 AM
yeah I think it be a while before I take on a supra lol. I was more meaning What basic guides are there? Say 2lt cars 2lt turbed etc. Should I be able to take all 2 litre non-turbo cars including honda type R's. I dont see many beamers or supras out. Its mostly integra, wrx, legacy, lancer.

In an unmodified VR4 from a standing start you will beat or at least match most cars you will come across day to day including all but the latest australian V8s. You'd be suprised how easily a non-sti WRX can be beaten. Legacies are highly overated and integras are no match, although apparently a 2 Litre Type-R will start to catch up on a non-modified VR4 at high speeds.

Skylines are a dark horse because you can't judge on their horsepower by looking at them, so you can beat some but not others.

Don't bother with Evos and STi WRXs (except maybe pre 1995 models)

VR4s with aftermarket 3 inch exhaust systems, upgraded airfilters and increased boost (especially if done by upgraded ECU) are very quick and will match it with all but really serious cars.

Rossco Type-S
21-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Look at bhp/ton figures for similiar real world performance, but as Glenn said, there are alot of deciding factors invloved which will be unique to the situtation.

As a rule of thumb though you should spank the likes of CTR's, ATR's, Cupra R's, ST220's, GSi's, 20v Turbo's, TT's, 1.8T's, vRS's, most GTi's and a few others.

He is in NZ we don't get all that European crap here

Subaru ETA
21-01-2007, 06:53 AM
i raced an evo and we were even (from sbout a 100kmh start all the way up to 165 - 170 then he just sarted to creap away.... one of the big factors is the driver, you got to know what gear to chop when you are going to race etc

djb160
21-01-2007, 08:28 AM
He is in NZ we don't get all that European crap here

Thank god. I didnt recognise most of thos models. Ive got a BMC panel filter already, I was told they were good. I can't afford much else for a while now coz of my stupid kit needing putting on. Of the three mods mentioned, Ive got one, what order and expense are the other two (give or take $500 for the exhaust).

djb160
21-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Im interested in a better ECU, is it worth getting a facelift one or just forking out for something better. Whats the best way to go fast in a tip. Ive noticed 1st is a bit of a joke for me. My cars boost guage most goes up to 6.5 psi under load, is this about right?

djb160
21-01-2007, 08:33 AM
sorry for all the posts, but Ive also got some NGK iridiums to go in, will they make a noticable difference, or are they just better for the engine. Not sure whats in at the moment. anyone notice a difference between 95 and 98 gas?

Rossco Type-S
21-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Im interested in a better ECU, is it worth getting a facelift one or just forking out for something better. Whats the best way to go fast in a tip. Ive noticed 1st is a bit of a joke for me. My cars boost guage most goes up to 6.5 psi under load, is this about right?

1st gear should be good in a tip. You are probably having performance issues from using 91 gas.

6.5psi is about right for a prefacelift auto.

it appears that all a facelift ECU does is increase the boost slightly and remap the fuel injection to match that increase. A $60 manual boost tap would give you better benefits. Brand new a ECU either piggy back or replacement like a Mines is going to cost $1500 to $2000. Second hand Mines chips come up occassionaly on Trademe for about $500. My old car had one, nad the performance was incredible. Totally different car to my current unmodified facelift.

Here is a Mines chip on TM:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Mitsubishi/Electrics/auction-84714661.htm

Subaru ETA
21-01-2007, 09:35 AM
im going to get some info on a unichip. i was told that it would give about 10kw to my str so i didnt bother but i thing with my vr4 running 14.5 psi plus the chip it would make it abit of a weapon,

as for the plugs how many k's has your car done bro? they are probably rooted anyway so new plugs will give u better economy and more power under boost

djb160
21-01-2007, 09:58 AM
78000 or so, not sure if the guys I bought it off changed them though, or if they did probably just the front three given the arse back ones. Another question is everyone recomends eagle F1s as tyres. But the min is 225, im running 215/25/19s at the mo, is it going to rub if I get eagles for my next set. How much are they for 4?

bradc
21-01-2007, 10:50 AM
You should be able to take on any jap car other than GTR's, Supra's, STI's and EVO's without a problem and with a couple of mods as described above you will be able to keep up with almost anything apart from stupidly expensive cars :)

Changing the plugs is defiantely a good idea as well as doing the other mentioned mods without spending huge amounts.

As for the tyres, if the mags are the right offset, around 38mm then you should be fine with 225/35/19, but make sure that your wheels are 7.5" or 8" wide. 225 wide tyres on 7" wide wheels aren't ideal.

paulmc
21-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I tried an RS6 once, My VR4 had 306bhp. I was thrashing my car like mad and he just slowly pulled away. Not as much as I thought he would though

pitslayer
21-01-2007, 04:12 PM
alot of things actually providing you cant drive, ive got the 2.5 V6, (no VR4 for me :( ) and ive taken quite a few things, new audi turbos are funny to take....ive also taken a new bmw 6 series and a new saab turbo, at the same time, we all wanted to go fast they couldnt drive...and i beat them.....then slowed down to the speed limit as the bmw went screaming past....he was then pulled over by the cops next dual carriageway down..... all depends, i mean i tryed to take on a GTi the other day, and lost....mind you he was in better gear going up hill, lol i was trying to over take from 30mph in 3rd gear should be in 2nd.....blew him away next 60mph stretch

Rossco Type-S
22-01-2007, 05:30 AM
I tried an RS6 once, My VR4 had 306bhp. I was thrashing my car like mad and he just slowly pulled away. Not as much as I thought he would though

That's brave. Wonder how hard the RS6 was pushing?

paulmc
22-01-2007, 06:55 PM
That's brave. Wonder how hard the RS6 was pushing?

Hard to say.

We were stuck behind a slow car on the dual carriageway around 50mph I think cant remember now, the slow car pulled over and we both put the foot down he slowed around 90 / 100mph.